Armchair GM Draft, 2019 (Picks only)

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
With their 2nd pick, the 16th overall selection, the Fremen are happy to select, C Mark Messier

messier_mark1280-1040x572.jpg

There have been many great power forwards in NHL history, but not many at C. Messier had it all. Skill, pace, good defensively, could fight, was dirty, mean and nasty. Messier was part of the Oilers dynasty, and was 2nd line center to the Great One. Winning 4 Cups together. But Messier did something that Wayne did not. That was winning the Cup apart from each other. Messier lead the Gretzky-less Oilers to a Cup, and also was the leader of '94 Rangers Cup winning season.

Messier is the only player to ever captain two franchises to Stanley Cup victory! Doing that, took him out of any shadow that Gretzky had shown on him, and he became a legend in his own right.

Mess was a 6 time Stanley Cup winner. Winning the Conn Smythe in '83-84. And he won the Hart trophy twice. Once in 89-90, and also 91-92. Also winning the Pearson twice. One of the most complete players in NHL history.

He finished his carer at over a PPG. With 1887 points. 694 goals.

15x's All-star!

63 shorthanded goals!

Stan Fischler: "Messier is a latter day Gordie Howe."

A good watch below, if you have a few minutes.
https://thehockeywriters.com/mark-messier-nhl-legend/

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The Skating Jabronis are miserable to have been forced to select that great hockey jedi knight Ovi Wan Jabroni . . .

ALEX OVECHKIN - LW

I hate you all for making me do this, and I'm sure as **** not going to pimp my pick with a video showing him skewering Penguins goalies . . . :rant:

Last edited:
Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The KINKY KIRKS war room is errupting in celebration Bob...

They rush the card up to the podium and select... Connor McDavid!

Now let’s head back to the KIRKS war room where Lisa has...

Oh my lord... can they do that on live TV? Cut to a commercial! NOW!

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The KINKY KIRKS war room is errupting in celebration Bob...

They rush the card up to the podium and select... Connor McDavid!

Now let’s head back to the KIRKS war room where Lisa has...

Oh my lord... can they do that on live TV? Cut to a commercial! NOW!

The Skating Jabronis are miserable to have been forced to select that great hockey jedi knight Ovi Wan Jabroni . . .

ALEX OVECHKIN - LW

I hate you all for making me do this, and I'm sure as **** not going to pimp my pick with a video showing him skewering Penguins goalies . . . :rant:

We will always have this...

Reactions: td_ice

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
The Gentlemen Bastards are proud to select, C Peter Šťastný

3615570.jpg

In the high-scoring NHL of the 1980s, Stastny was a beacon of production. His 1,059 points during the decade were second only to the 1,842 scored by Wayne Gretzky, and he is one of seven players in NHL history to record six consecutive seasons of 100 or more points. Stastny skated in six NHL All-Star Games and was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1998, but the impact that he made on the game went far beyond the accolades. He set the standard for European-trained NHL players.

Here's some fun milestones:
  • 4th fastest player in NHL history to score 200 points (131 GP) behind Wayne Gretzky (117), Mario Lemieux (128) & Cy Denneny (130)
  • 2nd fastest player in NHL history to score 300 points (186 GP) behind Wayne Gretzky (159) tied with Mario Lemieux (186)
  • 3rd fastest player in NHL history to score 400 points (247 GP) behind Wayne Gretzky (197) & Mario Lemieux (240)
  • 3rd fastest player in NHL history to score 500 points (322 GP) behind Wayne Gretzky (234) & Mario Lemieux (287)
  • 3rd fastest player in NHL history to score 600 points (394 GP) behind Wayne Gretzky (273) & Mario Lemieux (323)
  • 3rd fastest player in NHL history to score 700 points (457 GP) behind Wayne Gretzky (317) & Mario Lemieux (363)
  • 4th fastest player in NHL history to score 800 points (531 GP) behind Wayne Gretzky (352) & Mario Lemieux (410) & Mike Bossy (525)
  • 4th fastest player in NHL history to score 900 points (599 GP) behind Wayne Gretzky (385) Mario Lemieux (463) & Mike Bossy (582)
  • 4th fastest player in NHL history to score 1,000 points (682 GP) behind Wayne Gretzky (424) Mario Lemieux (513) & Mike Bossy (656)
977 Games Played
450 Goals Scored
668 Assists

1.27 P/G (4th among ATD qualified skaters)
0.81 A/G (5th among ATD qualified skaters)
0.46 G/G (28th among ATD qualified skaters)

Reactions: Shady Machine

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
The Gentleman Bastards are overjoyed to select, C Peter Forsberg

Peter-Forsberg-Nordiques.jpg

upload_2019-2-15_8-30-29.png

Arguably the greatest Swedish forward to ever play the game. Forsberg was a very good all-around player and had no weaknesses other than the fact that he was so prone to injury. He had a skillset that very few players in the world could match. Forsberg was an excellent playmaker, had fine technical skills, great on-ice vision, a strong physical game, was above average defensively and he also had a good shot, which he however could have used more often. His career was shortened due to some freak injuries (reptured spleen that cost him a season and change) and refusing to soften his game as he got older.

Peter Forsberg was a superstar forward, with outstanding playmaking skills and great vision who possesses an excellent combination of skill and physical play. In the prime of his career, he was considered by many as the best two-way player in the world. Capable of combining physical play and hitting with skill, he was also acclaimed for being responsible offensively and defensively. Said to have a Wayne Gretzky-like passing touch, he has been complimented by journalists and players for making the players around him better.

708 Games Played
249 Goals
636 Assists

1.25 P/G (5th among ATD qualified skaters)
0.90 A/G (3rd among ATD qualified skaters)
0.35 G/G

Forsberg-Goal-Optimized03.gif

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
My apologies everyone for missing my picks. Without further ado, the Thicc Johnsons select Teemu Selanne! One of my favorite players and one of the best goal scorers of all time, it was an easy pick.

My next pick is Adam Oates. A great player with superb passing ability, another one of my favorites.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Jiggy sent along his pick...

Kinky Kirks select, C Eric Lindros

upload_2019-2-15_13-55-23-jpeg.186985

ETA- Jiggy felt this was a more appropriate picture.

Via Jiggy:

Have to say I’m pretty astounded Lindros lasted this long. Had him targeted for quite some time, but when McDavid dropped into my lap I had to grab him first.

As a Pens fan I had the displeasure of watching Lindros in his prime and he was an absolute monster like I’ve never seen. He was the most physically dominant center to ever play the game.

He was like a freight train on skates with a smaller mans hands. Simply put, he was a freak of nature.

Lindros was so physically intimidating that blueliners would constantly bail on puck retrievals when they saw him coming. He was an immovable object in front of the net with gifted hands and a laser shot.

When he started a cycle, it took an act of god to get the puck from him. Probably the most dominant player I’ve ever seen on the boards.

He was also a very gifted playmaker as well and constantly left my jaw dropped with the passes he would dish out.

He was also an ace in the dot, extremely good defensively, and a great PK guy. He’s the ideal third pivot for the KIRKS and I’m beyond stoked to add him to my insane center stable with Crosby and McDavid.

Last edited:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Based on the selections of Foppa and Mr Concussion Head, it appears that we are picking players who are starting the Gretzky Draft playoffs fully healthy.

In that case, The Skating Jabronis are going to select the player . . .

* With more points in a single playoff than any player not named Gretzky, Lemieux, or Coffey.
* #13 overall of the Gretzky Draft era in playoff PPG and #18 overall of the Gretzky draft era in total points.
* The only player not named Gretzky or Lemieux to lead the league in scoring in the regular season and the playoffs.
* The only player of the Gretzky Draft era not named Lemieux or Gretzky with a Conn Smythe, a Hart, an Art Ross, and a Calder Trophy all adorning his living room.
* A player who won that Conn Smythe centering Ruslan ******* Fedotenko and Max 'Superstar' Talbot.
* The player Mario Lemieux once said when asked who he reminded him of replied 'ME!', and the player *****head Pierre McGuire once called Ron Francis on Steroids.
* A player with the versatility to play any forward position well, having playing on the LW as a rookie with Crosby and Armstrong while enjoying great success and subsequently on the RW for a series of games or within games as coaches decided that the Pens needed to unite Crosby and Malkin to create a spark.

If The Skating Jabronis can't have Mario, then after witnessing how players with injury histories are being valued as fully healthy to start the Gretzky Draft playoffs, our war room has decided to 'settle' for 'shades of Mario' . . .

The Skating Jabronis select . . .

EVGENI MALKIN - C

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The Girthy Bjugstud Biggies select - Denis Charles Potvin.

• Retired having scored 310 goals and 742 assists for 1,052 points (at the time, the NHL career leader in all those categories for defencemen) in 1,060 games, adding 1,356 penalty minutes.
  • First NHL defenceman to reach 300 goals in regular season.
  • First NHL defenceman to reach 1,000 career points.
  • First player to reach 100 playoff assists in NHL history.
  • Retired as the NHL career leader in playoff goals, assists, and points for defencemen.
  • Led the 1976 Canada Cup tournament in assists (8)
  • Led the 1976 Canada Cup tournament in points (9)
  • Led the 1976 Canada Cup tournament in penalty in minutes (16)
  • 43rd all-time in assists, and 10th among defencemen, as of the end of the 2013–14 season.
  • 66th all-time in points, as of the end of the 2013–14 season.
  • Won the James Norris Memorial Trophy as the NHL's best defenceman in 1976, 1978, and 1979.
  • His jersey #5 was retired by the Islanders on February 1, 1992, the first such honor bestowed by the franchise.
  • In 1991, he was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame and Ottawa Sports Hall of Fame.
  • In 1998, he was ranked number 19 on The Hockey News' list of the 100 Greatest Hockey Players.
  • In 2002, he was inducted into the Nassau County Sports Hall of Fame.
  • One of only two players (Bryan Trottier being the other) to play 1,000 games in an Islanders uniform

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The Girthy Bjugstud Biggies select - Denis Charles Potvin.

• Retired having scored 310 goals and 742 assists for 1,052 points (at the time, the NHL career leader in all those categories for defencemen) in 1,060 games, adding 1,356 penalty minutes.
  • First NHL defenceman to reach 300 goals in regular season.
  • First NHL defenceman to reach 1,000 career points.
  • First player to reach 100 playoff assists in NHL history.
  • Retired as the NHL career leader in playoff goals, assists, and points for defencemen.
  • Led the 1976 Canada Cup tournament in assists (8)
  • Led the 1976 Canada Cup tournament in points (9)
  • Led the 1976 Canada Cup tournament in penalty in minutes (16)
  • 43rd all-time in assists, and 10th among defencemen, as of the end of the 2013–14 season.
  • 66th all-time in points, as of the end of the 2013–14 season.
  • Won the James Norris Memorial Trophy as the NHL's best defenceman in 1976, 1978, and 1979.
  • His jersey #5 was retired by the Islanders on February 1, 1992, the first such honor bestowed by the franchise.
  • In 1991, he was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame and Ottawa Sports Hall of Fame.
  • In 1998, he was ranked number 19 on The Hockey News' list of the 100 Greatest Hockey Players.
  • In 2002, he was inducted into the Nassau County Sports Hall of Fame.
  • One of only two players (Bryan Trottier being the other) to play 1,000 games in an Islanders uniform

Potvin is a NO GO. It's only players who BEGAN their NHL career in 1979 or thereafter. That's Rule #1 at the top of the page.

cc: @td_ice, @Winger for Hire

Last edited:
Reactions: td_ice

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
With their 3rd round selection, the 33rd overall, The Fighting Fremen are pleased to select, D- Chris Pronger

52f27cde43355.image.jpg

The only defensemen since the Gretzky era began, to win the HART TROPHY. Dmen have the Norris, which Pronger has also won, but you know it's a pretty special season when you take the Hart trophy home as a dmen. The first defensemen to do so, since Bobby Orr.

A towering 6-6, 220 lbs of nasty, skilled defensemen. With the greats of game, Pronger will present a formidable challenge to all forwards that he plays against. 5 time All star, Stanley Cup winner with Anaheim.

Always a pain to play against, Pronger with that great wing span, mean disposition, ability to skate well, is exactly what the Fremen wanted for their 1st D pairing.

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
NIEDERMAYER COMPLETE.jpg

3rd round selection, 34th overall pick, the Puck Time Pilots select the driving force from the blue line for BOTH the NJ Devils and the Anaheim Ducks, and helping to lead both those teams to Cup titles...
Scott Niedermayer!

5-time All Star
Norris Trophy Winner -2004
Conn Smythe Winner - 2007
4-time Stanley Cup Champion (3, NJ...1, Ana)

He transformed "boring" NJ trap hockey into dynamic offensive attacks and with not only superior vision and speed on the ice, he also had a pretty nice shot, accurate, so much so, that it was easy for his large net front teammates to get deflection goals while Nieder racked up the assists.

Did the same for Anaheim, who also employed a more defensive system till he arrived. He made it possible for the Ducks to unleash their forwards a bit more while he not only quarterbacked any given even strength situation, but the deadly PP as well...deadly because HE was back there making things move!

Clutch n grab era, free wheeling era, offensive team, defensive team...didn't matter to Niedermayer.
He was there to create offense, had an underrated defensive game (career +167!), and had speed to burn to help cover any mistakes by either himself or his teammates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad