Arizona Coyotes Lounge XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Now to change the subject (hopefully), I was laying in my bed last night wondering why we have seasons? I would think the rotation of the Earth would be perpendicular to the Sun's gravitational pull and not at an angle. After all these years it would be forced to? I recently read a while back that the Earth's poles shifted about the time a major asteroid hit and caused an ice age about 20 millenniums ago...

My rudimentary understanding of physics says that the Sun's gravity has the same effect on Earth's orbit whether Earth is tilted or not.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
My rudimentary understanding of physics says that the Sun's gravity has the same effect on Earth's orbit whether Earth is tilted or not.
I'm asking about the physical laws of spinning motion, where the spin will gradually "straighten out" and if the moon counters that effect? Case in point, if you ride a bike, it's harder to pivot the handlebars while in motion vs at rest, because of the centrifugal force exerted on the wheels. The centrifugal force will straighten out if a wobble occurs. The planets equator is not perpendicular to the sun, which creates the different seasons in the northern and southern hemisphere. And if the sun's gravitational pull is negligible, then why are we in orbit? OH GEEZ, I'm sounding like a flat earther! Sorry...

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I'm asking about the physical laws of spinning motion, where the spin will gradually "straighten out" and if the moon counters that effect? Case in point, if you ride a bike, it's harder to pivot the handlebars while in motion vs at rest, because of the centrifugal force exerted on the wheels. The centrifugal force will straighten out if a wobble occurs. The planets equator is not perpendicular to the sun, which creates the different seasons in the northern and southern hemisphere. And if the sun's gravitational pull is negligible, then why are we in orbit? OH GEEZ, I'm sounding like a flat earther! Sorry...

Moon driven tidal forces are slowing down the Earth's rotation, making each day 2.3 milliseconds longer every century. Yes, I looked it up. ;)

Eventually, the earth will stop spinning. Do you want your house on the dark or bright side of Earth?

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
the shitty people I'm talking about are often within the law
Maybe MLK is right.

1672139255827.png

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I couldn't disagree more.

Maybe there was a time long ago where that was true, but the shit has spread too far and deep.
You think shitty people are not the main problem, you think it's the system in place? I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say here.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You think shitty people are not the main problem, you think it's the system in place? I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say here.
It's called a swamp for a reason. It's just a hell of a lot deeper than we think. People are generally good, through out the world, it's the Governments that are the problem.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
It's called a swamp for a reason. It's just a hell of a lot deeper than we think. People are generally good, through out the world, it's the Governments that are the problem.
I know people are generally good, in fact I would say the vast majority of people are good. What I'm saying is that no matter what system you put in place (E.g. communism, capitalism, etc.), there are shitty people who will game the system and undermine it. They're the cheaters, the grifters, the liars, those without a shred of honor. They're the people who abuse the welfare system, the people who abuse the Covid relief funds, the people who abuse tax loopholes, anyone at Ticketmaster, etc.

Baby Doaner

Mar 14, 2021
Southwest is the most worthless airline ever. My kid was to fly home to Kansas City yesterday, but like the rest of the traveling community, we were cancelled and now I’m driving him to Springfield instead and then the next morning driving straight back home. What a crazy ordeal!

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Southwest is the most worthless airline ever. My kid was to fly home to Kansas City yesterday, but like the rest of the traveling community, we were cancelled and now I’m driving him to Springfield instead and then the next morning driving straight back home. What a crazy ordeal!
I work in funeral service and had a flight scheduled to send a decedent to Philly tomorrow morning. I received an email from SWA yesterday afternoon stating this- "we have made the difficult decision to temporarily suspend our cargo service until further notice. During this time, no new cargo shipments will be accepted, including those that have been booked in advance." I feel for the families that have to now plan a new funeral because their loved one won't make it in time.

• Wow
Reactions: Sinurgy

Baby Doaner

Mar 14, 2021
I work in funeral service and had a flight scheduled to send a decedent to Philly tomorrow morning. I received an email from SWA yesterday afternoon stating this- "we have made the difficult decision to temporarily suspend our cargo service until further notice. During this time, no new cargo shipments will be accepted, including those that have been booked in advance." I feel for the families that have to now plan a new funeral because their loved one won't make it in time.
It’s terrible mismanagement, but we shouldn’t expect anything more from the airline industry.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
It’s terrible mismanagement, but we shouldn’t expect anything more from the airline industry.

Except it appears Southwest is the only one still FUBAR. Today they cancelled 63% of scheduled flights.

Monday (26 Dec) cancellations
Southwest 70%
Delta 9%
United 5%
American less 1%

cobra427

May 6, 2012
The airline business is a very complicated model, everything has to go right and planes need to be full for it to work well. Plane flights are so cheap now, everyone can fly, unlike the way it was 30+ years ago. The problem when you have weather or other problems is a massive ripple effect. I was involved with the formation/funding of Reno Air (purchased by American, ValueJet (crashed) and Debonaire(BK). It is a complicated model for it to work, can't stand the model....

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Right, but it will be interesting to find out why SW dropped more balls than the other airlines. Someone should be fired.

They attempt to get higher aircraft utilization by using much tighter turnarounds, leading to a bigger cascading failure when things go wrong. The weather also hit SWA hubs particularly hard. There's nothing really to investigate here unless you want more regulation ;)

Reactions: Jakey53

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
They attempt to get higher aircraft utilization by using much tighter turnarounds, leading to a bigger cascading failure when things go wrong. The weather also hit SWA hubs particularly hard. There's nothing really to investigate here unless you want more regulation ;)

I meant their internal investigation. Think they'll send me the results? 🤔

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Right, but it will be interesting to find out why SW dropped more balls than the other airlines. Someone should be fired.
Software needs to be upgraded, SW has a more legacy system. Keep in mind all other majors have gone through BK and have more upgraded software because of it. They have to ditch the old system and use newer technology for it to work properly, it's a big change that will take time and cause more disruptions along the way. They will have to do it sooner or later.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I have a friend in Canada that missed a Delta flight because of weather, was scheduled to fly out two days later, but that flight was cancelled because Delta didn't have staff for the flight. Staffing has been a major problem for the airline industry among others. It's not mismanagement. People don't want to work.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The airline business is a very complicated model, everything has to go right and planes need to be full for it to work well. Plane flights are so cheap now, everyone can fly, unlike the way it was 30+ years ago. The problem when you have weather or other problems is a massive ripple effect. I was involved with the formation/funding of Reno Air (purchased by American, ValueJet (crashed) and Debonaire(BK). It is a complicated model for it to work, can't stand the model....
Logistics in general is complicated, not just the airlines.

Bingo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad