Arizona Coyotes Lounge IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALA YotesPhan

Jul 2, 2002
Nothern Alabama
Visit site
It can be 6 months from when you drop below half time. Have a family emergency or otherwise have your studies interrupted? Can't afford it? Work conflict? Grace period starts ticking, even if you haven't graduated. Student loans also stick with you in a big way. A lot of kids don't know what they are signing up for, and plenty more have no other choice. All in all, it's a pretty ****ed up system. It will pop.

They have figured it out. As a parent of two college kids, I now have over 100k in their student loans to repay. Too many students are without jobs and unable to pay, therefore Sallie Mae asks who "claimed" the student on the previous years taxes, if it is the parent, then the student gets a small $2700 student loan and the parent gets the rest.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I think he meant "isn't about educating" and I agree. It's a racket, look at Pittsburgh, a city reborn through higher education dollars.
Well it's not unlike most things in life, you're directly responsible for your education and what you get out of it. If you want to major in underwater basket weaving while paying $10k a year, the colleges are happy to oblige you.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
So sick of the word "generational" especially since, by definition, you can't use it twice in one year + 10 years prior + the year after.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Well it's not unlike most things in life, you're directly responsible for your education and what you get out of it. If you want to major in underwater basket weaving while paying $10k a year, the colleges are happy to oblige you.

While that's true, the point is basically absurd and a red hearing at best.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
So sick of the word "generational" especially since, by definition, you can't use it twice in one year + 10 years prior + the year after.

The thing is, if you say that then you can't really say Crosby is generational, because Ovi is right there with him

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
No, but Malkin is generational too.

And Stamkos.

And Jagr. And Brodeur. And Lidstrom. And Yzerman and Sakic.

Because a generation lasts 2 years.

I guess you can view generational players as players who were just on that other level from other top players in their generation

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
It's pretty simple and you're intelligent enough to understand. You are belittleing the point with an absurd deflection intending to put onus on the student.
The onus IS on the student!!! Colleges want your tuition first and foremost, once they've got that, they'll let you do whatever. So if you want a good education and an employable degree it's all on you.

MaddyB85

Dec 2, 2014
Central Florida
I probably saved well over $10,000 by taking my first 60-some credits at Community College.

That's a economical way to go! Just make sure your credits are transferable to the university of your choice.
In my opinion, there's no reason to spend $25,000/year in a university for the 'basic studies' courses one can take at the local community college.

When I started college in 1979 (YES! I'm THAT old) tuition, books, room/board cost between $8,000-$9,000/year. That SAME tuition, books, room/board is now $48,000 per year!
Explain to me how the cost of college can increase 600% in 35 years. The same program (ok, some of the program HAS changed because the world has changed) but a 600% increase!
I'm referring to the University of Michigan College of Architecture.
How In The Hell does a parent afford college these days???? You better have smart kids with scholarships. Grants and loans didn't exist back then.

Speaking of grants, I got a Pell Grant to go back to school in 2009. ALL paid for by the government. Look into it!!!! Seriously!!!!
You don't have to pay this grant back.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
The onus IS on the student!!! Colleges want your tuition first and foremost, once they've got that, they'll let you do whatever. So if you want a good education and an employable degree it's all on you.

All things are in the end up to the individual. I think the point is that when profit exceeds what should be an emphasis on providing a quality education via quality professors etc. - it becomes difficult for the student to not only meet his/her goals, but to even know how/where to go about reaching said goals.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
All things are in the end up to the individual. I think the point is that when profit exceeds what should be an emphasis on providing a quality education via quality professors etc. - it becomes difficult for the student to not only meet his/her goals, but to even know how/where to go about reaching said goals.

Boy, did you hit the nail on the head. You said it all in this one paragraph.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad