News: Arizona not tendering Q.O to Vinnie Hinostroza. Will now become UFA

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
A decent bottom sixer. Biggest issue is he's not particularly great at any one thing and the Coyotes bottom six is already loaded with undersized guys. Plus he's getting expensive for what he brings. You could promote an AHLer at half price and get the same return.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
This is surprising. I was not heartbroken to see Vinny get dealt from the Hawks, but I liked what I saw out of him in AZ. Gives max effort, has speed and punches above his weight. Seems like a guy that adds value.

Reactions: qqaz and Luckylarry

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Funny feeling we haven't seen the last of Vinny in AZ. Like has already been said, the spectre of arbitration sucks. But I don't think anyone specifically is going to pay him above market rate anyway for what he offers. Could definitely see him re-signing here after a few days.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Same thing as it was with Dominik Simon on Pittsburgh: they don't want him getting an arbitration award more than they're comfortable with paying. It's not a QO problem, it's an arbitration problem.

issue here most likely was not QO amount, but Arbitration eligible means risk of outsized Cap Hit -

an award just under the ~$4.5M+ walk-away threshold is what teams are worried about

Arbitration Filings - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Player elected Arbitration Settlements of 1 year and greater than $4,538,958, Club can walk away from the awarded salary, making the player a UFA [CBA 12.10(a)]
Player elected Arbitration Settlements of 2 years and greater than $4,538,958, Club can walk away from the second (2nd) year of the awarded salary, making the player a UFA at the end of year 1 [CBA 12.10(b)]

Reactions: CanuckCity

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I could still see him returning to AS despite this. At least half the teams in the league would benefit from him. Extremely versatile little player with lots of hustle and a little skill.
How is he as a C?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Not ideal. But good to have around in a pinch.
Agreed. Guy can play all three forward spots. He’s kind of the ideal third liner. He’s able to move up (like you say, “in a pinch”) and fill in when injuries happen. Is he decent on the PK?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Agreed. This player should be qualified. Only reason not to would be there’s a longer termed deal in place.
I’ve been saying since before COVID and the financial fallout that Vinny is probably a candidate to get paid just a little too much. I’ve expected him to go.

Also, if you actually watch the Coyotes play hockey games, which nobody does, you’d see a few things. One is that the team is very small, very weak, and easy to push around. This was evident in the process of being absolutely destroyed in the playoffs.

This is a team with Keller, Garland, Kessel and Schmaltz already on the wings. Hinostroza is a useful little player and he’s easy to like. But his is utterly redundant on this roster. The Coyotes need size and grit in their bottom six. They need is so, so badly.

I’m sure the Coyotes tried to trade him first, and I’m sure there were no takers. I’m guessing teams around the league figure they can pay less for him as a UFA than an RFA.

Reactions: qqaz and Luckylarry

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Agreed. Guy can play all three forward spots. He’s kind of the ideal third liner. He’s able to move up (like you say, “in a pinch”) and fill in when injuries happen. Is he decent on the PK?
I wouldn’t say there’s anything “ideal” about Vinny. He works hard but he’s mostly ineffective. He’s so small and weak and doesn’t have the top end skill to make up for it. He has a little skill, though, and can occasionally flash enough to get some results. He works hard, though.

He’s a good fit for some rosters. Some teams can afford to have a player like this and can get good value out of him. If your top skill forwards aren’t small and weak, Vinny is a great depth player. I think on a team with a generally beefier roster composition, he’s a good, and unique little element. If he can be the lone water-bug.

John Chayka very stupidly attempted to make his entire roster around skills with zero regard for intangible elements. As a result, Arizona wasn’t able to get the most out of Vinny. They’re already sheltering small, weak, skill forwards

Not an ideal situation for Vinny or the club.

He’s not much of a PKer yet, but I could see him growing into that role. He seems well-suited to it.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I wouldn’t say there’s anything “ideal” about Vinny. He works hard but he’s mostly ineffective. He’s so small and weak and doesn’t have the top end skill to make up for it. He has a little skill, though, and can occasionally flash enough to get some results. He works hard, though.

He’s a good fit for some rosters. Some teams can afford to have a player like this and can get good value out of him. If your top skill forwards aren’t small and weak, Vinny is a great depth player. I think on a team with a generally beefier roster composition, he’s a good, and unique little element. If he can be the lone water-bug.

John Chayka very stupidly attempted to make his entire roster around skills with zero regard for intangible elements. As a result, Arizona wasn’t able to get the most out of Vinny. They’re already sheltering small, weak, skill forwards

Not an ideal situation for Vinny or the club.

He’s not much of a PKer yet, but I could see him growing into that role. He seems well-suited to it.
From your evaluation Vinny might be a good fit in CBJ, or on the Island.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
After reading these posts I had him severely over rated. I thought he could be a top 6 forward .
I can see a few teams doing this same thing where they go with the cheaper entry level contract guy vs risking a high arb #

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Seems like a guy that fits in Edmonton too. Management really values work ethic, regardless of how effective you are. And our bottom six is largely meat anyway, could use more skill.

Reactions: voxel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad