Confirmed Signing with Link: [ARI] Coyotes sign Christian Dvorak to 6-yr Extension ($4.45M AAV)

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
It's a decent deal, they obviously expect a lot from Dvorak.

Can't help but think how insanely good the 6x3.8M Rakell deal is though.

Reactions: Snilsson

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I’m a bit surprised at that number. Victor Rask, a comparable Middle-6 center, had a 33 and a 48 point season prior to signing his 6 year extension, which adjusted for cap inflation is at ~$4.35 mil. I thought Dvorak would come in a bit lower.

He's still on his ELC. The Yotes must be bullish on a breakout.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Is projecting him to become kadri level player fair? 4.5x6 would be the same deal as kadri though for him it's on his 2nd contract while kadri was more proven when he got his deal.
Kadri's c.h% was 6.3%
Dvoraks is 5.6%

Good deal, these deals usually work out more than they dont. Dvorak is going to be a solid player.

Reactions: WesMcCauley

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Surprised he signed to a 6 year contract. That could turn out to be an awesome deal in the future.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Thats a hell of a steal anyone whos seen dvorak plays and didn’t just stat check him knows this. Surprises me he didn’t go the bridge, show me what you worth way... he would had made alot more more. I guess he wanted security! Nothing wrong with that and it helps the team.

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin
Thats a hell of a steal anyone whos seen dvorak plays and didn’t just stat check him knows this. Surprises me he didn’t go the bridge, show me what you worth way... he would had made alot more more. I guess he wanted security! Nothing wrong with that and it helps the team.
I agree with this. Slightly more than bridge AAV (3.5-4) with the term you'd expect if he played well in those two years (with his current trajectory, two years from now he'd probably be able to ask for 5-5.5). Seems like a very low downside, potentially very high upside contract.

edit: Especially taking inflation into account

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON

I'd estimate he is only losing out on about 1.9M at the end of the day.

I think if he were bridged you would expect about 3.3M x 2. I figure that if he jumps to 50 pt production he could get 5.5M off of that for 4 years after too. That works out to about 28.6M versus the 26.7M he is currently signed for.

Now of course he could sign a longer term 2nd deal, but Id argue that Dvorak could have even more leverage as an UFA.

Either way, I think risk vs reward this makes a lot of sense for him. Strome is still very likely to be the #1C so the chances of him getting those minutes to produce aren't likely.

Reactions: Riptide

FinnishCoyote

Jan 3, 2017
Gotta love the deal. I think its completely realistic to excpect him to develop 50-60 point shutdowm down center man.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
They have him locked up for 7 full seasons now. Nice.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
It's hilarious how everyone is praising this contract, but yet Skjei was an overpayment with a grand difference of $800k.

It's like as soon as anyone sees the number 5 everyone loses their minds

The psychological difference is substantial, even if the gap is not. Case in point, read the thread about Lindholm's contract demand at $5 mil(+); it's generally critical of the ask. Then go read the thread about him signing for $4.85 mil; there's a ton of praise.

There's a reason why the prices for many goods end in 9s.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Seems like they could've just wasted on this guy. Not sure they are gaining that much by signing this contract today.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Good deal for both side, shows faith in the kid who I think will be pushing 50-60 and they still have another year of the ELC.

As many have echoed I think they could push for wild card.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Seems like they could've just wasted on this guy. Not sure they are gaining that much by signing this contract today.

Seems to me they gain if he takes a big step forward and only lose slightly if he doesn't.
If he takes that step before being locked up it would be costly.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Less than Tom Wilson....Lol that deal looks worse and worse. When better and more valuable players are getting less.​

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

They are turning Dvorak into a premium asset 5 season from now while cost controlling him.

Coyotes don't care about the cap hit. When this contract kicks in, they'll be paying a very good 3C (or by then a 2C) about 3.4M for three out of the first four years of the contract.

Five years from now when those big 5.75M salary years kick in, the salary cap on the extremely conservative side will be at 90M+. On a 90M salary cap, a top level 3C (or if he becomes it a 2C) on a 2 year 4.45M will be a tremendous asset. We already see top 3Cs like Hanzal and Bonino getting that much on the open market.

What Arizona just did was basically sign Dvorak to a 4 year 3.8M contract while insuring before year 5 hits, they'll have the option not to pay Dvorak his big money and instead get great assets for him in a trade because he'll be a fantastic piece for a cap team.

That would be my guess. Maybe I'm just overthinking the contract, but I don't think it's a coincidence all the big money is pushed up to those two years that kick in after his NTC is activated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad