Claimed off Waivers: [ARI] Harri Sateri claimed off waivers by the Coyotes from the Maple Leafs

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Sure, but if this player is good enough to be worth a hand shake at the start of the season, they're already giving up money by playing in Europe rather than the NHL for most of the season, so why not all the money rather than some of it?

And if the worry of boosting teams this way is real, why aren't guys like Williams and Fisher subjected to waivers as well?

I can't help but think the answer to both of these questions is because it isn't really a real worry. There's not enough talent in Europe for this to be an actual source of major boosting unless players are deliberately doing it to help teams, and there's already a loophole if they want to. Maybe once upon a time this mattered but not now.

But then you could say Europe is not a major source of boosting because of that rule.

Veteran guys trying for a Cup in their last couple NHL worthy years would be best served by going to Europe and then signing with the established contenders than trying to guess who is a contender before the season. They are also best served by earning money and playing pro hockey than sitting at home (and maybe playing beer league hockey) waiting for March.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Those are not significant NHL players anymore.
I think it's time to update the rule. No significant NHL player would do that anymore.

Well that depends on what your definition on significant NHL player is.

You said a guy going 0.5+ ppg in the NHL (Williams) was not a significant player, so...

Getting a game ready Joe Thornton or Justin Williams at the TDL without having to spend cap before is a big deal to me. It allows you to spend a few hundred thousand more on your other players.

Selyanin

#StammerTime
May 2, 2014
The North
Well that depends on what your definition on significant NHL player is.

You said a guy going 0.5+ ppg in the NHL (Williams) was not a significant player, so...

Getting a game ready Joe Thornton or Justin Williams at the TDL without having to spend cap before is a big deal to me. It allows you to spend a few hundred thousand more on your other players.
Ok I agree there are minor cases where it could be abused. I just think it screws over regular players playing in Europe too much for minimal reward. Maybe change it that only players who played in Nhl the previous year have to go through waivers.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Next year : Rule changed, no more waivers.
Leafs meets an even more stacked Tampa team in first round and gets knocked out yet again.
Another massive thread from Leafs fans complaining for a rule change.

Reactions: Okanagan

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
A rule created in the 80s due to the oilers bites the Leafs 35 years later

Love it
Boy...how will the Leafs ever survive the loss of Harri? May have been a blessing in disguise as Mrazek has won his last two games since being waived. Gues it was a pretty small bite

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Nah. The Coyotes and goalie coach Schwabb have a long history of taking marginal goalies and helping them find more career success. Or at least turning them into to higher value assets. In the last nine months they've sent off three goalies for assets.

Wedgewood: waivers --> 4th round pick

Kuemper: LA backup --> AZ star --> 1st rounder and Connor Timmins

Hill: 3rd round pick --> 2nd round pick

Schwabb and management were already familiar with Sateri. It could be a good fit.
Have to respect the assets management on that.

Arizona is definitely playing with a handicap more ways than 1, so interesting to see them doing this.

Last edited:

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Doesn't look like he's doing quite well at the NHL. Just got blown out by Calgary? Though I'll admit I haven't watched any of the games, his stats seem to tell the story

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
I mean he plays for the Coyotes so difficult to judge him. Might be on the Leafs radar as an AHL goalie for next year since they've had clear dialogue

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Doesn't look like he's doing quite well at the NHL. Just got blown out by Calgary? Though I'll admit I haven't watched any of the games, his stats seem to tell the story
There are maybe 4-5 NHL players on the Coyotes roster:

Maccelli-Hayton-Schmaltz
Carcone-Smith-Boyd
Ladd-Eriksson-Kessel
Ritchie-Beagle-McBain

Gostisbehere-Mayo
Moser-Stralman
Dineen-Kolyachonok

Reactions: teddygmr

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011

I watched the first game he played against the Canucks. He did not look like an NHL-calibre goaltender, or even a legitimate AHLer who you want as a #3 or #4 depth goalie. Let in a couple of soft goals and didn’t stop any grade A scoring chances.

Jannik Hansen

Apr 16, 2016
There are maybe 4-5 NHL players on the Coyotes roster:

Maccelli-Hayton-Schmaltz
Carcone-Smith-Boyd
Ladd-Eriksson-Kessel
Ritchie-Beagle-McBain

Gostisbehere-Mayo
Moser-Stralman
Dineen-Kolyachonok

Oof, that's terrible. Just curious, how bad have each of Eriksson, Beagle, and Rousell been for you guys? Do you see any of them even getting a PTO next year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad