Post-Game Talk: Are you saying Blues or Boourns? Jets win 5-1!

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I get that Euro attitude to the AHL. That is the biggest reason to not waste his 9 games at the beginning of the season. Those 9 games are the bait to keep him in town with the Moose. That's 3 sets of 3 games scattered throughout the season, with him being a little closer to ready with each set. If he gets good enough at some point they can decide to burn a year of his ELC, or not. Jets option. There is a second cut-off, 30 some games that gets him to UFA a year sooner. They can wait and at least avoid that.

If he insists on going back to Europe the 9 games are still available after his KHL season ends.
I don't think that is enough bait. The World Hockey Championship follows the European league season. I could be wrong but he is either with Jets for the season or the next time we see him will be at camp next season.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Well, he has a point about the penalty stuff.
normally i would agree with you, but the net positive of Blake Wheeler allows one to forgive a penalty that he takes every few games that results in a goal against 1 out of every 5 times.
Blake took around 26 penalties last season. that would mean that he possibly caused 5 goals against over the 82 games he played.
he had 91 points.

Mr Wheeler, I forgive you.

Reactions: Dayofthedogs

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I have a feeling that Tanev is going to smash his career goal totals this season.
I realize the bar was set so low that this is easy but he could end up with more then we ever would have assumed.
Last year 3 - 5 goals was probably the window.
Now it seems like 10 - 15+ is doable.
He's had some great puck luck going back to last year at the end and in the playoffs.

A nice surprise.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't think that is enough bait. The World Hockey Championship follows the European league season. I could be wrong but he is either with Jets for the season or the next time we see him will be at camp next season.

I don't think it is that set in stone. It seems that all Euro players are getting that option in their contracts these days, but they don't all use it. The Moose are a lot better for his development. If he can't see that or chooses to throw it away, so be it. We here are far too worried about him going back to Europe. If we don't see him until next TC so what?

If Jets management is that worried about it they should never have agreed to that stipulation in his contract - and they need to give their heads a shake. It is not a disaster. Not even a minor one.

Reactions: Board Bard

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I was so there :sarcasm:
I really thought he had a nice safe outing
Myers was erratic
Trouba got better as the game went on

I saw him make some nice plays and I saw him struggle.

Myers was a lot worse than just erratic. Tire fire is overused - but he was one.

Trouba was OK. But so was Chiarot if OK is your standard. :laugh:

HaveKnifeWillButcher

Apr 23, 2018
What is this EStL line you keep referring to? Stastny is gone. East St Louis? In a thread where all lines are referenced by the last initials of the 3 players, really no idea. You can't mean Scheifele. There is no t there. But we don't have another player with the initial S.
East St. Louis, Illinois is a place you never want to go.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
It being his first game is not the point. The point is that he isn't NHL ready - and we have good players who are. We no longer need to be developing players at the NHL level. Development should be done at the lower levels.
Lemieux and dano have nothing on ves. by Christmas this will be a dead issue. Not because ves won't be here.

Last edited:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I liked our game. Hellebuyck was the difference over Allen, who was typically weak.

I absolutely loved Adam Lowry's game. Even when his line was under pressure he was making big plays defensively, and that 2nd goal was the game breaker. If he continues to lead like that boy people are going to have a hard time with us. Morrissey-Trouba were solid too.

I hope Lemieux draws in over Vesalainen in Dallas. The kid has talent. But Lemieux is a grinder and over 82 games going to need some grit and sandpaper to win some games.

Reactions: GNP and Flair Hay

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Anyone else notice how bad they butchered the post game coverage? They quoted Laine's pp goals and goal total from his rookie year as opposed to last year. They called Brandon Tanev, Chris Tanev, and then that buffoon said Helly wasn't elite last year and needs to improve to be a top 3/4 goalie even though he came second in Vezina voting last year lmao.

Amateur hour at TSN. :eek:

I caught the helle comment
He was instantly corrected tho

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't think it is that set in stone. It seems that all Euro players are getting that option in their contracts these days, but they don't all use it. The Moose are a lot better for his development. If he can't see that or chooses to throw it away, so be it. We here are far too worried about him going back to Europe. If we don't see him until next TC so what?

If Jets management is that worried about it they should never have agreed to that stipulation in his contract - and they need to give their heads a shake. It is not a disaster. Not even a minor one.
I don't think Jets management is worried at all about the Euro clause. Actually I think they are a bit ahead of the curve allowing European players to develop at home. As I stated earlier they are treating KV like a 19 y/o junior eligible player. They are giving him a few NHL games to see if he can quickly make the transition to the NHL. If not they are fine with him going back to Europe to develop and then they will welcome him back next season for year 1 of his ELC. IMO it is nothing but NA bias that says the AHL is better for developing players than European leagues.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I don't think Jets management is worried at all about the Euro clause. Actually I think they are a bit ahead of the curve allowing European players to develop at home. As I stated earlier they are treating KV like a 19 y/o junior eligible player. They are giving him a few NHL games to see if he can quickly make the transition to the NHL. If not they are fine with him going back to Europe to develop and then they will welcome him back next season for year 1 of his ELC. IMO it is nothing but NA bias that says the AHL is better for developing players than European leagues.
And it's a European bias to think Europe is a better place to develop than the A.
Especially since both teams play in Winnipeg and the coaches can have more say in development.
European teams are trying to win and their # 1 priority is not development. The A they don't have the same pressure as everyone would be fine with Moose losing if the Jets win. Which means you can try a guy like Ves on pk if that's what the Jets want even if it causes short term pain.

Last edited:

ello

Jun 12, 2018
Better looking? Their stats are almost identical. Both career high of 64 points. Little cracked 30 goals once, ROR has never done that. I think Blues are a paper tiger with questionable goaltending.
Right now I'd swap Little for ROR in a heartbeat. Would you?

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I liked our game. Hellebuyck was the difference over Allen, who was typically weak.

I hope Lemieux draws in over Vesalainen in Dallas. The kid has talent. But Lemieux is a grinder and over 82 games going to need some grit and sandpaper to win some games.

Totally agree with the Voyageur -- Lemieux is faster, way more physical, and is the proper guy to be playing with Roslo and Ehlers --or Dano as well. Vesa has a couple more years of development left, and needs some time to mature.

The only reason that Vesa is playing, has to do with internal Jet's management politics, and trying to keep him in North America, and not go back to Europe. It's not worth it--let him go back and develop --he'll onlt get better.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

Totally agree with the Voyageur -- Lemieux is faster, way more physical, and is the proper guy to be playing with Roslo and Ehlers --or Dano as well. Vesa has a couple more years of development left, and needs some time to mature.

The only reason that Vesa is playing, has to do with internal Jet's management politics, and trying to keep him in North America, and not go back to Europe. It's not worth it--let him go back and develop --he'll onlt get better.
Lemieux is a 4th liner that's the problem. and no he is not faster then ves not by a long long shot, he may throw more hits but ves is already a better player along the boards and has more skill. dano is a pb guy on this team. doubt the jets care about anything other then icing players that they think gives them the best chance to win

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Lemieux is a 4th liner that's the problem. and no he is not faster than Ves, not by a long shot, he may throw more hits but ves is already a better player along the boards and has more skill. dano is a pb guy on this team. doubt the jets care about anything other then icing players that they think gives them the best chance to win

We're always free to agree to disagree, and from what I read Lemieux had the 1st or 2nd fastest time in the speed skating competition in training camp this year. When I watch Vesa --I'm just not impressed. He's not ready yet - not close, and invisible when he's on the ice.

Your right, the Jets ice the players that give them the best chance to win, and you will see Vesa gone in the not to distant future. I think he has potential for a future NHL spot, but it's not right now.

Also--I've never liked Dano -- but have to admit he looked really good in preseason, and they should plug him into that line, and see what he can do--as well as Lemieux.

We'll see how this all shakes out.

Reactions: ffh

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
For sure, Button is a real one for that, he started shaming that dude live. I respect him for standing up for our team like that.
Ya Button has pumped the Jets tires alot over the last couple of seasons , he is a smart hockey guy in my opinion . Can you imagine if the Leafs beat St.Louis on the road 5-1 in their first game , the coverage would be even more unbearable . :help:

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
People need to relax. Everyone's going to get their games in this year. To me Vesalainen looked better in each game he played and Lemieux or Dano were not clearly better.

But bigger picture is we don't k ow what soft promises were made to KV and his agenda to get him signed. Let's let it unfold.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad