Confirmed with Link: Arizona Coyotes to remain Glendale through 2018-2019

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
My only concern from that article is we're apparently selling other teams' merchandise. This is the Coyotes arena, no? Try buying a Leafs jersey at the Bell Centre...

What sort of money would we get off that sale, anyway? If we sell a jersey with a Blackhawks logo on it, don't they get most of the money?

I was just in the team store. The most i think they had were like team pucks, maybe shirts too but in a small section. I assume we make most of the profit, and naturally, a percentage goes to them. I mean shit, all (then 30) teams paid a portion of our bills when the NHL owned us. It's the least we can do.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Sell whatever pays the bills.

I've always wondered how many of those road team fans live in the valley full time.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
My only concern from that article is we're apparently selling other teams' merchandise. This is the Coyotes arena, no? Try buying a Leafs jersey at the Bell Centre...

What sort of money would we get off that sale, anyway? If we sell a jersey with a Blackhawks logo on it, don't they get most of the money?

Stores all over town sell merch from teams outside of Arizona. Walk up to Just Sports in Westgate and you'll find other hockey gear on display besides the Coyotes. The issue is making money and in a city full of transplants you sell what people want.

Obviously the Hawks would get a share of the sale but I doubt it's that much.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Sell whatever pays the bills.

I've always wondered how many of those road team fans live in the valley full time.

Don't get me started. With the exception of the three western Canada teams, my guess is that it's more than 3 out of 4, and most have lived here for well over a decade.. Those same people typically don't see the irony when they say, "you guys don't support your home team."

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ

That seems like a good Business of Hockey question. How much in general do team stores keep, and how is the money from, say, a jersey sale distributed?

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Don't get me started. With the exception of the three western Canada teams, my guess is that it's more than 3 out of 4, and most have lived here for well over a decade.. Those same people typically don't see the irony when they say, "you guys don't support your home team."

While sad, it also provides optimism that those bandwagon fans will one day jump on the Coyote train if...IF...the franchise can put together a few winning seasons.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
That seems like a good Business of Hockey question. How much in general do team stores keep, and how is the money from, say, a jersey sale distributed?

The team store keeps the markup on whatever NHL sets as the base wholesale price on products. Baked into the wholesale price is the licensing revenue to the league and to whichever team and/or player is featured on the product. So the team store buys a case of, say, Max Domi sweaters. The league, Max, the Coyotes, and Adidas all get paid out of that inventory purchase, then the team sets a markup price on the resale that represents their profit margin. They will sometimes undercut that profit margin in certain circumstances (i.e., the ongoing season ticket holder discount, clearance sales, etc.).

As for selling other teams' merch in the Team Store, that's been going on as long as I've been a fan of the franchise. I don't know why it's something to get upset about. If the Team Store doesn't do it, there's a Just Sports in Westgate who will, so it then becomes a question of who gets the dough. Personally, I'd rather it go to the Coyotes. Plus, they could always mark up the opposing teams' merch more than the home team's... :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
While sad, it also provides optimism that those bandwagon fans will one day jump on the Coyote train if...IF...the franchise can put together a few winning seasons.

Agreed. I went to that incredible D-Backs wild card game against the Rockies last October, and couldn't help but be encouraged by Phoenix fans. To a lesser extent, same with the 2012 Predators series.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
While this may look ok on the outside, I have suspicions this team is marked for relocation. Now, I understand relocation isn’t an option according to Gary, but what the hell is the guy supposed to say?

This team is, by a wide margin has been and will continue to be an awful product of the NHL. I’m not an advocate of them leaving by any means, however I believe the end is near. Moral has likely never been so low and the we are likely the closest we’ve ever been on the way of a move, that includes the bankruptcy days.

Players want to leave, they don’t want to play here. Coaching has been the worsr it’s ever been, including the Gretzky era.

There is no news of any sort of arena rumblings and the last I heard personally about someone coming in was months ago. Barroway is a creep and most certainly over his head with the countless amounts of money he’s losing.

I have come to grips that if the team leaves, I’m good with it. I don’t frequent the games anymore at the river so I’ve primarily watched on tv the past two years. I’d be fine to continue that, but this team needs new life and I just don’t see it here, anymore. I believe we have won a whopping 4 games in regulation this year and we’re already half way through the season, that is just simply not acceptable in professional sports. We’re too poor to make a coaching change that should have been don’t at the 25 game mark.

Aside from how shitty we are I have always found solitude during days I know their playing. I can get that when they move, too.

I just don’t see things panning out anymore, fellas and I’m ok with that.

Reactions: 0point1

RABBIT

i still have a glimmer of hope. My guy has stood tough on his assertion that Patterson and staff are in significant talks in regards to the arena. I asked him again after the lease signing, said they are happy because it brought them more time to get what they really wanted.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
i still have a glimmer of hope. My guy has stood tough on his assertion that Patterson and staff are in significant talks in regards to the arena. I asked him again after the lease signing, said they are happy because it brought them more time to get what they really wanted.

Sounds like you were fed some BS because the extension is standard procedure for the league.

Patterson is infamously the guy that put in zero work for ASU when it came time to gather support and finances for renovating SDS and the like.

Barroway is leveraged to the gills, so he can't remain owner and possibly push through an arena.

I bet the team is off to Houston and they have a handshake agreement, just like Winnipeg. They'll 'try' for a new arena but the math hasn't changed. If anything, it has gotten worse. Houston is at worst a sidegrade for the league, and possibly a big upgrade. Barroway will get covered in the sale.

The emergence of a market that's an easy move for the league has sunk the Coyotes IMO. It's clear QC is the new Winnipeg and won't get a team unless they get a panic relocation.

RABBIT

I paraphrase. I asked him if the Glendale extension is a good sign and he responded with "buys more time to get what's wanted"

Maybe not a deep answer, but doubt it's BS. The info I've gotten from him over the years has hardly been bullshit, but I mean take it how you want to I guess. No point in trying to change anyone's mind around here. :laugh:

Either way, if they move, i think i'll find relief in not having to argue about this shit anymore washing my hands of this site. Probably pick up something more productive and maybe catch a few games wherever they go to, but I'll never be a die-hard fan again. Shit's too stressful

Reactions: doaner

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
I'd jump on that Seattle bandwagon if the Yotes are gone. Especially if they go with "Seattle Kraken" :laugh:

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Houston or Seattle would be ok. Stay in the time zone and probably not get dumped on by the new media. Quebec could be tough if (when) they start bagging on us, and may be harder to follow since I don't speak French, and I imagine quite a bit of the coverage would be in French.

Another possibility is jumping over to the knights. I've been watching them play quite a bit lately, more than the yotes. They're incredibly fun to watch, and it could be cool to follow a team from their inception.

If asu ever builds a damn arena I could just switch to college hockey too.

Reactions: RABBIT

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Houston or Seattle would be ok. Stay in the time zone and probably not get dumped on by the new media. Quebec could be tough if (when) they start bagging on us, and may be harder to follow since I don't speak French, and I imagine quite a bit of the coverage would be in French.

Another possibility is jumping over to the knights. I've been watching them play quite a bit lately, more than the yotes. They're incredibly fun to watch, and it could be cool to follow a team from their inception.

If asu ever builds a damn arena I could just switch to college hockey too.

Texas is in the Central time zone. :P

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
With Doan gone, I could go either way. No way I’d support a Seattle team. I can’t stand Pete carrol and the sea chickens. I’d jump on the Vegas train. I still have hope they stay.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
You think Winnipeg has a problem with player recruitment, wait til youre in a city that's nearly as cold and is entirely French speaking.

Reactions: Jakey53

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I'd either go all-in on the Golden Knights or I'd just stop watching the NHL and look for local youth/college programs to patronize.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Boys, coyotes aren't leaving the valley period. The NHL isn't leaving a top 5, and growing quickly, US market.

Reactions: MIG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad