Speculation: Armchair GM 2023 Off-Season Edition: The Summer Without Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Running it back like Mr. Bean inferred at presser is all great and such but no cap space (actually have to reduce salary), a coach that won’t play young players and a half core that hates the environment kind of means running it over a cliff not back.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
but all roads are leading to the Sutter decision as the lynchpin and it actually shouldn't matter if they go with a he is coach with a short leash decision.

If they are keeping him and If they did not ask during the exit interviews with the pending UFA crop specifically but also other key players Maloney needs to circle back and ask directly if Sutter is coach next season will you extend or will it be an issue?

if they are not sure, say we will see, or say no or anything but a resounding yes the Flames should not wait until after July 1st but should use the lead up to and the draft to market them. That is when teams have the maximum amount of free cap space and roster flexibility

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I think there’s a weird rule where the team that trades for the player can choose to not continue the players trade clause. Huby with no clauses could make 10.5 easier to move for the next guy and get some teams interested

It's less the NTC and what teams have both the cap space and the desire for Huberdeau's new deal

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Does Duclair for Kyglington on make sense in the off-season?

Calgary gets an offensively minded forward that has chemistry with Huberdeau; Florida gets a good defensive piece. Both contracts have one year left and are risky in as far as both missed a lot of time this year
I'm not sure the cap works for us. We'd have to make the deal bigger for cap reasons or include a second deal to make it work.

But... what if we target Ekblad, and rebuild your dcorps as part of a bigger deal?

Assume we overpay for Ekblad + Duclair and you're getting like Andersson + Hanifin or something. Any interest?

I love for someone to mentally fizzle out trying to call a Huberduberdoo - Dube - Duclair line.

ChrisOsullivan

Jan 20, 2022
I'm betting that Brad Treliving becomes the next GM of the Pittsburgh Penguins. As for the Flames... it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see them give the job to some newbie that Sutter can bully.
If I were Brad, I would not want that job.
Post-Apex everyone, including Generational player(s) that you can't just ship out. It's a bigger mess than CGY x 10!

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
If I were Brad, I would not want that job.
Post-Apex everyone, including Generational player(s) that you can't just ship out. It's a bigger mess than CGY x 10!
Really, I don't think it is really but regardless.
I can absolutely see this scenario
Treliving as POH
Conroy as GM if he does not get Calgary's opening, Pascal as GM if Conroy get it.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Murray as GM please. Older core needs older management group. Move over kids!

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Does Duclair for Kyglington on make sense in the off-season?

Calgary gets an offensively minded forward that has chemistry with Huberdeau; Florida gets a good defensive piece. Both contracts have one year left and are risky in as far as both missed a lot of time this year
the last thing we need is yet another pending UFA forward that chances are WILL have an issue with Sutter in exchange for a pending UFA dman who may actually give the Flames a chance and resign due to how he was treated last season even though that was probably a Treliving thing more than a Sutter/Flames ownership thing.

Reactions: Iggys Dome

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Why we should burn it to the ground right now:

Rasmus Andersson or Noah Hanifin (extended) + 3rd
For Buffalo 13th and Juri Kulich

Elias Lindholm (extended)
For Detroit 9 and 2 2nds down the line

Tanev
Late First

Toffoli
Late first

Backlund
Late first

Trade those two firsts + to Pitt for 14

Sign Hanifin 8 x 6

Draft Sandin-Pelikka/Reinbacher @ 9
Draft 2 of Dvorsky/Yager/Leonard/Moore @ 13/14
Draft Perrault/Wood/Barlow @ 16
Draft E. Moron late first

2024/25 Flames
Huberdeau-Yager-Perrault
Pelletier-Kulich-Coronato
Zary-Dvorsky-Duehr
Ruzicka-Dube-Coleman
Heathy scratch:Kadri

Hanifin-Weegar
Zadorov-Pelikka-Sandin
Poirier-Morin

Wolf

We would probably struggle the next 2 seasons and add two more top prospects.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

Tanev
Late First

Toffoli
Late first

Backlund
Late first

Sign Hanifin 8 x 6

2024/25 Flames
Huberdeau-Yager-Perrault
Zary-Dvorsky-Duehr
Ruzicka-Dube-Coleman

Hanifin-Weegar
Zadorov-Pelikka-Sandin
Poirier-Morin

Wolf

So many 2023 making the team?

Who is the tank commander?

Roadrage

Mar 25, 2010
Next door

Tanev
Late First

Toffoli
Late first

Backlund
Late first

Sign Hanifin 8 x 6

2024/25 Flames
Huberdeau-Yager-Perrault
Zary-Dvorsky-Duehr
Ruzicka-Dube-Coleman

Hanifin-Weegar
Zadorov-Pelikka-Sandin
Poirier-Morin

Wolf

Looks like Flames are fielding an AHL team with a few vets thrown in to reach cap floor.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
WPG: Ehlers
CGY: Hanifin and Vladar

Why for WPG: Adds some legit top 2-4 D help to the jets, and a backup goalie who can play 20-25 games. Bumps a 32 year old Dillon out of the top four. With Perfetti on the way and the pretty deep forward group on the wings Ehlers could be a good piece to move.
Morrissey - Pionk
Hanifin - Schmidt

Why for CGY: Adds speed and skill to the top six wings, can play on the right side. Moving Vladar opens the door for Wolf to step in as a full time NHL'er next season behind Markstrom. Kylington should be able to take some of the minutes left by Hanifin.

Top 6:
Huberdeau-Lindholm-Toffoli
Mangiapane-Kadri-Ehlers

Trading a left shot top 4 isnt ideal for CGY as they have a ton of RHS but a few guys are listed as LD/RD.
If they are comfortable slotting Kylington into the top four it could look like:

Tanev-Weegar
Kylington-Anderson

Both teams looking to make a change after a disappointing season.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
WPG: Ehlers
CGY: Hanifin and Vladar

Why for WPG: Adds some legit top 2-4 D help to the jets, and a backup goalie who can play 20-25 games. Bumps a 32 year old Dillon out of the top four. With Perfetti on the way and the pretty deep forward group on the wings Ehlers could be a good piece to move.
Morrissey - Pionk
Hanifin - Schmidt

Why for CGY: Adds speed and skill to the top six wings, can play on the right side. Moving Vladar opens the door for Wolf to step in as a full time NHL'er next season behind Markstrom. Kylington should be able to take some of the minutes left by Hanifin.

Top 6:
Huberdeau-Lindholm-Toffoli
Mangiapane-Kadri-Ehlers

Trading a left shot top 4 isnt ideal for CGY as they have a ton of RHS but a few guys are listed as LD/RD.
If they are comfortable slotting Kylington into the top four it could look like:

Tanev-Weegar
Kylington-Anderson

Both teams looking to make a change after a disappointing season.
Let's see what happens at the draft first.

Reactions: viper0220

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
With new GM and coach, will Flames return a similar roster?

How entirely Flames like. What they should do is trade all the pending UFA players but at a minimum they need to trade:
1) Toffoli - he is going to regress to his normal 20 g 40 pt form but the flames will extend him for an overpay contract cause it is totally normal for a 30+ yo to repeat career years.
2) Lindholm - He has gotta go at the draft. There is no way they can risk it with him
3) Tanev - Tanev reverted back to injury plagued Tanev.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Previously this off-season I thought tear it to the ground made sense. Now I think a slight retool makes sense.

Resign Lindholm 7.5x8
Hanifin and Ras 6x8

Trade Zadorov for Late first
Trade Toffoli + Tanev for 13th overall.
Vladar for 2nd rounder.

Draft two of the forwards at 13 and 16. Etienne Morton with the Zadorov pick.

Promote Zary, Pelletier, Duher and Wolf this year. Coronato, Solovyov and Poirier the year after.
Buyout Kadri eventually.

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Coronato
Mangiapane-13-16
Zary-Dube-Pelletier
Ruzicka-Backlund-Duehr

Hanifin-Andersson
Kylington-Weegar
Solovyov-Poirier
Stetcher

Wolf

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Previously this off-season I thought tear it to the ground made sense. Now I think a slight retool makes sense.

Resign Lindholm 7.5x8
Hanifin and Ras 6x8

Trade Zadorov for Late first
Trade Toffoli + Tanev for 13th overall.

Vladar for 2nd rounder.
I don't think Lindholm will give that much of a discount and I am not sure he is willing to stay even with Sutter being fired. I still think that he should be traded at the draft. I could see a few of the lottery teams who don't land in the top 3 or 4 after Bedard is awarded who may want a vet top line center and may trade their 2023 1st for him. Would Columbus trade their 1st, a prospect, and salary assuming they drop to 4 for Lindholm and our 1st

Zadorov may get a future 1st but more realistically he is going to get a 2nd and a 3rd in a rental trade

Looking at who has the 13th right now I am not sure Toffoli and Tanev are a fit with Buffalo but maybe with Arizona for the 12th if Tanev is willing.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
The new core didn't really get a fair shake but overall they've had enough chances. Smart managers take a step back and move value deal veterans, that may not re-sign. Keeping these guys are just decisions based on sentiment and just sets us up to add to the Giordano/Brodie/Gaudreau list.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I don't think Lindholm will give that much of a discount and I am not sure he is willing to stay even with Sutter being fired. I still think that he should be traded at the draft. I could see a few of the lottery teams who don't land in the top 3 or 4 after Bedard is awarded who may want a vet top line center and may trade their 2023 1st for him. Would Columbus trade their 1st, a prospect, and salary assuming they drop to 4 for Lindholm and our 1st

Zadorov may get a future 1st but more realistically he is going to get a 2nd and a 3rd in a rental trade

Looking at who has the 13th right now I am not sure Toffoli and Tanev are a fit with Buffalo but maybe with Arizona for the 12th if Tanev is willing.
Buffalo is apparently looking for a vet RD. I think that 13 has some serious value this year so we give two assets who have no long term risk and could potentially be dealt by Buffalo at the deadline. It gives us two forwards in the draft that should be top 6 forwards.

I agree he might want more but I don't think I would pay him more than 8. He just isn't gifted enough offensively to earn that much.

I think you're underestimating Zadorov's value. He is that physical machine every coach/GM covets in the soft as butter modern NHL. I only trade him for a late first in this draft because there are really good players available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad