News: Arizona not tendering Q.O to Vinnie Hinostroza. Will now become UFA

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Could be some of these players who aren't qualified are still kept on by their clubs (as long as their pride isn't too wounded)

Not necessarily saying Hinostroza, just saying in general

I don't believe it's super common, but for example I believe a few years back Washington non-tendered Brett Connolly to protect against an arbitration award too rich for their blood, then kept him on for a 2yr, $1.5mil AAV. I'm sure there are others but I haven't finished my coffee yet

Reactions: qqaz

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Vinnie is one of those guys not good enough for top 6 role but not a fit for bottom 6

A classic meh player who occasionally flashes enough to make one intrigue but the rest of time he looks like a replacement level player

Reactions: _Del_ and RemoAZ

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You going to post that the Rangers, Oilers, Canucks and others are broke when teams let players like Virtanen, AA, Benning, Ryan Strome and many others are non tendered? A month ago it was reported that many of these RFA's were going to get cut loose and we are seeing it now.

Arizona IS broke though it wasn't THAT long ago the NHL owned.

Arizona IS broke and yas been since they got the team in 1996.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Wild that Donato got a 3rd yesterday while Vinnie doesn’t get a QO. Same amount of points last year, similar age, and Vinnie strikes me as someone who fits much better in a checking and penalty killing role

Reactions: qqaz

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Arizona IS broke though it wasn't THAT long ago the NHL owned.

Arizona IS broke and yas been since they got the team in 1996.

But it is NOT broke. they are under different ownership than when the NHL owned then back in 2009/2010. They are under their internal cap. This is more of a GM who thought the dressing room became a country club and is removing players to change the culture. Main reason he is trying so hard to move OEL.
They need cap space. Not cash space right now.

Art.Vandelay

@kash2112
Aug 2, 2005
Glendale, AZ
Feel like a good team could turn him into their Bryan Rust. Tenacity, some skill, tons of speed. Numbers aren't too bad. Fun player to watch but his size did actually seem to hinder him. He tries hard though. Maybe he just needs a big skilled center.

He absolutely has speed and solid skills. However, Rick Tocchet with his system effectively negates those attributes. Vinnie will probably flourish when put into the right roll in the right system.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Still an excellent player. Spent a lot of time doing thankless dzone starts with Richardson and Grabner this year with good results.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Hino is definitely decent depth player. One of those guys who can jump up to play 2nd line for a while if you get hit by the injury bug.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Wild that Donato got a 3rd yesterday while Vinnie doesn’t get a QO. Same amount of points last year, similar age, and Vinnie strikes me as someone who fits much better in a checking and penalty killing role
Sharks are gambling on Donato being buried in Minnesota and capable of more offensive output with the right role. Vinnie will never have top six potential. At best, he's a third line wing who is small, but decently skilled jack-of-all-trades guy. Very likeable player. I'm not convinced Donato is a top six guy whose only problem is organizational depth and the role he was asked to play, but SJ thought he was worth a roll of the dice. I don't see anything like that in Vinnie.

ellusive

Dec 21, 2009
All these rfa becoming ufa... yzerman might be able to speed up the rebuild

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Sharks are gambling on Donato being buried in Minnesota and capable of more offensive output with the right role. Vinnie will never have top six potential. At best, he's a third line wing who is small, but decently skilled jack-of-all-trades guy. Very likeable player. I'm not convinced Donato is a top six guy whose only problem is organizational depth and the role he was asked to play, but SJ thought he was worth a roll of the dice. I don't see anything like that in Vinnie.

I think that the Donato gamble was a smart one for sure. I also feel like Vinnie is closer to a 35 point bottom sixer than a 22 point bottom sixer so I’m a bit surprised Arizona couldn’t find a similar offer grabbing a mid pick. I think the big difference was Donato having a contract vs the fear of arbitration

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
A decent bottom sixer. Biggest issue is he's not particularly great at any one thing and the Coyotes bottom six is already loaded with undersized guys. Plus he's getting expensive for what he brings. You could promote an AHLer at half price and get the same return.
He is very easily be a top 6 winger IMO.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
You going to post that the Rangers, Oilers, Canucks and others are broke when teams let players like Virtanen, AA, Benning, Ryan Strome and many others are non tendered? A month ago it was reported that many of these RFA's were going to get cut loose and we are seeing it now.

Why are you confusing 'broke' with 'against the CAP'. Talk about missing the point.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Not missing it at all. Arizona is not Broke. They do have an internal cap like many teams do this year but they are not broke.

You made a list of players that weren't signed as an example of broke, except they were examples of teams that have spent too much money and are against the CAP.

Literally the exact opposite of Zona who will play with less money in an internal CAP and will be one of the lowest spending teams in the league.

Funny you haven't noted the difference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->