Are you more likely to cheer or boo for the return of Dion Saturday night?

TankNationTillDeath

Pylon4Sale
Jan 10, 2014
Toronto
For me, I will be cheering. And laughing. But cheering, because he proved me wrong on his character over time.

Playing devil's advocate here. The ONLY thing that'd make me boo him, and the only thing I can't get over is when he decided to stop saluting the crowd, leading to the jersey toss era.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Where will he be tonight?

My answer is the same as last time this thread was started.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I don't think he did anything that deserves booing, someone thinking he wasn't a good player or didn't deserve the contract he got is not a reason to boo him, he gave everything he could for this team and for that he deserves to be cheered.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think the better question is will Phaneuf get a welcome back video? If precedent is a factor he should not since Phil Kessel never got one, however I think his circumstances are a lot different compared to Phaneuf.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He deserves cheers for me. He had to face unnecessary crap here, and deserves some respect for the things he's done here.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Where will he be tonight?

My answer is the same as last time this thread was started.

What was your opinion last thread? If I was there tomorrow I'd give him a round of applause when they show his tribute video, but that's about it. The guy never took a day off on the ice, and was by all accounts a stand up guy in the room and in the community, that's commendable.

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
I think the better question is will Phaneuf get a welcome back video? If precedent is a factor he should not since Phil Kessel never got one, however I think his circumstances are a lot different compared to Phaneuf.

He is getting one.

Phaneuf has always worked hard and did his best whenever called upon. I never fault the players for not doing well on-ice. I place the blame on management and coaching for putting him in a place to fail.

But at the end of the day, he was here for a lot of losing years and to me that left a bad taste in the mouth. So my reaction will just be meh.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Laich was an overpaid scrub towards the end of his time with the Caps, they still cheered for him when they showed his video, I'd be surprised if Leafs fans didn't do the same for Phaneuf, but there are a lot of idiots, so who knows.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Why should we care about some random Ottawa Senator aging defenceman on the decline?

In all seriousness, Dion was a warrior for us. Just overpaid a bit, and old.

He just isn't much of a factor either way. The way he plays accelerated his decline. And the way he was utilised, particularly by Carlyle, made him really ineffective.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
There should be a third option of neither for complete indifference.

I was hardly a Phaneuf fan, but there isn't really a reason to boo him. The trade to bring him here was a steal, so it's not like his acquisition set the franchise back. He was pretty much the only choice for captain, which wasn't his fault for accepting. He was thrust into a #1 role, when he really isn't one, which again isn't his fault. On top of that, he represented the team with class and respect. He came across as serious, but he certainly wasn't an a-hole nor acted like an immature goof.

WildWolfdog

Dec 4, 2008
Ah crap, I accidentally voted "boo him" - take that out of whatever the results are - I would definitely cheer for him!

Darkside Blue

There/They're/Their
Feb 17, 2014
Kinda hoping Nylander blows by him for a goal like JvR did with Luke Schenn a few years back. Bonus points if Dion goes for a monster open ice hit and flattens Karlssen instead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad