Armchair GM III

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Garland is young and he has a few years left on his contract so this isn’t your usual deadline rental. I wonder what the price might look like here. I’ve seen what we have given up 1sts to get in the past so have a bad feeling this wouldn’t be even remotely cheap. Not an expert…

Garland has 4 more years at $4.95M per. He is 5'10" and 165lbs. I thought he was bigger than that. Not sure we want to go small again for that long. He has 24pts with 10/14 so he is not lighting it up but is young at 25 about to turn 26 in March. I might look to see who else is out there...

Reactions: LCPreds

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
No interest in Garland. We got rid of our smaller guys and we're better for it.

I'd go after Giroux or Kessel to bolster scoring on the 2nd line.

Move Kunin to the fourth line to play with Cousins and Tomasino.

I think you'd have 4 pretty solid lines to compete with in the playoffs.

If we're looking to add D, I'd see if we could pry Manson away from Anaheim. It would add some nice size on the back end.

Reactions: weeze

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
I’m not sure what the fascination is with adding pieces at the deadline. This isn’t exclusive to our fan base. It very rarely works and is just a waste of assets. Depth pieces at the deadline are okay. It’s a war of attrition but there is no way whatsoever you give up significant capital to “improve” this team. we have outperformed every person’s expectation and then some. worry about locking up Forsberg and that’s it. Just my humble opinion.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
No interest in Garland. We got rid of our smaller guys and we're better for it.

I'd go after Giroux or Kessel to bolster scoring on the 2nd line.

Move Kunin to the fourth line to play with Cousins and Tomasino.

I think you'd have 4 pretty solid lines to compete with in the playoffs.

If we're looking to add D, I'd see if we could pry Manson away from Anaheim. It would add some nice size on the back end.
I'm not sure any of Giroux, Kessel, Manson would be worth the prices we'd have to pay for them (assuming rentals) but I'm on board with the rest of the post.

Reactions: triggrman

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I can definitely see the appeal of wanting to add another top six forward to round out this lineup, but I also really hate the idea of giving up assets to do it especially for a rental. Someone who is a long term addition to the team like Garland is a bit more intriguing, but I'm also still hopeful that in the longer term Tolvanen, Kunin, or Tomasino can cement themselves into those roles.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
My main target would be a great 4C / good 3C for some added insurance in case of injuries / covid absence. Just run anyone who is hot on the "2nd line" with Joey; Tolvanen/Tomasino/Kunin/Cousins or one of the herd if their line is broken for any reason.

As usual, I'm not up to date with other teams' bottom six guys, so I don't know who that could be.

On the other hand, if that's what the management thinks is the right choice, I wouldn't mind if they went for a more costly rental. We have a lot of young inexperienced guys in the lineup, so now if ever (during this window) could be the time to add some experience in form of a rental. In the next few years those young guys are more and more experienced, so there's less incentive to acquire some via trade. I mean it makes sense right? We have quite decent core and some promising guys coming up, so it could be worth the risk?

And I don't mean just anyone for the sake of doing it, but if there was a good fit.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I wouldn't hate the idea of Jarnkrok, if he comes cheap. Can play up and down the line, obviously knows the guys/system, and maybe entice #9 to re-sign :sarcasm:

Yeah that would definitely be interesting. He played well with Kunin last year (although a lot of that may have just been those two getting to play with Granlund) so could give him a try in the top six again, and if that doesn't work having him as a 4th line C would be pretty nice too. That being said we know he isn't a playoff performer so that limits my interest a good bit. I wouldn't want to give up much more than a 4th round pick or something which probably doesn't get a deal done.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Yeah that would definitely be interesting. He played well with Kunin last year (although a lot of that may have just been those two getting to play with Granlund) so could give him a try in the top six again, and if that doesn't work having him as a 4th line C would be pretty nice too. That being said we know he isn't a playoff performer so that limits my interest a good bit. I wouldn't want to give up much more than a 4th round pick or something which probably doesn't get a deal done.

No thanks, been there done that. Has no grit, doesn't score in post season.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
I would love Giroux, but the price is likely way too high especially for a rental. And if were trying to keep Forsberg, we likely cant re-sign Giroux either unless we move more salary out. I would maybe like the use a later round pick to just pickup the best possible depth pieces as we can.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Isn't this the same tactic Ekholm's agent used?

Ek still had a year left on his deal.

Forsberg, according to other posts, is mainly worried about being traded.

I'm guessing there will be some intense discussion a week or two before the deadline

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

I'm guessing there will be some intense discussion a week or two before the deadline
Sounds like Poile better start feeding the rumor mill. I hear Forsberg is available... Leafs interested... :naughty:

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville

I meant earlier this year with his agent going to the press to say basically the same thing.

Reactions: PredsV82

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Screw that. Tell him you have a deal worked out with Arizona lol.
Naw, as soon as the crazies in Toronto get hold of the idea, it'll be EVERYWHERE... they'll think it's 100% plausible. Nobody would believe Arizona, and nobody would cover that story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad