Confirmed with Link: Arizona Coyotes to remain Glendale through 2018-2019

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Eh after reading both articles I don't think he's saying the same things. In the Atlanta article it's known that the team is in the process of being sold and he's refuting a report that a deal to relocate the team is already done. He uses lawyer speak always but technically he was probably right, the deal was not done. In the Coyotes article there is no acknowledgement of the team being in the process of being sold much less a report that a deal to relocate is already done. Both articles are both full of lawyer speak of course but that's how Gary talks about everything. He's always very conscientious of his wording.

Well, Gary has said two things in the past three or four months - one, that the Coyotes will not be able to avoid moving if they don't get an East Valley arena, and now that he doesn't foresee the team moving anytime soon. Like you said, he's a lawyer, and both of these statements are technically correct depending on how you approach his comments.

The long and short of it is that we can't know what's going to happen based on what Bettman says.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Eh after reading both articles I don't think he's saying the same things. In the Atlanta article it's known that the team is in the process of being sold and he's refuting a report that a deal to relocate the team is already done. He uses lawyer speak always but technically he was probably right, the deal was not done. In the Coyotes article there is no acknowledgement of the team being in the process of being sold much less a report that a deal to relocate is already done. Both articles are both full of lawyer speak of course but that's how Gary talks about everything. He's always very conscientious of his wording.

Oh yea he is haha. Even when he's conscientious of his wording, his statements get dissected and picked apart to build the case of moving or not moving. Just depends on who's writing the article and what narrative they wanna push this time, it seems to me lol.

To me, he says the same thing either way and it makes no difference. I'll believe relocation rumors when there is actually something happening and I'll believe a new local arena when I see actual evidence too. Otherwise, just some speculation to spend some time while we wait!

Reactions: AZviaNJ

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Until the shovels hit the dirt or until the moving trucks are loaded, there's nothing you can believe.

My thoughts exactly. Hopefully locals will know slightly ahead of time, but until something official comes out, I wouldn't even pay attention to the rumors/speculation. I can't imagine the team being re-located until a season or so after they add team 32 to avoid any pis5ed off investors.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I would love to see Glendale offer Gila River Arena to the Coyotes for free as then the NHL will be in a position to where relocation isn't an option. I doubt such a move will happen though.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I would love to see Glendale offer Gila River Arena to the Coyotes for free as then the NHL will be in a position to where relocation isn't an option. I doubt such a move will happen though.

Glendale is about to sell off the property it bought for Camelback Ranch to the Dodgers and White Sox at a loss since they can’t develop it and because of clauses in the deals with both teams.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/new...dgers-camelback-ranch-development/1059291001/

Reactions: Yandover

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
It’s always a possibility. But I doubt it.

Even when Greg Jamison was trying to purchase the franchise he was already scouting the east valley for sites. He did include a option in the proposal to purchase GRA in the last five years but that really doesn’t mean much other than it being a selling point.

People forget that Ellman was using the Coyotes as a hook to a much bigger project. They were a means to an end and not a priority to either he, or Moyes later on. They were going to rely upon Westgate to prop up the franchise.

Reactions: Yandover

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Already re-upped my season tix for the next two seasons, despite the mess that is the Coyotes.
Hope I win the trip on the team plane!
I’m not re-upping at this time. I don’t look forward to going to the games anymore. I see the drive to Glendale as more of a deterrent than years past.

Reactions: pfp

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
With that kind of expansion fee and Phoenix being a top 5 population market and growing, the NHL isn't moving this team. They'll continue to cut and paste until it all works out. Expansion fees and metro market size dictate this outcome. Nothing to worry about and if they were going to move it would have happened 10 years ago.

I agree. With the economy better, the league will find another buyer for the team before relocation is even talked about.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I’m not re-upping at this time. I don’t look forward to going to the games anymore. I see the drive to Glendale as more of a deterrent than years past.
I can understand that. With the absurd amount of losses, the long drive must become at least nearly unbearable, but I think you'd regret it come next year.

Reactions: Jakey53

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I can understand that. With the absurd amount of losses, the long drive must become at least nearly unbearable, but I think you'd regret it come next year.

I didn't reup this year after 12 straight years. I felt real agony for about two or three weeks (I mean, you do something for over a decade and when you just stop cold turkey it's not easy), but by the end of the season-opening slump I was exceptionally grateful I wasn't spending money to watch this trainwreck. I can't imagine someone who has to make The Long Drive wanting to pony up a cent for this clown car circus until there is some real improvement - both on the ice and off of it.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I didn't reup this year after 12 straight years. I felt real agony for about two or three weeks (I mean, you do something for over a decade and when you just stop cold turkey it's not easy), but by the end of the season-opening slump I was exceptionally grateful I wasn't spending money to watch this trainwreck. I can't imagine someone who has to make The Long Drive wanting to pony up a cent for this clown car circus until there is some real improvement - both on the ice and off of it.

And if you do decide to see a game you know you'll save money on the secondary market.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
That's sort of good news. On the otherhand, if you hate Quebec, ...

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Haven’t read up a whole lot lately, but does Tempe still have federal funding for the street car project? Saw they were doing some preliminary prep work on downtown Mill about 6 months ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad