Armchair GM Draft, 2019 (Discussion Only)

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Sonova.....Forsberg, Lindros, Modano, centers dropping like flies lately. Considered all three of 'em for my top line.

I hate to telegraph my next pick but all these quality centers getting snapped up is making this very tricky! :laugh:

Reactions: Shady Machine

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
And I just took one.

Was really torn on Geno, but given the picks of Foppa and Mr Concussion Head, it's clear that we're assuming players will be healthy for the start of the Gretzky Draft playoffs. And, I'm not sure there are 5 centers in the Gretzky Draft era Geno.

So, I viewed him as more valuable with some of the long tenured centers who started in the 80's and 90's.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Yeah, was hoping that somehow Geno would drop to me, but I knew that wasn't going to happen.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I wanted him lol. I'm saying it's predictable and I'm mad you beat me to it.

Oh. :laugh:

Well, I was going to take Mr Concussion Head to center Ovechkin, but @Mr Jiggyfly beat me to it. So, really, it's HIS fault. :D

Reason I was torn on Geno is he's not the center for Ovi. As we've seen, they don't necessarily mix, so I still need a center for Ovi . . . and wingers for Geno (although Geno's used to getting the short end of the stick in that regard).

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
And I just took one.

Was really torn on Geno, but given the picks of Foppa and Mr Concussion Head, it's clear that we're assuming players will be healthy for the start of the Gretzky Draft playoffs. And, I'm not sure there are 5 centers in the Gretzky Draft era Geno.

So, I viewed him as more valuable with some of the long tenured centers who started in the 80's and 90's.

I was so close to uniting Lindros and Stevens on the same team.....I figured with Stevens helping him out instead of hunting him down, he'd be unstoppable! :laugh:

I’m assuming all guys we draft are smack in their best prime years and healthy, not suffering from concussions, bad backs and such. Also assuming current NHL rules would be in place, meaning guys can’t legally cheap shot each other in the head.

So I’m assuming Lindros will be even more unstoppable now because he can’t be brained by Stevens.

Just seems logical.

Last edited:
Reactions: KIRK

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I’m assuming all guys we draft are smack in their best prime years and healthy, not suffering from concussions, bad backs and such.

If Orr was eligible, would any of us pass over him because he had bum knees that cut his career tragically short?
Yeah, we are assuming each of these guys in their prime years, correct.

I think the injury part would only come into effect, if it were a recurring issue throughout ones career. If it is, then that is up to each voter to decide relative health.

But yes, you are correct in your statement.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Health is assumed for all players, with in reason. You can't take a guy like Foppa and double shift him every game for 82 games and expect both health and high level play, but, within reason, everyone should assume you're getting the best version of the player you're drafting with normal fatigue issues if someone is playing above and beyond their roles.... like Sean Avery centering your 2nd line, top PK unit, Power Play QB, and crunch time double shifter, he's gonna get tired and less effective and probably banged up.

However, having Mario play 1st line minutes, top PP and occasional PK is normal play for him and should have no adverse effects.

Reactions: KIRK and td_ice

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yeah, we are assuming each of these guys in their prime years, correct.

I think the injury part would only come into effect, if it were a recurring issue throughout ones career. If it is, then that is up to each voter to decide relative health.

But yes, you are correct in your statement.

Ya I ninja edited my post to include the assumption these games are played under current NHL rules.

Ie Stevens couldn’t legally target Lindros head. I think it’s fair to assume that would make Lindros almost unstoppable TBTH.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I’m assuming all guys we draft are smack in their best prime years and healthy, not suffering from concussions, bad backs and such. Also assuming current NHL rules would be in place, meaning guys can’t legally cheap shot each other in the head.

So I’m assuming Lindros will be even more unstoppable now because he can’t be brained by Stevens.

Just seems logical.

Yeah, but even now in the playoffs, the refs would call that Stevens hit 'letting them play' :D

Reactions: Winger for Hire

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Ya I ninja edited my post to include the assumption these games are played under current NHL rules.

Ie Stevens couldn’t legally target Lindros head. I think it’s fair to assume that would make Lindros almost unstoppable TBTH.

Yep, I would say the game would be played under current rules.

So the headshots would be out. but I would definitely assume that a guy like Stevens and their ilk, would still be lining up guys up and taking the body, but doing so without the big head shots. Especially guys like Stevens and others, that could really skate. They would adapt fine, imo. Guys that weren't so fluid and fleet of foot, you may find them wanting in today's current setting.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Mario's wrist rejoices

When I draft Graves, he'll do it again and take the suspension.

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad