OT: Arizona State University - NCAA D1 Hockey

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
If they can build a competitive program, the rest will take care of itself...

ASU-girls.jpg

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
http://www.houseofsparky.com/2015/1...ver-arena-arizona-coyotes-oceanside-ice-arena

ASU Hockey: Sun Devils plan to play games at Gila River Arena next season

The home of the NCAA Division I Sun Devils might not be its current home for very long. And its newest temporary home might be an NHL arena.

ASU currently plays at Oceanside Ice Arena in Tempe, and the rink announced in early January it would house the NCAA team next season. It may do so for a few games, but coach Greg Powers said Friday the team does not consider the rink its long-term home, or even play all its games there next season.

"I want to make it abundantly clear," Powers said. "(Oceanside) is not, absolutely not, the permanent, long-term home for Sun Devil hockey.

"No one ever said we're playing all our games next season at Oceanside. We might just play some."

Powers said negotiations are ongoing for games to be played as soon as next season at Gila River Arena in Glendale, home of the NHL's Arizona Coyotes. Powers called the possibility of ASU playing rival Arizona at the Coyotes' rink "very likely."

The endgame for ASU hockey is a 4,000-6,000-seat arena in the East Valley, preferably on campus, Powers said. He said he hopes to have that done in time for ASU's third Division I season in 2017-18.

With 2015-16 games played at a combination of Oceanside and Gila River and 2017-18 ideally at the new facility, that leaves 2016-17, the first full season of NCAA scheduling. Powers said the Coyotes may continue to play host.

"I would expect most of, if not all of our games to be at a major arena," Powers said. "And that very likely could be Gila River."

The NHL rarely plays back-to-back games, meaning ASU could schedule its games for Coyotes off nights. There also exists the possibility of a double-header, with ASU playing a Saturday matinee before a Coyotes night game.

Powers offered no further update on the discussions for a new stadium in the 2017-18 season.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Good lord, an ASU/Coyotes doubleheader would be frigging AWESOME. I'd have to buy my first-ever ASU souvenir.

:handclap:

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Ahhh ****! ****, ****, ****. I gotta drive out to Glendale even more if I wanna see an ASU game? ****, I hate that place. I already drive out there too much for the Coyotes, so I don't think I'll be able to make many ASU games now.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
ASU has alumni all over the Valley. It's quite possible that attendance won't be an issue depending on what's the target number for the games.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
The endgame for ASU hockey is a 4,000-6,000-seat arena in the East Valley, preferably on campus, Powers said. He said he hopes to have that done in time for ASU's third Division I season in 2017-18.

Hockey in the east valley! Yesssss!!!

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Anyone have any idea why the plan is to play 2 seasons in the USHL before joining the Sun Devils for 2017-2018?

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
The USHL does not pay a stipend, and therefore unlike the CHL their players are NCAA eligible.

If the NCAA starts paying athletes to play, the entire dynamic for NCAA hockey could change if former CHL players were to become eligible.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
A confirmation ASU will play some games at GRA next year.

God ****ing damnit. I might not even go to a single ASU game next year now, considering I already have to drive in traffic to the badlands of Glendale like 50 times a year. ****!

zz

Nov 1, 2006
Since we're going to pick third, maybe we can get Eichel to play a season for ASU before heading to Buffalo? :sarcasm:

zz

Nov 1, 2006
Why couldn't they have just struck a deal with U.S. Airways Center? Fml.

I know right??? Makes no ****ing sense. How many students are going to make the drive all the way there? At least US Airways is walking distance from downtown campus and a short light rail ride away from Tempe.

I don't get it.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Depends on how many games we're talking about. The speculation before was that it would only be a handful of the D1 games at a big arena.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Keep in mind they're way more ASU Fans throughout the valley than Coyotes Fans. I'm sure that if college hockey becomes more and more popular overtime among ASU Fans that where they reside doesn't matter, especially since there is more than 1 ASU Campus in the valley.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
Keep in mind they're way more ASU Fans throughout the valley than Coyotes Fans. I'm sure that if college hockey becomes more and more popular overtime among ASU Fans that where they reside doesn't matter, especially since there is more than 1 ASU Campus in the valley.

That was exactly the reasoning behind creating that damn arena. And guess what? Location does matter.

It matters even more when your target market is pretty broke and rides a bike.

Oh well. I'm sure they tried working out a deal with US Airways but it must be cost-prohibitive to get an ice rink put in place once a week. I'm sure Gila River is much cheaper to rent, and probably the only viable option considering Oceanside has very little seating.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
That was exactly the reasoning behind creating that damn arena. And guess what? Location does matter.

College students know what carpools and buses are. They'll be fine.

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006

Oh well. I'm sure they tried working out a deal with US Airways but it must be cost-prohibitive to get an ice rink put in place once a week. I'm sure Gila River is much cheaper to rent, and probably the only viable option considering Oceanside has very little seating.

I have a game on Saturday at Oceanside so I haven't seen it yet, but they recently did some renovations there to seat 1500 people. Which would be a huge step above what they originally had. Someone told me that they need to at least be able to hold that to be a D1 arena.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I have a game on Saturday at Oceanside so I haven't seen it yet, but they recently did some renovations there to seat 1500 people. Which would be a huge step above what they originally had. Someone told me that they need to at least be able to hold that to be a D1 arena.

I reffed at Oceanside on Sunday. They've currently ripped out all the seating on the south side of the ice sheet and have moved the penalty benches and scorekeeper's table to the opposite side of the ice. The stands behind the end boards are still there.

I'm not sure what they have in mind for the empty space.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I'm sorry, but give a college kid a chance to drink and just hop on a train - much better than "hey - want to go out to Glendale and party at Westgate after?" - "Sure, what do you think a cab ride will cost?" - "Too much" - "Screw it, let's just go to Mill"

Terrible idea. I'm sure there were plenty of costs involved, but the stands are going to be barren compared to what it could have been if marketed right at Talking Stick. Hell, I might not even be living on the light rail in a year, but this still stinks. Going to Glendale just sucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad