Arizona Coyotes Lounge XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Watching the Sabres and Wild. Olofsson scores in OT and the goal song is...Abba? (Gimme Gimme Gimme)...indeed it is. But apparently in Buffalo, every player picks his own goal song... and if our old friend Ilya Lyubushkin ever scores at home, they'll play something called "I Am A Gummybear". Google it, it's hilarious.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Watching the Sabres and Wild. Olofsson scores in OT and the goal song is...Abba? (Gimme Gimme Gimme)...indeed it is. But apparently in Buffalo, every player picks his own goal song... and if our old friend Ilya Lyubushkin ever scores at home, they'll play something called "I Am A Gummybear". Google it, it's hilarious.

I wish we had Lyubushkin and Bryzgalov on the same team. They are kindred spirits.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

Can't believe no one went with Big Balls by AC/DC.

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018

My song after scoring a goal would be:

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Even if you are a Georgia fan, did you enjoy last night? Worst defeat in bowl history comes in the championship game. Not a good look for college football.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Didn't watch it, but saw the score later, stopped watching years ago when it seems that there are about 2 to 3 programs who are the only ones that can win.

Dirty Old Man

Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Even if you are a Georgia fan, did you enjoy last night? Worst defeat in bowl history comes in the championship game. Not a good look for college football.
Georgia's one of my alma mater's big rivals, but we have this weird SEC conference-kinship thing where it's fine they're so successful (complaints about the SEC are music to our ears, trust me)...so last night was completely predictable, went exactly as I thought it would, and I stopped watching late in the 2nd quarter. UGa had a couple of "brain fart" games (Missouri, Ohio St), everyone does, but that game last night was never gonna be competitive, and it wasn't.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Georgia's one of my alma mater's big rivals, but we have this weird SEC conference-kinship thing where it's fine they're so successful (complaints about the SEC are music to our ears, trust me)...so last night was completely predictable, went exactly as I thought it would, and I stopped watching late in the 2nd quarter. UGa had a couple of "brain fart" games (Missouri, Ohio St), everyone does, but that game last night was never gonna be competitive, and it wasn't.
Time to get used to more of this stuff as the playoffs expand and there are more cinderella teams who will win a few games they shouldn't then get absolutely destroyed in the finals. Not looking forward to it at all and generally speaking I hate what's been done to college football the past couple of years. It's like they're actively trying to destroy it.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I like the playoff system. The NIL + superconference thing is the problem.
I'm not really a fan of the playoff system, I wish it'd go back to the BCS. 12 team playoff seems particularly egregious. I do agree NIL and super conferences is worse though.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX

Yeah, but I mean they beat the #2 team in a thriller the game before that. I liked the fact they didn't have Alabama in as a 2 loss team, what can you do.

What's worse, the TCU quarterback entered the transfer portal not long after. THAT is what is not a good look for college football, all these kids getting up and moving on to a different college. They need to change the transfer rules, because that is my biggest gripe with college sports.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Yeah, but I mean they beat the #2 team in a thriller the game before that. I liked the fact they didn't have Alabama in as a 2 loss team, what can you do.

What's worse, the TCU quarterback entered the transfer portal not long after. THAT is what is not a good look for college football, all these kids getting up and moving on to a different college. They need to change the transfer rules, because that is my biggest gripe with college sports.

I watched some of Coach Prime, the Deion Sanders documentary. It was better than I expected. Deion was able to get the top recruit in the country to come to Jackson State. Still, as soon as Sanders bolted for Colorado (I don't blame him), the top recruit and several other players immediately followed. The situation is worse than in the NFL, where at least most players are on multi-year contracts.

Dirty Old Man

Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I watched some of Coach Prime, the Deion Sanders documentary. It was better than I expected. Deion was able to get the top recruit in the country to come to Jackson State. Still, as soon as Sanders bolted for Colorado (I don't blame him), the top recruit and several other players immediately followed. The situation is worse than in the NFL, where at least most players are on multi-year contracts.
Yeah, I just read the Pac12 tried to capitalize on the Coach Prime hype by having Colorado play a kickoff classic ("week 0") game this year, and ASU jumped up and volunteered to be the opponent, but somebody somewhere is putting the kibosh on the idea as it would have one or both of the teams playing 9 weeks straight or something... (personally as a Gator and a guy who dislikes self-aggrandizing bigmouths in general I hope Sanders falls flat on his face, but that's just me).

I can sort of see both sides to the transfer portal thing - on the one hand, it is kind of annoying that students on which a school invested a lot of time and energy (and, well, money) can just bolt from one school to another like that, the old rule of having to sit out a year was pretty effective at keeping it from happening...but on the other side, there's the "freedom!" issue of: why shouldn't a kid be allowed to change schools if the other school will have him? - students do that all the time for a number of reasons: closer to home, failing out of the harder school, money, etc. etc.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
dislikes self-aggrandizing bigmouths in general I hope Sanders falls flat on his face

I never was a fan of "Prime Time" the player, but I admire him as a coach. He motivates and holds people accountable. I think he's a good influence on the "kids." Will almost certainly have success in Colorado, but probably not to the same degree as Jackson State.

students do that all the time

True. The Universities are also making millions off of their "free" labor. I know... they're getting a subsidized education, but the money raked in by the major schools far exceeds that paid out in scholarship. The players should be able transfer at will.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I never was a fan of "Prime Time" the player, but I admire him as a coach. He motivates and holds people accountable. I think he's a good influence on the "kids." Will almost certainly have success in Colorado, but probably not to the same degree as Jackson State.

True. The Universities are also making millions off of their "free" labor. I know... they're getting a subsidized education, but the money raked in by the major schools far exceeds that paid out in scholarship. The players should be able transfer at will.
I don't think it's particularly good solution. Money has been corrupting college football for quite sometime but instead of putting pressure on them to fix the system, we just encouraged them to let the players get in on the action. I'd greatly have preferred a more creative solution like capping coach salaries and putting rules in place that forces all profits to be used on scholarships for athletes and non-athletes. That way college football isn't making millions, they're instead giving 10's of thousands a chance to go to a university and not come out buried in debt.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I don't think it's particularly good solution. Money has been corrupting college football for quite sometime but instead of putting pressure on them to fix the system, we just encouraged them to let the players get in on the action. I'd greatly have preferred a more creative solution like capping coach salaries and putting rules in place that forces all profits to be used on scholarships for athletes and non-athletes. That way college football isn't making millions, they're instead giving 10's of thousands a chance to go to a university and not come out buried in debt.

It would be hard to determine what constitutes profit. Unlike a business, there's no incentive in college sports to be profitable, only to cover expenses and support ALL sports programs. At most schools, football and basketball revenue fund the entire athletic department.

Oh hell yeah!!

Great cast. Should be funny. I have the entire Mel Brooks collection on DVD.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Thanks to those that told me to keep watching Andor...it got better. The dialogue is superior to most other Star Wars offerings. I also liked how they portrayed rebellion as messy and confusing, with shifting loyalties and hidden agendas. Too bad season 2 is over a year away.

Reactions: RemoAZ

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Interesting study on sports injuries. What major N American sport has the highest injury rate? Nope, not football; it's basketball. Football is actually the lowest. What provides the surprising results has to do with the number of games played as well as the number of minutes of game time. The avg NFL game is only 11.5 minutes of actual play. If you are a starter on offense or defense, you might only play 5 minutes per contest.

At the high school level, girls' soccer produces the second-highest concussion rate. Scary.

The most common injuries in hockey are to the back and groin.

1673877738248.png

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Interesting study on sports injuries. What major N American sport has the highest injury rate? Nope, not football; it's basketball. Football is actually the lowest. What provides the surprising results has to do with the number of games played as well as the number of minutes of game time. The avg NFL game is only 11.5 minutes of actual play. If you are a starter on offense or defense, you might only play 5 minutes per contest.

At the high school level, girls' soccer produces the second-highest concussion rate. Scary.

The most common injuries in hockey are to the back and groin.

View attachment 636040

Basketball players are wimps and consider a hangnail a long term injury requiring acute medical care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad