Claimed off Waivers: [ARI] Harri Sateri claimed off waivers by the Coyotes from the Maple Leafs

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
There are maybe 4-5 NHL players on the Coyotes roster:

Maccelli-Hayton-Schmaltz
Carcone-Smith-Boyd
Ladd-Eriksson-Kessel
Ritchie-Beagle-McBain

Gostisbehere-Mayo
Moser-Stralman
Dineen-Kolyachonok
You can still look good with a bad team

He looked terrible

The Leafs got lucky

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Had to listen to the Toronto radio guys chirping him this morning after Sateri apparently clarified on the proper pronunciation of his name.

I guess the rhyming "Harri Sateri" was fun for them to say, so they didn't appreciate his request that it be changed to HA-rri SAT-eri, even if that's probably how it's been pronounced his whole life.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Not gonna lie I was pissed about this but not because of the player but because of what has happened to more players from the TML roster passing through waivers. I think the process is flawed. The GM and brass in Toronto has shown a willingness to move players if they don’t fit in or are looking for an opportunity elsewhere.

Glad to see we avoided a major misstep.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
this guy is f***ing awful. Dubas bringing him in, in order to lose him to the AZ tank - thus f***ing the habs out of 1st overall is some serious 4-D chess
Last place only guarantees 4th overall. You could win it being 2nd or 3rd. Either way the crop this year doesn’t look like it has any franchise talent, it’s next year you want to tank for, and Sateri is going to be a UFA in the off-season.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Had to listen to the Toronto radio guys chirping him this morning after Sateri apparently clarified on the proper pronunciation of his name.

I guess the rhyming "Harri Sateri" was fun for them to say, so they didn't appreciate his request that it be changed to HA-rri SAT-eri, even if that's probably how it's been pronounced his whole life.
What is this? 😂

It’ll be okay.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Not gonna lie I was pissed about this ... because of what has happened to more players from the TML roster passing through waivers. I think the process is flawed.
i get that an immediate reaction might be to feel victimized,
but what it really seems to mean is that Leafs have a top-tier pro-scouting department
( exhibits 1A and 2A - Campbell and Bunting; also Kampf)
many teams don't
it seems pretty obvious why the guys other teams waive don't get claimed - they're not that desirable

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I believe he only proves he doen't have full motivation to play in Arizona. He wants yo leave asap. He is a good goalie. I believe he would've been much better fit for actually a decent team.

Tbf he ended up in Arizona against his wishes anyway, the team has nothing to win except lottery.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I think people saying the Leafs dodged a bullet are underestimating just how grave the Leafs goaltending situation was just a few short weeks ago.

Sateri was brought in as depth. Anything more for a guy having a good year outside the NHL was gravy.

That said, I feel like signing on as depth for a team heading to the playoffs (first round, anyway...) and then getting sent to the bottom of the league doesn't really motivate a person to play. No offense to Arizona but he didn't sign up for the season they are having.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Andrei Vasilevskiy isn’t putting up better than .890% and 3.10GAA behind this:

Maccelli-Hayton-Schmaltz
Carcone-Smith-Boyd
Ladd-Eriksson-Kessel
Ritchie-Beagle-McBain

Gostisbehere-Mayo
Moser-Stralman
Dineen-Kolyachonok

Reactions: teddygmr

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Andrei Vasilevskiy isn’t putting up better than .890% and 3.10GAA behind this:

Maccelli-Hayton-Schmaltz
Carcone-Smith-Boyd
Ladd-Eriksson-Kessel
Ritchie-Beagle-McBain

Gostisbehere-Mayo
Moser-Stralman
Dineen-Kolyachonok
I mean...you have another goalie that is putting up better then that no?

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
this guy is f***ing awful. Dubas bringing him in, in order to lose him to the AZ tank - thus f***ing the habs out of 1st overall is some serious 4-D chess
Habs don't really care, we'd rathrr draft #1 next year anyways which is a lot more plausible if we don't draft Wright!

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I believe he only proves he doen't have full motivation to play in Arizona. He wants yo leave asap. He is a good goalie. I believe he would've been much better fit for actually a decent team.

Tbf he ended up in Arizona against his wishes anyway, the team has nothing to win except lottery.
Tbf, he knew he had to clear waivers, Toronto knew he had to clear waivers, and he is playing for a contract for next season. Signing this late only suggests that he is auditioning for next season. That should be more than enough motivation.

Reactions: ck26

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Last place only guarantees 4th overall. You could win it being 2nd or 3rd. Either way the crop this year doesn’t look like it has any franchise talent, it’s next year you want to tank for, and Sateri is going to be a UFA in the off-season.
it was a joke, leafs fan
:scared:

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
They changed it so you can only drop two spots.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com

I remember the days when I "had to listen to the Toronto radio guys",

Man, that was a LONG time ago.

I haven't listened to that crap in at least 5 years, probably more.

I prefer to plug my phone into the auxilary in on my old Chevy Cobalt and listen to good music.

I watch the games, don't need someone else to tell me what I watched, after the fact, anymore.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
But then you could say Europe is not a major source of boosting because of that rule.

Veteran guys trying for a Cup in their last couple NHL worthy years would be best served by going to Europe and then signing with the established contenders than trying to guess who is a contender before the season. They are also best served by earning money and playing pro hockey than sitting at home (and maybe playing beer league hockey) waiting for March.

Even if every Williams and Thornton does this - instead of thinking they'd rather have the NHL money, or are chasing milestones, or don't want to uproot their lives to go to a new continent, or don't think they can do a full season - we're talking 5-10 guys a season most of the time, most of whom are bottom six guys who go on to put up low playoff numbers. Signing them rather than throwing in rental mostly saves about a 4th.

Not to mention they're pretty much all min wage, so if a team believes in them enough to handshake at the start of a season, why not just sign them?

So no, I don't think it's the rule. The list of reasons NHL players don't go and wait in Europe for the post-season is long enough without waivers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad