Post-Game Talk: ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! JETS SWEEP OILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I give you credit for staying with your opinion but as a Jets fan how does it not piss you off that people are trying to say that the Jets wouldn't have won if there was better officiating .

Because I A) know that's not true, B) I know that the author of this article doesn't believe its just reffing either, and C) I don't really care if people are trying to say that.

Honestly, I don’t think the officiating has as much to do with peoples disinterest as you think. Calls or not, McDavid still looked pretty electric to me, it wasn’t the reason they lost. Having the stars of the game play on well constructed, competitive teams is far more important than ensuring every possible infraction gets called. While NHL officiating sucks, it’s not the biggest problem the NHL has with its entertainment value.

It may not be the biggest problem but it is A problem, for sure.

Even if McDavid is naturally going to be able to draw more penalties (which is being proposed here without evidence, but seems like a reasonable surmise, so I’ll assume this to be true), there will be other players who are great at drawing penalties too (Scheifele, Ehlers, PLD, etc.). How many penalties did they draw? How many were missed on them? I have no idea, no one laser-focused on all the obstructions against them.

Writing the article this slanted does a disservice to the actual root of the problem — that the NHL has a different rulebook in the playoffs. He acknowledges that the Oilers had missed penalties too, but then goes on to whine about McDavid.

For drawing power — it would be interesting to know how much a dramatic overhaul of how the game is called in the playoffs would help with viewership. Is the casual fan going to care that much? An unfair comparison, maybe; an anecdote, most definitely; but I am a casual NBA fan and I’ll watch the playoffs but I’ve never been drawn to any player matchups.

Is McDavid scoring a few dozen more PP points going to help with ratings? Maybe in Edmonton if the team goes on a run. As far Edmonton succeeding more if he scores more, sure, perhaps that happens and it leads to the Matthews vs. McDavid matchup the NHL would oh so dearly want. But is that matchup worth enough that the NHL should radically overhaul how they call the game in the playoffs as to influence the game to help ensure this matchup? I don’t think so. Not only are there people who DO enjoy how playoff hockey is right now, but I’m not sure the Matthews/McDavid matchup would be as big of a deal as you propose it to be. There will always be storylines for the NHL to market.

Also, superstars aren’t even suffering really with how the game is called now. MacKinnon is tearing the league apart right now. Crosby and Ovechkin, the two most marketable names in hockey in the past 15 years, both just recently won the Cup. “Playoff rules” never hampered them, should we readjust because one star can’t bust through (without first attributing this lack of success not to missed calls, but to a team that is so poorly constructed that one player was in on over half their goals this season and whose coach didn’t trust more than six forwards and four defensemen in overtime)?

I will concede the point that it's way more obvious with McDavid because he doesn't have a team of superstars surrounding him. Crosby and Ovechkin had a lot of supporting help. Also, they're just bigger and can handle it better than McDavid can, for sure.

You don’t lose 4 straight games because of the refs. That’s just flat out stupid.

(I realize I'm quoting you twice) I don't think myself or Dom ever made that argument.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Of the canonical 30 examples--because Doerrie used to work for an NHL team so you know she can call penalties off a TV with perfect accuracy--here are the two that were gif'd and keep getting cited:

One in which McNHLAwards hold Appleton immediately before getting held in-turn by Appleton. Two penalties.

The other in which he pulls his parachute because he wants to avoid a clean open-ice hit and puts himself in a more dangerous position. Not a penalty at all.

He writes, specifically, in the article that he was pointedly only paying attention to one team:

"I’m sure there were calls on Edmonton I missed, maybe even obvious ones (the referees even managed to “miss” a puck over the glass call), but over the next 40-plus minutes of hockey there were at least five missed calls on the Jets."​

That is more than enough to indicate to me that this is a sound thesis (officiating shouldn't change with the weather) but a bad faith argument. He goes on to completely ignore the fact that Ehlers and Scheifele are also elite at drawing penalties, embeds a tweet showing one of the only two cited examples (of the supposed 30), which isn't a penalty at all, and then goes on Twitter and pretends the Jets defence had the same holes all series as they did in the regular season.

I don't know if Luszczyszyn accomplished what he was trying to--his seemingly-annual article about how it's dumb to change to rules mid-season--but what he definitely did accomplish was to slander the Jets and spread misinformation about how they beat the sad-sack Oilers in four straight.

That Demelo knee was absolutley a penalty and was dangerous. I was shocked it wasn't called.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I’ll reserve handing out the accolades to Maurice and the coaching staff until they do the same to the Leafs.

Knock out Toronto and I will buy a Jets jersey for the sole purpose of putting Maurice’s name on the back of it. And will gladly enjoy all the crow I can eat.
So you think us going from likely being swept in the first round and having no shot against the Oilers to sweeping them and playing an excellent team game doesn't deserve accolades to the Jets coaching staff?

People love to move the needle. With the defense we've run all year, the fact that we are undefeated in the playoffs and are on our way to the second round, AND went a large chunk of the regular season not losing 2 in a row in regulation, this coaching staff absolutely deserves accolades.

People don't like the decisions the coaches make so they are somehow terrible. Prevailing thought in the Oilers thread is that Tipett got owned by Maurice. Of course, that's part Oilers coach hate (all teams fan bases hate their coach), but Maurice managed to get the team playing the right way, at the right time, and seemed to be able to limit the Oilers game significantly. Checked a lot of boxes in the good coach checklist for me.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
sweep
[swēp]
VERB
  1. clean (an area) by brushing away dirt or litter.
    "I've swept the floor" ·
    brush · clean · scrub · wipe · mop · dust · scour · scrape · rake · buff · vacuum · hoover · do
  • search (an area) for something.
    "the detective swept the room for hair and fingerprints"
    synonyms:
    search · probe · check · explore · hunt through · look through · delve in ·
    clean · wipe · dust · mop
  • to kick the shit out of Coilers here and there
  • losers · whiners · deniers · kicked · screwed · babies · golfing
  • along, typically curved stretch of road, river, country, etc..

:laugh:

We have all used the Oxford English Dictionary (OED), Welcome to the John Agar Dictionary (JAD)

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I've watched it 50 times and can't see a scenario wherein there's any risk of knee-on-knee contact if he just takes the hit as it's lined up.
LOL so players are just supposed to allow themselves to be hit?

Just because it's unintentional, doesn't mean it's not a kneeing penalty, similar to tripping, or high sticking. Demelo definitely extends his leg.

It's not dirty, or suspendable, but it is definitely a penalty.

EDIT: So I re-read the official definition of kneeing, and you are right EL, that wasn't kneeing.

Last edited:

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
LOL so players are just supposed to allow themselves to be hit?

Just because it's unintentional, doesn't mean it's not a kneeing penalty, similar to tripping, or high sticking. Demelo definitely extends his leg.

It's not dirty, or suspendable, but it is definitely a penalty.

Yes, players should take a hit when the only other option is to put yourself at risk of injury.

Kneeing isn't when you extend your leg during upper body contact.

demok2

Sep 7, 2016
Demelo barely moves from that red box on ice. He further lowers his shoulder to make contact and then Mcdavid shifts his weight to avoid the hit. If primary contact intent was to be the knee Demelo would have gone after the right knee and not the trailing leg.

Reactions: Evil Little

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Demelo barely moves from that red box on ice. He further lowers his shoulder to make contact and then Mcdavid shifts his weight to avoid the hit. If primary contact intent was to be the knee Demelo would have gone after the right knee and not the trailing leg.
Yeah, after watching the hit 20 more times and re-reading the official description of kneeing, it wasn't. Good non call.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
I feel like people aren't talking enough about just how pretty this goal was:

I lost my mind when Scheifele scored that. He's always been my favorite jet. Also that line all getting a point on that play made me a bunch of money because I bet they would all get more points than Mcdavid before the series started.

Of interest: I found odds of 38-1 for Hellebuyck winning the Conn Smythe. Makes it happen Connor. Daddy wants a new boat.

Reactions: thereturn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad