GDT: Are You Ready to Rummmm...er, Draaaaaaft!

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
If Holland had made this pick for us, people would have been relentless against him on here. But cause Stevie did it, he has great big balls! Not saying I agree one way or the other, but I think no one would be giving great kudos to Kenny for making a bold pick like this.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
If Holland had made this pick for us, people would have been relentless against him on here. But cause Stevie did it, he has great big balls! Not saying I agree one way or the other, but I think no one would be giving great kudos to Kenny for making a bold pick like this.

True, but i'm thinking it's the first draft with Yzerman and Holland has had how many years? It's odd to compare the two. A lot of built up frustration towards Holland and a lot of players never panned out. So if in 10 years Yzerman hasn't done anything then sure we can start being frustrated. Let's see the yzerplan.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Kind of makes it easier that we took a good one early :huh:
If we aren't going to acquire a top 4 RH D-man through trade and don't want to throw all our eggs in the Lindstrom basket we're going to need to take shots. If the scouting group wasn't high on Cozens and Zegras as Cs (as I wasn't) then I'm glad they took a player that they thought could fill a need on this team. Mortiz played against men, it's hard to gauge that. The year before Hronek came to the USA he had 4 points in 40 games against men in the Czech league, then went ppg+ for the Saginaw Spirit the following year.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
True, but i'm thinking it's the first draft with Yzerman and Holland has had how many years? It's odd to compare the two. A lot of built up frustration towards Holland and a lot of players never panned out. So if in 10 years Yzerman hasn't done anything then sure we can start being frustrated. Let's see the yzerplan.

My comment wasn't directed at you or any one person in particular, so sorry it it offended you. It was just more a comment based on so many commendations of a pick like this, that I find it a little comical.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
updated full list of drafted players that put up 50+ goals in the CHL the first year they were draft eligible since 2001-02:

Anthony Mantha
Jeff Skinner
John Tavares
Steven Stamkos
Patrick Kane
Sidney Crosby
Joffrey Lupul
Alex DeBrincat
Arthur Kaliyev(assuming he gets drafted)

sometimes the numbers speak for themselves

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I like how Gary Bettman's idea of a BIG NEWS ANNOUNCEMENT we will all want to hear, is that the Sedins are having their numbers retired. That is not a big news announcement for anyone other than maybe a couple of Canucks fans. That is run of the mill, you know it is coming news!

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
updated full list of drafted players that put up 50+ goals in the CHL the first year they were draft eligible since 2001-02:

Anthony Mantha
Jeff Skinner
John Tavares
Steven Stamkos
Patrick Kane
Sidney Crosby
Joffrey Lupul
Alex DeBrincat

This is what makes me not understand how he is falling. I get he has a fair share of question marks, but even if he is the next Mantha, is that really so bad? Mantha is a good NHL player. I definitely wouldn't complain if the Wings take him if he is still available at 35.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I like how Gary Bettman's idea of a BIG NEWS ANNOUNCEMENT we will all want to hear, is that the Sedins are having their numbers retired. That is not a big news announcement for anyone other than maybe a couple of Canucks fans. That is run of the mill, you know it is coming news!

pretty amusing that Gary Bettman of all people was the one to announce a Canucks jersey retirement though :laugh:

Reactions: Oddbob

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
This is what makes me not understand how he is falling. I get he has a fair share of question marks, but even if he is the next Mantha, is that really so bad? Mantha is a good NHL player. I definitely wouldn't complain if the Wings take him if he is still available at 35.

He must have big question marks if no one is touching him yet. If he was Mantha good, he would be gone by now, GMs must not be sold on him for a 1st round pick.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
He must have big question marks if no one is touching him yet. If he was Mantha good, he would be gone by now, GMs must not be sold on him for a 1st round pick.
I mostly made that point because someone earlier said they didn't want to draft him because we don't need another Mantha. Honestly, solely from watching highlights, he seems to have really high end scoring ability, similar to Mantha. Otherwise I'm just stat watching and don't know much about the player. Just surprised to see a player put up points the way he did not get drafted in the 1st round, even with big question marks. Scouts would have to think he is just completely unfixable.

Reactions: Oddbob

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
I've heard Kaliyev has character concerns in terms of effort. Mantha has problems with on-ice effort at times, but off-ice he seems as committed as anyone.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I think Ottawa takes Lavoie at 32. Lavoie at 19 and Thomson at 32 would have been less surprising...but makes no difference I guess.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

Anthony Mantha
Jeff Skinner
John Tavares
Steven Stamkos
Patrick Kane
Sidney Crosby
Joffrey Lupul
Alex DeBrincat

And it's not like Hamilton was a powerhouse this year. He basically was their offense. At some point you have to say forget that he can't skate, is too short, etc when it comes to prospects and their flaws. If they can score like he can, take him and worry about the bs later. Please be at 35.

WingNut

Jun 21, 2016
And it's not like Hamilton was a powerhouse this year. He basically was their offense. At some point you have to say forget that he can't skate, is too short, etc when it comes to prospects and their flaws. If they can score like he can, take him and worry about the bs later. Please be at 35.
Yea Kaliyev is who I want as well at 35. I would rathera C but you cannot pass up Kaliyev at 35 IMO.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I look forward to many years of these baity but what if Holland posts. Not annoying at all.

Reactions: Darkseider

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

Of course, that's human nature

The same behaviour you find amusing in a new partner 20 years later you find unbearable.

KH was it seems always thought of as conservative or risk adverse therefore this pick would be seen as that.

SY is seen more as aggressive or a gambler therefore this pick is seen as just that

WingNut

Jun 21, 2016
#6OA for Trouba doesn't look so bad anymore when you would hope one day he could become Trouba..
I honestly do not care if Stevie reached or "blows" a 1st rd pick as long as he has the later round success he showed in TB getting Kutchrov and Point later in the draft. I do think Seider will be a top 4 D and I will take that and hope he turns into a #1 D.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
It looks to me like Holland took Detroit's notes on the prospects to Edmonton, because he did the exact same thing with the 8th OA.

RedWingzz

Everybody loves Raymond
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I hate how this doesn't get going until 1:00..

Predictions?

I say we take Hoglander. Lavoie will go to Ottawa, Kaliyev to LA, then NJ takes a D (M.Robertson or Korczak) and then we go Hoglander. Outside chance we go Brink.

With 54/60/66 I think we see Yzerman gamble a bit here. I could see a Russian forward (hopefully Dorofeyev is still around, if not maybe Nikolayev), I could see a goalie here maybe Alnefelt/Sogaard) and then another D, Kolyachonok perhaps?

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
We've got three second round picks to grab a center, and I think that gives Stevie pretty good odds. Our defensive squad has got a promising situation in the works, which is something we haven't been able to say in years. I'm wondering now if he grabs Kochetkov, Sogaard, Alnfelt, Jones or Parik around the third round to try to ease Detroit's goaltending concerns.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona

Probably but we've seen enough from Holland these past years to be skeptical. He also reached the point where it didn't matter what he did. I've seen enough of Yzerman to trust the process. More so after reading scouting reports and watching some videos. This kid could be a big deal for us.

Reactions: Syckle78

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->