Claimed off Waivers: [ARI] Harri Sateri claimed off waivers by the Coyotes from the Maple Leafs

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Even if every Williams and Thornton does this - instead of thinking they'd rather have the NHL money, or are chasing milestones, or don't want to uproot their lives to go to a new continent, or don't think they can do a full season - we're talking 5-10 guys a season most of the time, most of whom are bottom six guys who go on to put up low playoff numbers. Signing them rather than throwing in rental mostly saves about a 4th.

Not to mention they're pretty much all min wage, so if a team believes in them enough to handshake at the start of a season, why not just sign them?

So no, I don't think it's the rule. The list of reasons NHL players don't go and wait in Europe for the post-season is long enough without waivers.

Again, you are going with the assumption that players would act the same if the rule was not there, which I don't believe would be the case.

Teams also have injuries throughout the season, so it's easy to come at the TDL with an active roster under 23 and a few IR player. Then you sign a few player at TDL and voila, you are over 23 players when the TDL is done and the roster limit disappear.

Reactions: mouser

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Again, you are going with the assumption that players would act the same if the rule was not there, which I don't believe would be the case.

Teams also have injuries throughout the season, so it's easy to come at the TDL with an active roster under 23 and a few IR player. Then you sign a few player at TDL and voila, you are over 23 players when the TDL is done and the roster limit disappear.

No. I went with the assumption that everything you said would happen, despite believing there's a ton of reasons why it wouldn't in every case, and still came to the conclusion that it wouldn't result in a major boost. It would result in a bunch of bottom sixers you don't have to pay a 3rd or 4th for. That's not a major boost.

Also, not only did I say nothing about roster limits (therefore puzzling me as to why you bring it up), but you can already do that so it's not adding any boost whatsoever.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
No. I went with the assumption that everything you said would happen, despite believing there's a ton of reasons why it wouldn't in every case, and still came to the conclusion that it wouldn't result in a major boost. It would result in a bunch of bottom sixers you don't have to pay a 3rd or 4th for. That's not a major boost.

Also, not only did I say nothing about roster limits (therefore puzzling me as to why you bring it up), but you can already do that so it's not adding any boost whatsoever.

Ok, we disagree on that.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I remember the days when I "had to listen to the Toronto radio guys",

Man, that was a LONG time ago.

I haven't listened to that crap in at least 5 years, probably more.

I prefer to plug my phone into the auxilary in on my old Chevy Cobalt and listen to good music.

I watch the games, don't need someone else to tell me what I watched, after the fact, anymore.

To each their own, I just prefer listening to AM stations on my drive in.

Between 590 and 1050 there's usually some entertaining content......but at times, like I said, it can get pretty cringeworthy. :laugh:

Ajaton Azer

A small hamster
Dec 5, 2005
Spandex
I think that Harri Säteri is a very good goaltender, but this whole thing has put him in a difficult spot. Backtending a terrible Arizona goaltending is not easy. Maybe he can manage to show his worth in practice sessions and gain a spot for the season upcoming.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If this had gone through Leafs probably have 5-6 more losses on the season instead of having Kallgren come up and win those games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad