Speculation: Armchair GM 2023 Off-Season Edition: The Summer Without Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
The idea we would burn it to the ground is unrealistic not that it might not be the best thing for us but we are the Flames we won't rebuild until we don't have a choice.

As long as we give phillips, Pelletier, and Ruzicka a real chance I'll be happy

Nov 24, 2017
Calgary, Alberta
As much as I like Tanev, would be a good move to ship him out this summer. Same with Toffoli and maybe Zadorov. Capitalize on these guys and retool, keep Backs if he’ll stay. But surround the older core with younger faster guys.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Regardless of who is moved the potential forward core--if the Flames intend to play youth--is looking pretty full. We can pretty reasonably hope for all of the following players to be regulars next season:
Huberdeau, Kadri, Dube, Toffoli, Lindholm, Mangiapane, Backlund, Coleman, Pelletier, Coronato, Ruzicka, Duehr.

So if there is a push for youth, what opens up for Zary/Phillips? Or really any other potential 13th forward? That'd be a lot of youth making up the bottom 6. Same with the d-core. 6 D alread signed with someone like Poirier pushing the envelope.

Smart cap moves that create opportunity + maximize return could look like Toffoli/Lindholm + Hanifin + Vladar out the door. Draft is looking stacked, Flames could easily get a guy who is 1-2 years out of helping at the NHL level. If they end up with good draft lotto luck that could expedite the timeline/effectiveness of youth in the lineup. Either way maintaining the same exact look up front is a non-option

Reactions: BobColesNasalCavity

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Moving Coleman would go a long way to help fix the cap issues and open up a spot for the younger players
He would be pretty significant for cap long-term but the big question would be return. Coming into a potential retool year do we feel we can afford to move pick(s) to get him off the table? Toffoli could easily fetch a 1st+ this upcoming season.

Further, he'd also be the one taking high quality ice time from a player like Coronato--Coleman and Coronato aren't likely to see early overlap in terms role/responsibility. Moving Toffoli creates a spot to move a healthy Mangiapane or Coronato up with Huberdeau + Lindholm while the other gets to play with Kadri + powerplay time. Coleman would just be there to clean up PK and 3rd line ice time which shouldn't interfere with any prospect, really. Maybe Duehr fighting for 3rd line? Grass just seems greener on the Toffoli side

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
The idea we would burn it to the ground is unrealistic not that it might not be the best thing for us but we are the Flames we won't rebuild until we don't have a choice.

As long as we give phillips, Pelletier, and Ruzicka a real chance I'll be happy

Murray won't let you burn it down completely but I think you can convince him that a re-tool can work. Sell off the older UFAs now, bring in the youth and use the picks and prospects brought in from trading the older players to add younger players who have priced themselves out of teams up against the cap or who have been underperforming where they are and need a change of scenery. It alleviates the cap crunch and gives him just enough hope for his playoff revenue.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Has anyone done a post-mortem - good bad and ugly - on Treliving's tenure yet? Could someone please link me to it? Whats the general consensus on his time here out of ten? I think lots of people want to give it a 7.5 when really its closer to a 6.

Reactions: Tofveve

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I'd be moving any and all of our big contract guys. I don't think we'd notice much of a difference without Mangi and Coleman. And I like the effort Blake brings. Get value for those 2, especially Mangi.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Has anyone done a post-mortem - good bad and ugly - on Treliving's tenure yet? Could someone please link me to it? Whats the general consensus on his time here out of ten? I think lots of people want to give it a 7.5 when really its closer to a 6.
Lol 7.5 with Bennett and Tkachuk ripping it up in the playoffs

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
The scary thing is that he is the best GM we have had since Fletcher left in 1991

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

You can't focus purely on the on ice stuff. You have to look at the off ice stuff too.

Treliving overhauled our failure of a farm system (location and methodology) and implemented a policy that actually develops our prospects and reduces the risk of losing them to non injury related issues. (Moved from Adirondack to Stockton to Calgary; got rid of coaches like Troy Ward who was basically destroying prospects ranging from Klimchuk, Poirier, Baertschi etc.).

Improved our mental health and substance abuse program/reduced stigma internally from our org's perspective. (McGratton+)

He broke the buyout barrier. (Although the retention barrier remains)

He reduced ownership review of all moves. (Lower moves can be done without ownership review I believe, but still lots of CSEC monitoring and red tape)

He navigated not one but two major off ice controversies (Wideman + Peters).

He overhauled scouting and drafting mandates and gave scouts opportunities to flex and run which paid off.

He overhauled summer camp from a competition league that was more detrimental than helpful to a development opportunity that improves our prospects education as well as aids improvements to how invites view our org. (Teaching nutrition, cooking, effective exercises etc.)

And ignoring the overall of the NHL roster, we can at least say he left the prospect pool and roster better than he found it.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Both guys who didn't want to be in Calgary anymore. The latter part being the question marks around Treliving's tenure - too many players asking to be traded, is that a result of a culture that Tre created?
He allowed successive coaches to misuse Bennett...I always thought Sam handled the puck like a hand grenade, but he has unique skills. In the end he didn't want to be a 3LW anymore. Tre playing hardball with his RFAs too...

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Two trades I'd be happy to see if the new GM doesnt want to burn it down

WPG:
Ehlers
CGY:
Hanifin, Vladar

PHI:
Konecny
CGY:
16th overall

Huberdeau - Lindholm - Toffoli
Mangiapane - Kadri - Ehlers
Dube - Backlund - Konecny
Young gun line

Reactions: Rockmorton

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

WPG:
Ehlers
CGY:
Hanifin, Vladar

PHI:
Konecny
CGY:
16th overall

Young gun line

Hanifin for Ehlers is fine but if they would have to be an idiot to trade another pick. Brad threw away picks all the time, we need to draft the replacements for these bums.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014

WPG:
Ehlers
CGY:
Hanifin, Vladar

PHI:
Konecny
CGY:
16th overall

Young gun line
Before any trades are made to improve this roster they need to Determine Lindholm's desires - if he is even remotely hesitant to re-sign even with Sutter gone, he needs to be traded (at the draft would probably get the best return)

Lindholm is the lynchpin to the offseason and what they need to do. If he goes they need to do a complete "retool" by selling the rest of the pending UFA's for picks, prospects or young (under 23) roster players.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

WPG:
Ehlers
CGY:
Hanifin, Vladar

PHI:
Konecny
CGY:
16th overall

Young gun line

Anyone see the Dubois fit in Calgary?
There's the Montreal area connection between he and Huberdeau; plus for how much Quebecers publicly denounce Western Canada, they certainly have a significant population out here :laugh:

This team won't rebuild, guys. They had a chance to rebuild last summer and they opted out of it. It just won't happen, not with the core group they have here. Anyone wishing that is just setting themselves up for misery/anger. They'll tinker and run this team back, considering they just missed the playoffs with near mutiny levels of team morale, I think it's safe to say they they'll have a new coach and try it again. The team is talented enough to win many more games than they did last year.

It's imperative on whomever the new GM is, to take advantage of these teams that will go for sweeping changes based on outcomes. For example, the Leafs that might knee-jerk trade Marner or Nylander for the sake of doing it. Jets who want something new. Rangers who'll need to open cap.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
They'll tinker and run this team back, considering they just missed the playoffs with near mutiny levels of team morale,
and 17 OT losses. They've gone down the path of 'win now.' They have to augment the roster if possible.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
and 17 OT losses. They've gone down the path of 'win now.' They have to augment the roster if possible.

Fresh coach.
A bit more open ice play.
Morale boost from the arena deal.
New GM/Attitude
Additional scoring up front.

Honestly, if this team won 50 games next season I wouldn't bat an eye.

Reactions: Rockmorton

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Anyone see the Dubois fit in Calgary?
There's the Montreal area connection between he and Huberdeau; plus for how much Quebecers publicly denounce Western Canada, they certainly have a significant population out here :laugh:

No more centers unless they are elite #1 centers. We have centers, 3 of them making more than 4.5 million. No more players coming off RFA that will want a massive raise or to go somewhere else either. Don't see a fit at all actually.

This team won't rebuild, guys. They had a chance to rebuild last summer and they opted out of it. It just won't happen, not with the core group they have here. Anyone wishing that is just setting themselves up for misery/anger. They'll tinker and run this team back, considering they just missed the playoffs with near mutiny levels of team morale, I think it's safe to say they they'll have a new coach and try it again. The team is talented enough to win many more games than they did last year.

It's imperative on whomever the new GM is, to take advantage of these teams that will go for sweeping changes based on outcomes. For example, the Leafs that might knee-jerk trade Marner or Nylander for the sake of doing it. Jets who want something new. Rangers who'll need to open cap.

Of course they won't rebuild. That is known Khaleesi. It's right there in the Flames mission statement :
maxresdefault.jpg

What the new management group needs to do though is be willing to actually build a team. There's been a lot of them but this season more than anything just looked like a bunch of rotten fruit thrown at a wall. I had a bad feeling about this season ever since training camp, when a lot of young guys were very early cuts. If Nylander is available sure I'm down but for the most part I would stay away from new pro acquisitions. Would like to see a much more competitive camp. Look at the spark an undrafted college guy Duehr gave the team this year. I would give guys like him, Klapka, MEP, Zary, Schwindt or even guys like Solovyov a long look to make the team.

Dillon Dube
Tyler Toffoli
Noah Hanifin

Seem like the three easiest players to walk out the door

Agreed. Hanifin and Toffoli should both return some A assets.

Last edited:
Reactions: BobColesNasalCavity

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
No more centers unless they are elite #1 centers. We have centers, 3 of them making more than 4.5 million. No more players coming off RFA that will want a massive raise or to go somewhere else either. Don't see a fit at all actually.

What the new management group needs to do though is be willing to actually build a team. There's been a lot of them but this season more than anything just looked like a bunch of rotten fruit thrown at a wall. I had a bad feeling about this season ever since training camp, when a lot of young guys were very early cuts. If Nylander is available sure I'm down but for the most part I would stay away from new pro acquisitions. Would like to see a much more competitive camp. Look at the spark an undrafted college guy Duehr gave the team this year. I would give guys like him, Klapka, MEP, Zary, Schwindt or even guys like Solovyov a long look to make the team.

I again will reiterate I don't hate how this roster is constructed on the grand scheme.

Jonathan Huberdeau is a star winger that had his worst season ever. Remember, we watched Johnny have two absolute dog shit seasons back to back before it clicked in again he returned to form. The talent is still there, it wouldn't shock me to see him get back up to 85+ points next year.

Elias Lindholm isn't an elite 1A centre, but he's just as talented as guys like Aho or Hintz that are currently centering 2 of the last 4 teams in the league. Kadri/Backlund are a fantastic 2/3 punch if they're playing up to snuff.

I think they need to make room for Pelletier and Coronato regardless. Coleman is unmovable, Mangiapane is coming off a mediocre season. Toffoli just had a monster season, and while you hate to do anything there... man, I think he'd be an A+ asset in the offseason for a team like Colorado that'd want some help on the wings now that Landeskog won't be back until they're like in the playoffs. I wonder what the Avs could put together for a Toffoli & Hanifin deal, like is there a chance you could see Byram or Newhook's name in a deal?

I honestly do hope they keep the competition high, have some of the young guys try and get some roles. I'd love to have a coach that opens up the game a bit more, Calgary is a team with solid speed that played at the speed of smell.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think I will love GM Craig Conroy forever if he manages to get us out of the Kadri contract soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad