Confirmed Signing with Link: [ARI] Coyotes sign Christian Dvorak to 6-yr Extension ($4.45M AAV)

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Always a risk with a player that hasn't broken out. However, it's a steal if he becomes what they think he will in a 50+ point forward with size. Seen several teams have offered more than 5 for similar forwards. Young defenseman signings seem to be in the 5+ range. So, this is about right for a high talent like Dvorak. Scouting reports were consistent that he had a tireless work ethic which would be a huge factor if I was to sign a player yet to break out to a long term contract at more money. Looks like a good gamble.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Thats a hell of a steal anyone whos seen dvorak plays and didn’t just stat check him knows this. Surprises me he didn’t go the bridge, show me what you worth way... he would had made alot more more. I guess he wanted security! Nothing wrong with that and it helps the team.

How much did he really lose by avoiding a bridge though? He makes an average of 5M per season for the final four years of this contract. I don't think he left all that much on the table here. In an absolute best case scenario where he breaks out as a 50+ point exceptional two way C, two years from now he's worth 6.5M-7M. So let's say he's risked losing a combined 8M in earnings if the best case scenario happens. A worst case scenario would be his progress stagnates, or he suffers from injuries, in which case he now has an extra 20M guaranteed after a bridge deal would have ended.

If he breaks out, he will still be in his 20's when he becomes a UFA.

Because of the Coyotes predicament as a salary team and not a cap team, if they plan on turning Dvorak into a tradeable asset five years from now, this is a fantastic move for everybody involved. Dvorak gets paid, the Coyotes get a good player cost controlled for a half decade and then some assets for him, and whoever trades for Dvorak five years from now gets a solid C on what will be a less than market value cap hit.

Reactions: Riptide

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Always a risk with a player that hasn't broken out. However, it's a steal if he becomes what they think he will in a 50+ point forward with size. Seen several teams have offered more than 5 for similar forwards. Young defenseman signings seem to be in the 5+ range. So, this is about right for a high talent like Dvorak. Scouting reports were consistent that he had a tireless work ethic which would be a huge factor if I was to sign a player yet to break out to a long term contract at more money. Looks like a good gamble.

I think the risk is minimal because if Dvorak was a UFA today, a team would pay him 2 years 4.45M for the player that he is today. That's under a 79.5M salary cap.

The cap will go up within the next five seasons (before Dvorak's big salary years kick in). Dvorak should (although sometimes it doesn't work out) get better. Even if Dvorak does not get better, he'll be a tradeable player five years from now for the Coyotes once they've farmed all his cheap RFA years.

Mr Quacksworth

Apr 8, 2018
Anaheim
20180809_152055.jpg
It's hilarious how everyone is praising this contract, but yet Skjei was an overpayment with a grand difference of $800k.

It's like HF sees the number 5

The psychological difference is substantial, even if the gap is not. Case in point, read the thread about Lindholm's contract demand at $5 mil(+); it's generally critical of the ask. Then go read the thread about him signing for $4.85 mil; there's a ton of praise.

There's a reason why the prices for many goods end in 9s.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Reminds me 100% of JVR's deal when he signed it in 2012.

Jarnkrok too.
I was joing to say, this is the Flyers RFA special!

JVR 6 year 4.25
Couturier 6 year 4.33 million
Simmonds 6 year 3.975 million
Voracek 4 years 4.25 million
Ghost 6 years 4.5 million

Within 2 years, Dvorak will be a 50+ point guy and on a fantastic contract.

Reactions: iSophagus

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I'm a bit surprised no one has mentioned the Rakell deal which this reminds me of. Lools like a pretty decent gamble to me assuming He gets some more offensive opportunities.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Happy with the deal. Boils down to two choices imo, bridge him for 2-3 years at $2.75-3.5m vs lock him up for 6 years at $4-4.5m.

I think the 6 year route is the better choice.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I think this is a smart deal. Dvorak has already shown he can score at a good clip at ES, and the extension won't kick until next season (at which point the hit as a % of the cap will be even smaller).

If he improves remotely, it is a very good value deal.

Reactions: Riptide

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The smart aspect of this deal is that I see Arizona as a team on the rise. On paper, that team should have been better last season, and I think we were starting to see them come together in the later part of that season. OEL is re-signed, removing that looming shadow over the team. Domi wanted to be traded, making him a cancer on that team, and he was traded for Gally. So, with the team being bad, it's not hard to argue that everyone's stats are being handicapped. If they start winning games, individual point totals will rise. Dvorak should be a big beneficiary

Reactions: iSophagus

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Great deal for both sides. You could argue that’s Dvorak left some potential money on the table, but unless you’re some kind of supreme talent it is really difficult to turn down 26.7 mil guaranteed (pre-tax).

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I think there's more risk for the Coyotes here than most believe, apparently. His shot metrics are pretty bad. There's a real chance he's never more than a third liner and it seems like an unnecessarily big commitment.

I guess I'm surprised so many think this will be a steal.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
its a sad indictment on the league that this is what passes for a value contract in todays nhl. but reality is what reality is, and this probably will be a value contract.

I cant blame Arizona for dealing with reality and making a contract that reflects the market... all I can do is shake my head that this sort of player gets a guarantee of 24 mill over the next 6 years when he has barely shown he might be able to be a top 6 player on a playoff team

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
To much money for a guy that's never scored 20 goals or 40 points.

2 time 30 goal scorer Nazem Kadri only makes 4.5 and he had at least hit 20 goals and 50 points at least once before getting that money

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
The cap will go up within the next five seasons (before Dvorak's big salary years kick in). Dvorak should (although sometimes it doesn't work out) get better. Even if Dvorak does not get better, he'll be a tradeable player five years from now for the Coyotes once they've farmed all his cheap RFA years.

They aren't farming his cheap RFA years. They are paying him like a UFA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->