Post-Game Talk: Are you saying Blues or Boourns? Jets win 5-1!

Viktor Vaughn

Apr 7, 2018
Anyone else notice how bad they butchered the post game coverage? They quoted Laine's pp goals and goal total from his rookie year as opposed to last year. They called Brandon Tanev, Chris Tanev, and then that buffoon said Helly wasn't elite last year and needs to improve to be a top 3/4 goalie even though he came second in Vezina voting last year lmao.

Amateur hour at TSN. :eek:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm assuming you are serious. The Jets are a very deep team and good players will get less ice time than they might on a weaker team. Players all want to win and are highly trained professionals and all but a few will happily ride out the personal ups and downs in the pursuit of team success. We all saw MP happy with his role on the 4th line last season and is now on the number 2 unit. To start this season Maurice has the luxury of using Ehlers to help develop a young center and a raw talented winger. No one is starting a coup and to think so is actually kind of silly.

Don't you think it would make more sense to have the experienced veteran Perreault "to help develop a young center and a raw talented winger"?

The locker-room rebellion talk is just a tad premature. :sarcasm: But I find plenty of room to question the line combinations.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Anyone else notice how bad they butchered the post game coverage? They quoted Laine's pp goals and goal total from his rookie year as opposed to last year. They called Brandon Tanev, Chris Tanev, and then that buffoon said Helly wasn't elite last year and needs to improve to be a top 3/4 goalie even though he came second in Vezina voting last year lmao.

Amateur hour at TSN. :eek:

Besides TSN3, the rest of the broadcast crew should just stick to laff news. The were obviously looking at headlines from 2 years ago

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Don't you think it would make more sense to have the experienced veteran Perreault "to help develop a young center and a raw talented winger"?

The locker-room rebellion talk is just a tad premature. :sarcasm: But I find plenty of room to question the line combinations.
I think Maurice is trying to develop Rosie and Nic as a duo. A few days back Maurice said something along the lines that Roslovic needs to play at a faster pace and be able to make decisions playing at a fast pace. Ehlers becomes a very good player to play with if you want a young center to play at a faster pace. IMO the Jets have the luxury of playing them against 4th line competition while they experiment. Its just a theory but I think playing Nic and Rosie together and getting them clicking with Ehlers being more of a shooter is the 1st step to then running a Laine-Rosie-Ehlers 2nd line.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Meanwhile on Sportsnet you have Doug Maclean proclaiming Matthews has the best shot in the NHL. Totally brushed off Laine ("doesn't have the same zip").
he was also laughing at them because he said people are thinking they are the golden state warriors but they have yet to win a round. he said it several times and had a good laugh

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
That he looked bad and unfocused in pre-season.

Who doesn’t? Did you see Laine’s and Trouba’s play? They are on the team so they are just focusing on finding their feet and rhythm, it means nothing.

Last edited:

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
What is this EStL line you keep referring to? Stastny is gone. East St Louis? In a thread where all lines are referenced by the last initials of the 3 players, really no idea. You can't mean Scheifele. There is no t there. But we don't have another player with the initial S.

"Was" and "last season" (17-18) are the hints here. Didn't want to use "ESL", which was the thing on 16-17 season and might be in the future.

Just my way to say Ehlers can be part of the best line for this team, as he was last season, instead of playing 4th line with 10 minutes TOI.

But as other roster related discussion should go into the other thread, let's continue there if there is still something to discuss.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think Maurice is trying to develop Rosie and Nic as a duo. A few days back Maurice said something along the lines that Roslovic needs to play at a faster pace and be able to make decisions playing at a fast pace. Ehlers becomes a very good player to play with if you want a young center to play at a faster pace. IMO the Jets have the luxury of playing them against 4th line competition while they experiment. Its just a theory but I think playing Nic and Rosie together and getting them clicking with Ehlers being more of a shooter is the 1st step to then running a Laine-Rosie-Ehlers 2nd line.

As long as they win it isn't too hard to tolerate - but 10 mins for Ehlers is just .... nuts. If your theory is correct then it doesn't make any sense at all to also expect Rosie and Ehlers to break in a 19 YO rookie. At least give them Dano or Lemieux on the other wing.

Swap goalies last night and the score is reversed, or worse. We had some good individual performances among our skaters, KC, Laine, Morrissey, but we were outplayed much of that game. A lot of that was on the PK but not all of it. We were bad in our own end at ES too.

Reactions: Tommigun

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
As long as they win it isn't too hard to tolerate - but 10 mins for Ehlers is just .... nuts. If your theory is correct then it doesn't make any sense at all to also expect Rosie and Ehlers to break in a 19 YO rookie. At least give them Dano or Lemieux on the other wing.

Swap goalies last night and the score is reversed, or worse. We had some good individual performances among our skaters, KC, Laine, Morrissey, but we were outplayed much of that game. A lot of that was on the PK but not all of it. We were bad in our own end at ES too.
I think they are giving KV his 9 game extended "tryout" before he heads back to Europe. And where else would you put him in the lineup?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Ehlers on the 4th line is not optimal but who else will go there?

Laine? Nope
Perreault? Nope, b/c then ELL starts up (the horror!)
Perhaps Connor? Highly doubt Maurice breaks up CSW any time soon
Copp/Tanev? would Ehlers and Lowry mesh?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think they are giving KV his 9 game extended "tryout" before he heads back to Europe. And where else would you put him in the lineup?

Why would you give him an extended 9 game tryout? Doesn't make any sense at all that I can see. It isn't something you give a player. It is something you do with the expectation that he is going to win a full time spot. If, at some point in the 9 games it becomes clear that he isn't going to, then you terminate the trial - after whatever number of games it is.

If you must keep him, put Perreault on that line.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Why would you give him an extended 9 game tryout? Doesn't make any sense at all that I can see. It isn't something you give a player. It is something you do with the expectation that he is going to win a full time spot. If, at some point in the 9 games it becomes clear that he isn't going to, then you terminate the trial - after whatever number of games it is.

If you must keep him, put Perreault on that line.
I've posted this a few times but IMO the Jets are treating KV like a 19 y/o top junior eligible player. Someone who they believe will be a top level player but aren't sure if he is ready to make the transition yet. If he isn't ready he will return to Europe, not much different then a junior eligible player returning. I know the Moose is an option, I just don't think European kids see the AHL as a place they want to be. They haven't grown up with the NA mind set of paying your dues on the farm. If I can accurately reflect what Finnish posters have suggested it is along the lines if you want me for your NHL team I would like to play. If you don't want me to play for your NHL team, there are professional teams at home that want me to play. The competition is better and the pay is far better. There are many players in the KHL that choose to play there over the NHL itself, never mind choosing it over the AHL.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
This line mate discussion is pretty humorous in historical context.

It wasn't that long ago we were discussing Jim Slater, Antii Miettinen, and James Wright, and where they should go in our lineup.

Good time to be a Jets fan.
I was just about to post that it's nice to be able to have a debate about stars rather than dregs.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Just my personal opinion but I think Scheifele, Connor and Laine (on the power play) make Wheeler look much better than he really is. I just don't see what everyone else does in Wheeler. His 5vs5 numbers aren't that great and he continues to take stupid selfish penalties. The penalty he took last night cost Helly his shutout.
lol alright sure.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I've posted this a few times but IMO the Jets are treating KV like a 19 y/o top junior eligible player. Someone who they believe will be a top level player but aren't sure if he is ready to make the transition yet. If he isn't ready he will return to Europe, not much different then a junior eligible player returning. I know the Moose is an option, I just don't think European kids see the AHL as a place they want to be. They haven't grown up with the NA mind set of paying your dues on the farm. If I can accurately reflect what Finnish posters have suggested it is along the lines if you want me for your NHL team I would like to play. If you don't want me to play for your NHL team, there are professional teams at home that want me to play. The competition is better and the pay is far better. There are many players in the KHL that choose to play there over the NHL itself, never mind choosing it over the AHL.
the funny thing?
my expectations for Vesalainen were low.
thought he had some nice passes yesterday. was pretty responsible defensively. had some good forechecks. overall, on the noticeable scale, with 0 being "didn't notice" aka neutral and -5 being "that's Peluso out there" and 5 being Bright Eyes on most nights, i'd give him a 1.
i don't know if/when we'll see scoring this year. if he stays the year and pots 11 goals, i'll be satisfied, i guess. but we have to remember Laine's and Ehlers's all-around games in their rookie season. Laine was scoring, but boy, did he ever look lost. same with Ehlers. Vesalainen, in his limited North American sample size, has looked better all-around than those guys i.e. a more responsible game. now, is that enough in his 2nd year? nope. do i take a slight net positive from a European rookie? yep.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I think it is as much about the team wanting to give him a taste of the NFL to show him exactly what it takes to play so that even if he goes back to Europe he knows what he has to work on and may tailor his game accordingly. I still don't think he is NHL ready just yet but at 19 that isn't a big deal.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
one thing I like a lot about this game, compared to previous seasons: it was a one-goal game for a long long time, and:
- no defenseman played more than 23 minutes
- Scheifele played 18:07 and all other forwards played less than 18 minutes

Last year, one-goal game, divisional rival, and some other special importance (season opener this time, could have been the game after a loss last season), all that would have meant Scheifele and Wheeler play a guaranteed at the very least 22:30, probably every second PK shift, and we'd probably have had 2 or 3 defensemen play north of 24, maybe north of 26. Maybe the success made PauMau gain some "coolness". You don't always need your biggest guns out there just because the score is close and you think the game's important.

for illustration: last season, game 8 (1-2 OTL @ Pittsburgh):

Wheeler 24:40
Scheifele 24:20
Copp 10:38
Matthias 09:02
Hendricks 08:57
Lemieux 08:24
Armia 05:47

my comment at the time: "8th game of the season, and PauMau already rolls his lines like he's one loss away from being fired."

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I get that Euro attitude to the AHL. That is the biggest reason to not waste his 9 games at the beginning of the season. Those 9 games are the bait to keep him in town with the Moose. That's 3 sets of 3 games scattered throughout the season, with him being a little closer to ready with each set. If he gets good enough at some point they can decide to burn a year of his ELC, or not. Jets option. There is a second cut-off, 30 some games that gets him to UFA a year sooner. They can wait and at least avoid that.

If he insists on going back to Europe the 9 games are still available after his KHL season ends.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad