Confirmed with Link: Arizona Coyotes to remain Glendale through 2018-2019

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Boys, coyotes aren't leaving the valley period. The NHL isn't leaving a top 5, and growing quickly, US market.

You, I and a couple of others have said the same thing for YEARS. With the economy better, team values skyrocketing, they will find a new owner.

Reactions: Fyreman

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I wouldn't mind Quebec at all. I speak French and could become a Nordiques fan out of spite for what the Habs did to PK Subban.
The Habs did Subban quite a favor. He left the Montreal meat grinder and went from a lousy team to a contender.

RABBIT

My Yearly Sponsorship has relocated to Houston
Oct 21, 2008
“Ted’s dead baby. TEDs Dead”
IF it happened I would actually probably seriously consider Vegas. Not Quebec. Not Houston. Depending on how many players from the current team would stay, I'd consider Seattle.

You have to pay $50 a month for NHL center ice though, f***KKKK that.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I would root for Vegas. I already have their jersey. It's a franchise the gets it. Coyotes management talks a good game but put together a cheapskate roster. (unintended pun). (but funny nonetheless).

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
IF it happened I would actually probably seriously consider Vegas. Not Quebec. Not Houston. Depending on how many players from the current team would stay, I'd consider Seattle.

You have to pay $50 a month for NHL center ice though, ****KKKK that.

NHL TV is $140 per season. Center Ice is better quality however when viewed on HDTV, but NHL.TV allows me to watch on my laptop or mobile while traveling.

Reactions: Lilhoody

BOGO

Oct 20, 2017
I share a lot of the recent sentiments. I had higher hopes coming into this season than any season since the WCF run. In true balance now my enthusiasm has swung the other way.

I almost want them gone to put me out of my misery, because it hurts being a Day One Coyotes Fan at this point. I would follow the team no matter where they went, I was actually a fan of the Winnipeg Jets when they moved here, so they are just a franchise I have followed for 20+ years.

I really do not have a preference for relocation. I have been to Seattle a couple of times over the past couple of years and actually would love to move to one of their suburbs. I have never been to Houston, but I would go to check out some of their games there. Quebec would be the hardest team to follow as I doubt we would have as much exposure to the team there as the other two options.

The team died when Doan played his last game.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

You have to pay $50 a month for NHL center ice though, ****KKKK that.

Curious, why Seattle but not Houston?

Personally, I think if a move happens it's Houston. The owner is there, the arena is there, and the market is actually bigger than Phoenix. Easy slide into the Central Division too.

RABBIT

My Yearly Sponsorship has relocated to Houston
Oct 21, 2008
“Ted’s dead baby. TEDs Dead”
Curious, why Seattle but not Houston?

Personally, I think if a move happens it's Houston. The owner is there, the arena is there, and the market is actually bigger than Phoenix. Easy slide into the Central Division too.

I'd rather visit Seattle over Houston. Stupid reason but that's my reasoning. I spent enough time in Texas with the Military, nice place and all, I would just rather see a state without a team get one, and I think people would be drawn to that market. It's beautiful there.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Fair enough. I think Seattle goes the way of expansion. They're the only market willing to put up $650M for a team. Houston isn't and Quebec doesn't have the cash. That will bring the NHL to 32 teams.

I think we're either going to the Central Division as Arizona or we're going as Houston.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Fair enough. I think Seattle goes the way of expansion. They're the only market willing to put up $650M for a team. Houston isn't and Quebec doesn't have the cash. That will bring the NHL to 32 teams.

I think we're either going to the Central Division as Arizona or we're going as Houston.
I'm sure this is correct.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Entirely French speaking?

Wayyyy more than Montreal.

I just checked Wikipedia. 95% of QC is French. Only 1.5% is English. About 1/3 bilingual.

A QC team would probably get warped into hiring French staff as well, like the Canadiens. There are only so many NHL coaches who speak French... You never get the best candidates by limiting the pool this way, so it only hurts the franchise.

Je m'appelle Rick Tôcchét. J'aime les joueurs de hockey collants.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
You, I and a couple of others have said the same thing for YEARS. With the economy better, team values skyrocketing, they will find a new owner.
Agreed. if the team was going to move, it would have happened already. The underlying core economics of the Phoenix market aligh with the long term vision of the NHL. This decision isn't up to Barroway, the new owner, some other market being available, all of that doesn't matter. What the NHL thinks is all that matters for franchise location. They won't be leaving the valley, but hey speculate away everyone....

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Does anyone here believe an effort to get Sarver to sell the Suns is part of the plan to keeping the Coyotes here in Arizona?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'd rather visit Seattle over Houston. Stupid reason but that's my reasoning. I spent enough time in Texas with the Military, nice place and all, I would just rather see a state without a team get one, and I think people would be drawn to that market. It's beautiful there.

Seattle is getting an expansion team. They're going to cough up the $$$. Rare chance for the league to pocket money out of thin air. Houston will never pay that price, so they're a useful side exit for the Coyotes. Bettman will be sitting pretty, with practically every troubled franchise taken care of in some way.

Dirty Old Man

Anti-chatter Engine
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
And Captain Wet Blanket strikes again.

(I just got done suggesting in the B0H that there should be something like a Godwin's Law of Hockey - that any discussion of relocation will eventually devolve into some form of "well, because Atlanta")

Reactions: Mosby and Jakey53

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Note really "news", but Uncle Gary says Barroway still working stadium deal. Of course this is what he'll continue to say until something definitive happens one way or the other.

NHL's Gary Bettman: Coyotes not leaving Arizona 'anytime soon'

Eh after reading both articles I don't think he's saying the same things. In the Atlanta article it's known that the team is in the process of being sold and he's refuting a report that a deal to relocate the team is already done. He uses lawyer speak always but technically he was probably right, the deal was not done. In the Coyotes article there is no acknowledgement of the team being in the process of being sold much less a report that a deal to relocate is already done. Both articles are both full of lawyer speak of course but that's how Gary talks about everything. He's always very conscientious of his wording.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->