OT: Arizona Coyotes Lounge XIV - Life, The Universe and “Marvel Studios kicks DC Comics’ ass.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
in a lot of cases acv can be less than bluebook. especially if your insurance company already knows of prior damage.
Oh, absolutely, but the point is "actual cash value" is pretty nebulous. If you can make a good case for the fair market value (depreciated, in the condition it was), agents will generally work with you. Agents aren't writing you a personal check. Most of them want to retain you. If you can show your make and model and condition/mileage is running substantially more than what they are offering you, they will move. If they offer 6000 and you find one at 10,000 it probably doesn't help you much. If you find one at ten, three in the 7500--9000 range and one that needs mechanical work for 6000, you're in pretty good shape to have a discussion. It helps if you're one of the people who take your car in for recommended maintenance at 35, 65 or whatever your manual says and can prove it, same with oil changes, body and interior condition. You basically are selling him/her on value.
If you go in and say, "how can it only be worth 6000-- I paid 18 for it four years ago!" , they will just smile sympathetically and very politely tell you to pound sand. But they are generally willing to listen if you can show their numbers are out of whack with reality.

cromag27

Nov 7, 2017
Oh, absolutely, but the point is "actual cash value" is pretty nebulous. If you can make a good case for the fair market value (depreciated, in the condition it was), agents will generally work with you. Agents aren't writing you a personal check. Most of them want to retain you. If you can show your make and model and condition/mileage is running substantially more than what they are offering you, they will move. If they offer 6000 and you find one at 10,000 it probably doesn't help you much. If you find one at ten, three in the 7500--9000 range and one that needs mechanical work for 6000, you're in pretty good shape to have a discussion. It helps if you're one of the people who take your car in for recommended maintenance at 35, 65 or whatever your manual says and can prove it, same with oil changes, body and interior condition. You basically are selling him/her on value.
If you go in and say, "how can it only be worth 6000-- I paid 18 for it four years ago!" , they will just smile sympathetically and very politely tell you to pound sand. But they are generally willing to listen if you can show their numbers are out of whack with reality.

maybe if you’re with uncle bob’s insurance. but not with the big boys. and actual agent has nothing to do with payout. it’s up to the claims investigators. their job is to make sure the customer is made whole and does not benefit/profit from the outcome. if you are referring to a local agent (not direct) then yes, they may want to retain business is some cases, but the insurance company they sell for, is really in charge. and believe it or not, insurance companies are more than happy to deny certain people coverage.

when you’re dealing with your own insurance company to pay for your vehicle, there’s less leverage than when dealing with someone else’s company because they hit you.

Last edited:

cromag27

Nov 7, 2017
Not sure if this applies here, but I had a attorney friend in Edmonton who was driving his "old hunting car" and was rear ended. Of course the insurance wanted to give him nothing for it, so he told them to repair it, or give him more $$. The insurance company ponied up pretty fast.

different scenario. when the accident isn’t your fault you have much more leverage.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
My daughter was in an accident last year. She was making a left turn at an intersection and the car that hit her ripped off the front end of the van. Air bags depolyed eventually declared a total loss. Police said it doesn't matter, if you're making a left turn, you are at fault. I have insurance with USAA, and had the 20% add on. They paid it off and I got a few grand on top of it.

cromag27

Nov 7, 2017
My daughter was in an accident last year. She was making a left turn at an intersection and the car that hit her ripped off the front end of the van. Air bags depolyed eventually declared a total loss. Police said it doesn't matter, if you're making a left turn, you are at fault. I have insurance with USAA, and had the 20% add on. They paid it off and I got a few grand on top of it.

in most jurisdictions left turns are almost always at fault.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Don't buy new, get 10 year old Camry or something that never breaks down and has cheap maintenance. Paying interest on a depreciating asset is the worst thing you can do with money.

In principle you are right, but l can think of worse things to do with money

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
different scenario. when the accident isn’t your fault you have much more leverage.
Why? Insurance is insurance and the law is the law. Like I said, not sure if it applies here, but if you have a car and can't afford a new one I can't see why you can make them fix it or give you more money.

cromag27

Nov 7, 2017
Why? Insurance is insurance and the law is the law. Like I said, not sure if it applies here, but if you have a car and can't afford a new one I can't see why you can make them fix it or give you more money.

insurance companies are all about risk. your risk and theirs. insurance is regulated by the government but they still have a lot of flexibility when it comes to coverages. what companies will do in certain circumstances will vary greatly on many factors. my statement was general. but yes, claims departments will take into consideration who was at fault.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
for sure. i would never buy a 10 year old car unless it was a “classic”.

Depending on the mileage...

Wife got an 11 year old Trailblazer LTZ with only 44k miles on it 2 1/2 years ago.

Other than a failed ABS module it’s been purring along.

cromag27

Nov 7, 2017
Depending on the mileage...

Wife got an 11 year old Trailblazer LTZ with only 44k miles on it 2 1/2 years ago.

Other than a failed ABS module it’s been purring along.

one overlooked issue we have here are dried gaskets.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
I used to be obsessed with Radiohead and last decade drove out to California to see them in concert. I can easily name 5 and I'm not exactly going to start with "Creep" either :laugh:

Going from memory, here are 5 noteworthy songs I recall and can name:

Morning Bell
Karma Police
Fake Plastic Trees
House of Cards
Like Spinning Plates (live version >>>>>>>>>>>> album version)

They are underrated and deserved of HOF.

Without using Creep, I would have only come up with four:

House of Cards
Present Tense
Hearing Damage (does that count if it's only Thom?)
You and Who's Army

Reactions: MIG

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I didnt even ask what happens if they can't repair it. I get a new car and have to make payments on the new one? So pay off my old car and have to pay off the new one? Crappy.
You won't be paying on two loans, what will likely happen is you'll get a check for your car, you'll take however much out of that check and pay off your first loan.Then you're left with a lump sum of cash, no more car loan and no car, what comes next will be up to you.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
They are underrated and deserved of HOF.

Without using Creep, I would have only come up with four:

House of Cards
Present Tense
Hearing Damage (does that count if it's only Thom?)
You and Who's Army

Who's the most unworthy? Ringo Star would make my list.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
yeah those are killer. i will admit that batteries are one thing i do get the extra warranty on.

I manage an auto repair/tire shop. We only sell Interstate batteries that come with at least the first two years free replacement (except for labor). The Interstate rep told me they do more warranty replacements in Arizona than any other state. The heat here is killer. I've replaced my batter in my '14 Tacoma 3 times. It sits in the sun all day at work so it gets punished. There are definitely cheaper batteries but if you can afford a few extra dollars up front and keep your vehicle more than a year or two, getting a good battery typically saves you money in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad