Confirmed Signing with Link: [ARI] Coyotes sign Christian Dvorak to 6-yr Extension ($4.45M AAV)

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
To much money for a guy that's never scored 20 goals or 40 points.

2 time 30 goal scorer Nazem Kadri only makes 4.5 and he had at least hit 20 goals and 50 points at least once before getting that money
He also signed that deal a few years ago when there was less cap space. Your point makes no sense

Reactions: Nifty Willy

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Makes Rakells deal look like even more of a steal and Wilson’s look even worse than it did a day ago.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Might have already been asked, but why does he go up to $5 mil just to go back down to $3.45 for a year? Is that a error or some sort of lockout thing?

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
He also signed that deal a few years ago when there was less cap space. Your point makes no sense
4.5m cap hit while the cap was 73m = 6.1%.

Dvoraks contract is currently 5.6% of the cap. So a difference of 0.5%.

However, Kadri already had a 20 goal, 50 point season, a 44 point season in 48 games while also eating up 4 UFA years. Dvorak's contract will take him right to UFA.

Based on this information, I'd say Dvorak is quite overpaid compared to Kadri when he signed his deal.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
4.5m cap hit while the cap was 73m = 6.1%.

Dvoraks contract is currently 5.6% of the cap. So a difference of 0.5%.

However, Kadri already had a 20 goal, 50 point season, a 44 point season in 48 games while also eating up 4 UFA years. Dvorak's contract will take him right to UFA.

Based on this information, I'd say Dvorak is quite overpaid compared to Kadri when he signed his deal.
Imo Dvoraks deal will look nicer with time as he gets better and its a good deal considering the market today. I will also say that Kadri's contract is a damn good deal.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Makes Rakells deal look like even more of a steal and Wilson’s look even worse than it did a day ago.

Dvorak now makes more than Couturier ($4.33), who has 4 more years on his deal :laugh:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
its a sad indictment on the league that this is what passes for a value contract in todays nhl. but reality is what reality is, and this probably will be a value contract.

I cant blame Arizona for dealing with reality and making a contract that reflects the market... all I can do is shake my head that this sort of player gets a guarantee of 24 mill over the next 6 years when he has barely shown he might be able to be a top 6 player on a playoff team

Why is this an indictment? The owners and League are making more money, hence the players get paid more. It’s a very simple connection.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
That Kadri deal was great, no doubt. Dvo's could be too, as his game has developed more in his own end than the offensive side (not to mention who his shuffling linemates have been the past two seasons). I feel like this is an undeniably agreeable contract right now. It could become a steal ala Kadri/Rakell or a slight over payment that a rich franchise wouldnt scoff at in order to obtain him.

As an AZ fan, I prefer this over the bridge deal that could have landed him close to 6m, depending on how the next two seasons play out. Especially when you consider who his agent is. This also helps us understand where our money is going before re-signing Gally, Keller, Chychrun, etc.

Last thought, after struggling to keep some of our young talent in Domi, Duke and getting damn close to missing out on OEL, this contract should show our kids we are comitted to them and the type of deal they can earn on the team. Aka we NEEDED to do this.

Reactions: Riptide

ijuka

May 14, 2016
That's a lot of money for him.

Why is this an indictment? The owners and League are making more money, hence the players get paid more. It’s a very simple connection.
It's that the star players get paid too little and run of the mill players too much. He's making more than a third of what McDavid does, which is very off.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Dvorak now makes more than Couturier ($4.33), who has 4 more years on his deal :laugh:

And Couturier signed for a higher % of the cap at the time of his deal. And Couturier would sign for a much higher number on a new contract today.

What’s the point of trying to compare them other then Couturier got locked up on a great deal, as I assume the Coyotes are hoping will happen with Dvorak?

Reactions: Mosby and Curufinwe

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Man I could have sworn he was a 1st rounder when he was drafted. Did his stock fall in is draft year? I'm super surprised he was a 2nd rounder. Weird.

As for the deal... a little rich for now but it's a gamble I think has a good chance of paying off.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If he can improve over the next few years, this could be a steal. As it is, perhaps a tad high, but not outrageously so.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Seems weird. Lockout year should be 2021-22, not that cheap 2022-23 on Dvorak's deal.

2020-21 is the first potential ending of the current CBA if either the owners or players opt out early.

2022-23 is the default ending of the current CBA.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
At this rate Lucic is going to be on a bargain contract in three seasons.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Should learn from rakell

Or he took a lesson from Despres and/or Hodgson. Odds are it won't happen, but that's why he signed this contract. Absolute worse case scenario (if he gets bought out next summer), he will still be guaranteed 8.91m. Every year beyond that only guarantee's him more. So while it's possible (if not likely) that he's leaving money on the table by signing this early.... should something happen (terrible season, injury, health scare, whatever) he would lose out on a lot more then whatever he'd gain by waiting a season.

The contract sets him up for life regardless of what happens. He will be 29 when he signs his next contract. Still plenty of time to earn more money.

It's hilarious how everyone is praising this contract, but yet Skjei was an overpayment with a grand difference of $800k.

It's like HF sees the number 5

No one who's seen what Skjei can do would think his contract is an overpayment.

I'd estimate he is only losing out on about 1.9M at the end of the day.

I think if he were bridged you would expect about 3.3M x 2. I figure that if he jumps to 50 pt production he could get 5.5M off of that for 4 years after too. That works out to about 28.6M versus the 26.7M he is currently signed for.

Now of course he could sign a longer term 2nd deal, but Id argue that Dvorak could have even more leverage as an UFA.

Either way, I think risk vs reward this makes a lot of sense for him. Strome is still very likely to be the #1C so the chances of him getting those minutes to produce aren't likely.

Yep. Most people overlook how little the overall difference would actually be. Even if it's 3-5m total... the overall point is still there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Getz2perry

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
They are turning Dvorak into a premium asset 5 season from now while cost controlling him.

Coyotes don't care about the cap hit. When this contract kicks in, they'll be paying a very good 3C (or by then a 2C) about 3.4M for three out of the first four years of the contract.

Five years from now when those big 5.75M salary years kick in, the salary cap on the extremely conservative side will be at 90M+. On a 90M salary cap, a top level 3C (or if he becomes it a 2C) on a 2 year 4.45M will be a tremendous asset. We already see top 3Cs like Hanzal and Bonino getting that much on the open market.

What Arizona just did was basically sign Dvorak to a 4 year 3.8M contract while insuring before year 5 hits, they'll have the option not to pay Dvorak his big money and instead get great assets for him in a trade because he'll be a fantastic piece for a cap team.

That would be my guess. Maybe I'm just overthinking the contract, but I don't think it's a coincidence all the big money is pushed up to those two years that kick in after his NTC is activated.
This deserves to be quoted and re-read.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad