Not open for further replies.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
rt said:
I hate musicals

You and I are complete opposites on this one. I love musicals, whether theater or movies, and have a very soft spot for the Disney movies where they sing.

Walking around the other day I was singing "Part of their World" from The Little Mermaid while walking around doing errands. People were giving me funny looks.

MP

Feb 8, 2008
I love musicals, whether theater or movies

Depends on how you define "musical," though. Like, I was going to type out a list of all-time greats who never wrote a musical, because I'm in my cups and thought that would somehow change your mind about the genre. But then I got to thinking. Chaucer and Shakespeare and Marlowe, they all wrote in verse. As did the Greek tragic poets and playwrights, as did the Roman satirists (I swear there's a point, bear with me), as did the skalds of the Anglo-Saxons, as did the exponents of the Gilgamesh epic (nearly there!). They were meant to be read aloud, perhaps even accompanied by instruments. (And here's the upshot--) Still, I wouldn't put them in the same category as Singin' in the Rain, for instance. And then you have things like concept albums to consider.

This is a very roundabout way of saying that I thought I caught you on some form of technicality, but I am in fact out of my depth. In more than one sense of the phrase.

EDIT: In fact, I've done a complete 180. Where would Western literature be without the musical, in one form or another? Nowhere, I say.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
You and I are complete opposites on this one. I love musicals, whether theater or movies, and have a very soft spot for the Disney movies where they sing.

Walking around the other day I was singing "Part of their World" from The Little Mermaid while walking around doing errands. People were giving me funny looks.

Even when I was six years old I'd fast forward through the singing parts of Disney movies. I've always hated it my entire life. It makes me feel extraordinarily uncomfortable and embarrassed. I feel like they're all making such idiots of themselves and they seem painfully stupid with their singing and dancing. It's hard to explain because it's a feeling and not a thought. But it makes me want to run out of the room. I've literally had to run out of the room before. I was forced into field trips as a child where they bussed us to musica theatre productions and I literally had to walk out and face disciplinary action from my school for failure to cope with the situation.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
I like musicals...Rocky Horror Picture Show...Blues Brothers...Airheads...Guardians of the Galaxy

..all the classics!

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Even when I was six years old I'd fast forward through the singing parts of Disney movies. I've always hated it my entire life. It makes me feel extraordinarily uncomfortable and embarrassed. I feel like they're all making such idiots of themselves and they seem painfully stupid with their singing and dancing. It's hard to explain because it's a feeling and not a thought. But it makes me want to run out of the room. I've literally had to run out of the room before. I was forced into field trips as a child where they bussed us to musica theatre productions and I literally had to walk out and face disciplinary action from my school for failure to cope with the situation.

That's fair enough, to each their own tastes. When I was a kid I did the exact opposite actually and would rewind the movie after the songs. I've probably watched Frozen about 100 times in French and English and know every word to every song in both languages.

I take things to the extreme :laugh:

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
I just don't like activities is what I'm trying to say. I'll go on booze and food vacations without hesitation. I'm never going to snorkel or parasail or zip line or bungee jump or ride a motorcycle or go mountain biking or kayaking or river rafting or to a musical or any other kind of activity.

WALL-E-382.jpg

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

You should maybe see someone about that. Having that much anxiety isn't normal, though I don't need to tell you that.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Bang on.
You should maybe see someone about that. Having that much anxiety isn't normal, though I don't need to tell you that.
Nah. It's good for the get up and go. Not sure all things have to be corrected. Shame and anxiety get me through the hump on most days. I'm doing okay and it's born mostly from fear. I might just be more honest about that Han most people. Or more confused about it. Either way, seeing someone isn't in the cards. I'm generally happy.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I will be moving up to Payson on Wednesday. Gonna miss living in the valley, but a small town feel and cooler weather in rim country will be nice.

Plus, I'm only an hour and a half drive away from the valley up there. I'll need some snow-appropriate clothing though. I always enjoy clothes shopping. :)

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I will be moving up to Payson on Wednesday. Gonna miss living in the valley, but a small town feel and cooler weather in rim country will be nice.

Plus, I'm only an hour and a half drive away from the valley up there. I'll need some snow-appropriate clothing though. I always enjoy clothes shopping. :)

I was just there last weekend. It was 90. You've got time.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I was just there last weekend. It was 90. You've got time.

I've lived there before. It's a nice place, and I'll be living at a house in the nearby village of Whispering Pines actually, where the temperature is usually 5-10 degrees cooler than whatever it is in Payson city proper.

The main negatives of moving up there are that, being a Phoenix-area native, I'll be kinda far away from my friends and contacts. Oh well. It's a 90-minute drive to get back to the valley. In this day and age with long commutes and traffic, Payson might as well be considered a "distant suburb" of Phoenix anyway :laugh:

I'll be just a small town girl, living in a lonely world :sarcasm:

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Payson City
Hope it goes well ... why the move?
The Lone Rangers???
What's wrong with that?
Well ... there's THREE of you.

I wish that movie had a better title. It's so ****ing funny and that title is so ****ing dumb. Not totally sure where things got so sideways for the term 'airhead' ... did it get ruined by blonde jokes? Or those crappy candies we all liked so much in 4th grade because we didn't realize they were literally just bars of colored corn syrup?

Airheads-263x300.jpg

Am I correct in assuming it's the choreographed dancing, not the singing in and of itself, that makes your skin crawl? I'm kinda on board with this sentiment if so. There's something super pretentious about two dozen people prancing around rhythmically while also singing ... like they're being too expressive. Unnaturally expressive. And it looks disturbingly unnatural.

Subtract the dancing or just ignore it and I don't know what there is not to love about singing in movies. 99.999% of Hollywood movies make extensive use of a background score to set the mood and to guide transitions into new scenes. The best music in the world is well-written, narrative hip hop, and the storytelling it's built on is basically just very compact musical theater.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Hope it goes well ... why the move?

At the risk of coming across as self-indulgent, a very long history of mental illness. I've tried living alone and/or on my own and repeatedly failed to be self-sufficient. It's also next to impossible to find a job being transgender. I'm going to Payson to live with family, not have to worry about being able to feed myself (I've spent most of the last couple months not knowing where my next meal was coming from... my eating disorder aside) or paying rent, and will be able to finish my associate's degree at Gila Community College.

I'm 30 and don't have my **** figured out in life yet, and that's really bad. Just makes things worse. I don't think I'll particularly enjoy a year or two up there and I hope that doesn't push me to the breaking point, but if I can get through it, it'll be good for me overall. Also I have almost no other options.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I've lived there before. It's a nice place, and I'll be living at a house in the nearby village of Whispering Pines actually, where the temperature is usually 5-10 degrees cooler than whatever it is in Payson city proper.

The main negatives of moving up there are that, being a Phoenix-area native, I'll be kinda far away from my friends and contacts. Oh well. It's a 90-minute drive to get back to the valley. In this day and age with long commutes and traffic, Payson might as well be considered a "distant suburb" of Phoenix anyway :laugh:

I'll be just a small town girl, living in a lonely world :sarcasm:

Are you going to go on and on about that?:laugh:

Anyway, hope you have an easy move. We moved to Phoenix from a small town in Pennsylvania. My two oldest daughters, 8 and 6 at the time, were used to being the only people around who spoke Spanish. They found out the hard way that people speak Spanish in Phoenix when they commented to each other about a lady's weight in Spanish while we were walking around in Fiesta Mall, and she told them off. That was 23 years ago.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Are you going to go on and on about that?:laugh:

Anyway, hope you have an easy move. We moved to Phoenix from a small town in Pennsylvania. My two oldest daughters, 8 and 6 at the time, were used to being the only people around who spoke Spanish. They found out the hard way that people speak Spanish in Phoenix when they commented to each other about a lady's weight in Spanish while we were walking around in Fiesta Mall, and she told them off. That was 23 years ago.

:laugh: I bet that comes up in conversation all the time. Part of growing up.

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
I ordered a new Doan home jersey today. Really excited to get it. Now, they just need to come out with a reebok kachina (I hate circus tent-CCMs) and I'd be ecstatic.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Finished my move to Payson today. Had an emotional breakdown on the way there the entire time.

Still can't stop crying for longer than a few minutes at a time. :(

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Finished my move to Payson today. Had an emotional breakdown on the way there the entire time.

Still can't stop crying for longer than a few minutes at a time. :(

It's never easy to upheave yourself. I had mixed emotions in 2001 when I decided I had to move from San Diego to Phoenix. It meant tearing my wife away from a good job, giving up about 40% in pay to start, and pulling everyone away from relatives. In the end though it's worked out well, despite the bumps we've had along the way.

These days I have to deal with my daughter going through her own separation anxieties every time she heads back up to Flag to attend NAU. She wants the independence but can't quite let go of her mom yet. This will be the third year of going through this.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
These days I have to deal with my daughter going through her own separation anxieties every time she heads back up to Flag to attend NAU. She wants the independence but can't quite let go of her mom yet. This will be the third year of going through this.

This is identical to my own situation (maybe our daughters know each other from class, you never know). It's funny, because I remember feeling the same yearning to live my own life, only to be terrified of having to live my own life, back when I was in college too.

Even funnier - my kid can't let go of her mom, but she could care less about her dad... :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad