Seravalli: Arizona looking to improve their roster, will not be taking cap dumps or trading Keller/Schmaltz/Crouse

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
all they have said is they are no longer in the taking of bad contract business. They have enough picks now and they may look to use a few of those to acquire some assets that can actually contribute. Teams that make contract mistakes will either have to buy them out or pay someone else to get out from underneath it. AZ doesn't need to apologize for leveraging cap space for assets during a period where they were operating on a shoestring budget.

JJ Moser is pretty good. Valimaki played well. D is a weakness though but it doesn't sound they are going to reach this year on a D in the 1st. We will see if it's gamesmanship or not.
Agree that both are serviceable. Mateychuk last year may have been the move in lieu of Geekie but likely not helping this year anyway. I don't know how they cobble a D together without UFAs or moving picks or one of the aforementioned players ( Keller/Schmaltz/Crouse) in the article.

bwhsocal

May 4, 2023
No hate or disrespect towards AZ fans but is this the same f***ing team that just traded chychryn 3 months ago for a near pittance? Is Stan Bowman running counsel here?
12OA in this draft isnt pittance, I loved Chyrh but he is so injury prone (what 15 games in w OTT hurt), his health is why they couldnt get more.

Reactions: Nowotny

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Agree that both are serviceable. Mateychuk last year may have been the move in lieu of Geekie but likely not helping this year anyway. I don't know how they cobble a D together without UFAs or moving picks or one of the aforementioned players ( Keller/Schmaltz/Crouse) in the article.
Kesselring will likely play in the NHL next year. Same with Soderstrom and potentially Konyachonok. They also signed a player Koch who is 26 so I think he could be in the pros sooner rather than later.

Craig Button was also recently on PHNX and had high words of praise for their prospect Szuber. He may see some games this year. It's June 21st though. Free agency is in 10 days.

AZ wouldn't have bought out Nemeth if they didn't have a plan. It's very likely the total cost of our NHL defense will be less than $8-9M this year. This is why they picked up so much IR salary since they are running with so many entry level deals.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I don't know how many times you need to be told you're wrong by people who are actually living in this situation before you say, "hmm, maybe I'm the one that needs to do a bit more research on this instead of having 100% of my opinion being formed based on headlines from sensationalist news sources or posts on an internet discussion board". It's getting weird.

Like the post you said this to, along with everybody else, has already said "they were going to stay in Glendale until a new arena was built", but you're still full steam ahead with the idea that they wanted to leave Glendale ASAP to play at Mullett, for no other reason than being too stubborn (or worse) to realize you're just wrong. And that's just one example.
Lmaooo. The bolded is what people are telling me! That Mullet was always on their radar. That Mullet was "the plan".

I'm saying they wanted to stay in Glendale, but they weren't allowed to. Learn to read man. Here's what I said:
Their first choice was to stay at Gila River Arena until their new arena was built. Gila River refused to start a new lease with the Coyotes because of their missed rent payment issues.

Going to Mullet was not the plan.

bwhsocal

May 4, 2023
Buddy, they got evicted from Glendale because he wouldn’t pay the rent.

Lmao moving to Mullet wasn’t by choice.

There ain’t no new arena. No shovels in the ground.
good gawd the canadian hockey 'writers' spew such crap. glendale (owns the arena) gave ultimatum 20 year lease (no more 1 year leases) or nothing and yotes said no.

bwhsocal

May 4, 2023
They will end up trading their best guys for old injured guys and picks soon

It's the same thing every year.

The "rebuild" will continue on
name one trade of a good player for old guy and picks. one. Chyhrun wanted out and was for picks no old guys, Garland was part of OEL (best trade)

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Lmaooo. The bolded is what people are telling me! That Mullet was always on their radar. That Mullet was "the plan".

I'm saying they wanted to stay in Glendale, but they weren't allowed to. Learn to read man. Here's what I said:
Mullet wasn't the preferred plan. That's clear. That being said according to Craig Morgan of PHNX they actually made more money in the Mullet than they did in Glendale.

The Coyotes were always pursuing a long-term plan outside of Glendale. What they didn't want to happen was for Glendale to actively try to sabotage those efforts in an attempt to force them to relocate. The Mullet is a necessary evil unfortunately until they build a new arena. By the sounds of it they are negotiating exclusively on one site but there are a few options that are available.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Kesselring will likely play in the NHL next year. Same with Soderstrom and potentially Konyachonok. They also signed a player Koch who is 26 so I think he could be in the pros sooner rather than later.

Craig Button was also recently on PHNX and had high words of praise for their prospect Szuber. He may see some games this year. It's June 21st though. Free agency is in 10 days.

AZ wouldn't have bought out Nemeth if they didn't have a plan. It's very likely the total cost of our NHL defense will be less than $8-9M this year. This is why they picked up so much IR salary since they are running with so many entry level deals.
Maybe two vets to provide some mentoring?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Yea good luck getting good players to voluntarily sign there.

Players want nothing more than to play infant of 5,000 people, or to buy a house in a. city your team may not even be playing in the year after.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Kind of about time they stop trading their future away, but I have to say, I've always hoped there was a path to Winnipeg for Crouse.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Here is the catch. I know the owner has money. Problem is that the team is not pulling in that much money via the gate and they are not getting too much revenue from food and drink sales. They are years away from getting a new arena and a solid money flow.

Reactions: biturbo19

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
in all seriousness, I wonder if this has to do with making Arizona attractive to Logan Cooley?

Yeah. I do kind of wonder about this. Cooley has the potential to flex himself out and walk as a UFA if he really doesn't like where the Yotes organization is headed at that point. I can see what they've done recently as bad enough that it might genuinely inspire a top prospect to burn a little bit of their pro career just to avoid walking into that deeply unserious, uncompetitive environment, playing in a tiny college rink smaller than what he's even used to as an actual NCAA player.

I think there could even be a Michkov element to this. As it stands right now, i wouldn't have a lot of confidence in the Coyotes ability to get him to come over, even after that KHL contract commitment runs out. If they're serious about taking him in the draft, that gives them a few years to start turning things around and somehow make themselves an appealing destination for a guy who is already sort of shrouded in mystery about his level of desire to come over to North America. That isn't a switch you can just flip one day. At some point, you have to start with a concerted effort to improve the team and get better incrementally, or at least start to show some potential to be a good young team a few years from now when he'll be sizing up his NHL opportunities.

But i do still feel like this is more of a shift from, "dumping ground for imaginary contracts" toward "trying to acquire some decent budget conscious players". Not some signal that they're going to go on a Free Agent bender or anything.

I do also think that seeing what Seattle has done, has to spur them on a bit. Where maybe they can pick up a few middling UFAs this year, a few next year, time it up with their various top prospects starting to arrive and hit their stride...and maybe you can replicate what they've done to start turning things around pretty quickly. They certainly have the cap space to do something like that...if the financials behind the scenes can support that at some point.

But i also can't help but wonder if that doesn't make a guy like Tyler Myers more attractive to them. He'd be an upgrade on their defence and once that bonus is paid out, he's not really a "bad contract". He's just a very budget friendly $1M #4/5RHD. And no matter what Arizona do here, they're not likely to have any real concerns about hitting the salary cap limit so that still shouldn't be a barrier for them.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Girard I think would make sense for both sides. I know one Az fan offered two seconds from the Chychrun trade. Personally I’d want the Avs to go after Hayton and see where talks go there. If it does have to be picks straight across, I’m not gonna say Girard should get a Chychrun return, but perhaps a bit more than 2 seconds…?

rmthomson21

Sep 22, 2015
DMV
Dude this messages boards Ideal path to success is too draft Top 5 until you then immediately jump to contender status. There is no gentle slope here
I mean, if you're trying to maximize your chance to win the most cups, this is the ideal way to do it

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Arizona doesn't want to take on Josh Bailey yet they sign Michael Carcone for that contract? I don't get it. This is some real chess going on by the Coyotes

Prestigeworldwide

Apr 21, 2017
Arizona doesn't want to take on Josh Bailey yet they sign Michael Carcone for that contract? I don't get it. This is some real chess going on by the Coyotes
They resign the AHL top scorer to play in the AHL to a 775K contract and you think they are playing chess...:snide:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Girard I think would make sense for both sides. I know one Az fan offered two seconds from the Chychrun trade. Personally I’d want the Avs to go after Hayton and see where talks go there. If it does have to be picks straight across, I’m not gonna say Girard should get a Chychrun return, but perhaps a bit more than 2 seconds…?
We need Hayton more than Girard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad