OT: Arizona State University - NCAA D1 Hockey

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/arizona-state-to-launch-division-i-hockey-program-111814

TEMPE, Ariz. -- First-year Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson wants to make a statement about the direction of Sun Devil athletics. His first major move will do just that.

The university is announcing today that it will elevate its national champion club men's hockey team to NCAA Division I status over the next three seasons. Anderson will hold a press conference at 2 p.m. in the Dutson Theater at the Carson Student-Athlete Center.

The move was made possible by private donations of $32 million by a group of hockey supporters, including Don Mullett, the father of former Sun Devil hockey student-athlete Chris Mullett.

"Head coach Greg Powers has built a powerhouse ice hockey program here in Tempe, and because of his work it was probably a matter not of if, but when Sun Devil Hockey would be ready to compete at the highest level," Anderson said in a release. "I am grateful for the generosity shown by our hockey supporters to make this move possible, and I am hopeful that more members of the extended Sun Devils Athletics family will help us grow this program for the future."

Craig Morgan @cmorganfoxaz

The plan is for ASU to play a hybrid schedule in 2015 (mix of DI & ACHA competition), full D1 schedule in 2016, join a DI conference in 2017

Today is a great day for hockey in Arizona and the continuing evolution of the game.

:handclap: :yo:

Looked up all the stream options for the away games:

Date |Opponent | Stream Link | Paywall Status

Oct 9 | Alaska Anchorage | Stream | Paywall

Oct 10 | Alaska Anchorage | Stream | Paywall

Oct 15 | Qunnipiac | No Video |

Oct 16 | Connecticut | Stream | Paywall

Oct 17 | Sacred Heart | No Video |

Oct 24| Southern New Hampshire | ASU Live Stream | Free

Oct 25| Southern New Hampshire | ASU Live Stream | Free

Oct 30 | Wisconsin | BTN Stream | No paywall if BTN on your cable/Sat

Oct 31 | Wisconsin | BTN Stream | No paywall if BTN on your cable/Sat

Nov 13 & 14 | Lake Superior State | Stream | Paywall

Nov 27 & 28 | Clarkson | Stream | Looks free.

Dec 4 & 5 | University of Alberta (CIS) | ASU Live Stream | Free

Dec 11 & 12 | Rensselear Poly| Stream | Free

Dec 19 & 20 | Nebraska Omaha | No Video |

Jan 1 & 2 | St. Cloud State | Stream | Paywall

Jan 5 | Connecticut | ASU Live Stream | Free

Jan 8 | Yale | Pac-12 Network | Cable/Sat

Jan 10 | Tournament Final | ASU Live Stream | Free

Jan 15 & 16 | Bemidji State | Stream | Paywall

Jan 22 & 23 | Ohio ( ACHA ) | ASU Live Stream | Free

Jan 29 & 30 | UMass Lowell | Stream | Paywall

Jan 31 | Merrimack | Stream | Paywall

Feb 5 & 6 | Wisconsin Eau Claire| ASU Live Stream | Free

Feb 13 | Liberty (ACHA) | ASU Live Stream | Free

Feb 19 | Arizona (ACHA) | No Video |

Feb 27 & 28 | US National Team 18U | ASU Live Stream | Free

Last edited by a moderator:

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Wow, I couldn't be more excited! Between Austin Matthews being possibly the top prospect in all of hockey for the 2016 draft, and now this, hockey in the state of Arizona is starting to come a long way.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
John Buccigross ‏@Buccigross 2m2 minutes ago

Looks like Arizona St hockey will play at US Airways Arena in Downtown Phoenix

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Historically, I have loathed all things ASU except the Cronkite School and Gammage, but I shall be forced to cheer on the Sun Devils like mad once they get to D1.

Imagine ASU winning the Frozen Four... :amazed:

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Others have said that perhaps this is the kind of move that will get other Pac-12 Schools to make the jump to NCAA D1.

The UofA has no choice now but to make the jump now seeing that both programs needed each other over the years for any success of their respective ACHA program. It would be a natural rivalry of course and attendance usually reached its peak when these 2 teams play each other.

The good news is the UofA owns the hockey program now and that to me is a telling sign that they're willing to make the jump when the time is right.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
This is damn cool.

Austin Matthews drafted 1st overall by EDM, he Wheelers and goes to school, chooses ASU, plays 1 game, hat trick, then he Turrises a trade to the Coyotes then wins a Cup centering Domi and Doan.

Canada explodes.

HAHA, regardless, great news, looking forward to seeing a North Dakota or a St Cloud or a Michigan Tech roll in here.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Absolutely awesome. I remember when I was playing travel hockey everyone looked down on ASU because they had that "club" title. Everyone went out of state or played for the Jr. team here. Now ASU will be priority number one, hopefully.

If they can get a D1 program going I hope it really gets youth hockey going even more than it already is. Great news!

Phoenician

Jul 3, 2013
Phoenix
Wish they were going to play at the monster but us makes more sense as it's closer to campus. This is great news overall though!

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Wish they were going to play at the monster but us makes more sense as it's closer to campus. This is great news overall though!

If only the Yotes would move back downtown.

Coyotes are staying in Glendale and ASU will playing in downtown though ASU more than likely will end making a move somewhere in AZ in the near future than the Coyotes will by perhaps playing somewhere on the ASU campus.

Also, unlike the hockey games in Glendale, you won't be able to buy or consume booze at an NCAA sporting event.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Coyotes are staying in Glendale and ASU will playing in downtown though ASU more than likely will end making a move somewhere in AZ in the near future than the Coyotes will by perhaps playing somewhere on the ASU campus.

It'd be interesting if a rink eventually goes up near ASU campus - right in the nexus of where everyone always says that the Coyotes arena should have been built.

HeyDuk23

Dec 12, 2009
Mile High City
From my experience, the thing about alcohol is untrue. Unless it's an ASU specific policy. As a frequent attendee of DU games in Denver, they sell all sorts of alcohol at the games. (at a jacked up price of course)

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
It'd be interesting if a rink eventually goes up near ASU campus - right in the nexus of where everyone always says that the Coyotes arena should have been built.

hmmmm....Maybe someday, if they make it nice enough...:sarcasm::laugh: (picturing the Ralph sitting right next to Big Surf where Oceanside is now)

(That's it! That's where the Yotes move next - where the drive-in theater sits abandoned now... little training rink right across the street, perfect! :laugh: Salt River tribe steals thunder from Gila River tribe...)

Last edited:

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Impressed.

$32M of private donations? Wow. What kind of costs does that cover? Is it administrative? Coaches, equipment, ice time, entry fees? Does that cover say 5 years?

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
From my experience, the thing about alcohol is untrue. Unless it's an ASU specific policy. As a frequent attendee of DU games in Denver, they sell all sorts of alcohol at the games. (at a jacked up price of course)

From what I gather it could be an NCAA policy or an ASU-specific policy. I have the following excerpts that could shed some light on the policy

1) Alcohol is not for sale at ASU games at Sun Devil Stadium
2) Alcohol was for sale at Cardinals games when they played at Sun Devil Stadium
3) Alcohol is for sale at USC games at the LA Memorial Coliseum
4) My dad once told me this is because ASU's stadium is "on campus"
5) Alcohol is for sale at DU games (thanks to you for that info)

Would be interested to hear more.

Oh, and this is awesome news.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
1) Alcohol is not for sale at ASU games at Sun Devil Stadium

It's definitely not an NCAA policy. Wisconsin sells alcohol at their football games, along with many others. Wait for the renovations to be finished (they're updating all the concessions). I'm pretty sure I saw a fancy bar like the Cardinals have as part of the plans.

Impressed.

$32M of private donations? Wow. What kind of costs does that cover? Is it administrative? Coaches, equipment, ice time, entry fees? Does that cover say 5 years?

Either you missed it or the article was updated; it will fund the first ten years of the program, after which ASU will be responsible for picking up the tab.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Awesome news!

I'm from Minnesota, and a huge college hockey fan. Just coming to see what the attitude around ASU hockey is like, are they well known at all in their current state?

I saw Let's Play Hockey tweet that several other PAC 12 schools are looking at the possibility of going D1 hockey. I would be surprised if ASU would jump in without at least a pretty good feeling that other schools out there would join them.

I wonder if they'll latch on to the NCHC before a PAC 12 conference could get off the ground, makes sense being that CC/DU/UNO are the closest teams to ASU right now. I think it would be tough to stay independent for more than 2-3 years.

It'll be very interesting to see where it goes from here, I'm just thrilled that schools from around the country seem legitimately interested in college hockey :yo:

I hope the Gophers schedule a series out there in January or February some time, that'd be a sweet road trip :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad