Prospect Info: Are you happy with the Nylander pick?

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Shaun_Cassidy_LP.jpg

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Canucks fan here, you guys got a steal in Nylander.

The Canucks management are idiots for picking Virtanen over this guy and I hope you won't rub it in too hard when he's playing on your top line lighting up the East.

I was expecting Van to take Nylander at 6.

I figured they'd be taking Virtanen at 6 if Nylander was gone already.

fwiw, I really did fall in love with Virtanen the more I looked into him, he was one of only 4 player I had in my "wanted list" at 8.

Virt could easily become the best pure goal scorer out of the draft, while adding a power forward dimension and speed galore...

I'm optmistic you'll be singin his praises in a year or two from now.

Expecting a monster season in the dub...

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I was expecting Van to take Nylander at 6.

I figured they'd be taking Virtanen at 6 if Nylander was gone already.

fwiw, I really did fall in love with Virtanen the more I looked into him, he was one of only 4 player I had in my "wanted list" at 8.

Virt could easily become the best pure goal scorer out of the draft, while adding a power forward dimension and speed galore...

I'm optmistic you'll be singin his praises in a year or two from now.

Expecting a monster season in the dub...

I thought the same thing. Really liked Virtanen.

I'm happy with the way it worked out though.

SarcazemKadri

Feb 15, 2012
Toronto
And so it begins,,, Scott Burnsides ESPN capsules of 1st round picks not one comes close to mentioning as many negatives Ritches for example is effusive in praise.
8. Toronto Maple Leafs - C William Nylander

Exceptionally skilled - the most dynamic offensive talent in the draft. But son of longtime NHLer Michael Nylander has been coddled for years. Sometimes selfish, always a diva, and will give coaches gray hair. Has phenomenal hands and a world of skill; handles the puck as though it were glued to his blade, making ridiculous moves at top speed without a bobble. Glides effortlessly and is exceptionally elusive in tight quarters. While he's a brilliant stickhandler, always looks for the flashiest "Wow!" play instead of the simple, correct one. Superb on the PP where he owns the puck and sets up every play. Seemingly has more time to process the game than anyone else. Can slow play down, control the pace, then explode. Tremendous finishing ability. Terrific playmaker with every pass in the book, plus a few extras. Often seems intent only on showing everyone how skilled he is.

Grey hairs eh. On the brightside.. our coach is already bald :sarcasm:

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Kadri 2.0

I like the pick a lot more than I did NK. Nobody ever said Kadri had the best moves in the draft which is something that various have said about King Joffrey. I actually thing he is more of a boom or bust than Kadri was, but the best case scenario is better. Second year in the SweHL will tell a lot more. Its one thing to shred it against 17 year olds, and another to do it in the elite league.

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
The fact that he can skate and shoot, together with all the rest makes him quite promising. It also makes him more promising than his dad who actually was a really great player. Both son and dad are softer than melted butter but William looks like he is training hard which is great. His dad also seems to be a hard worker with a good working attitude which is a good indicator. Williams dad is also a very humble guy which makes me think William is quite level headed too. Both suffered from hogging the puck but both are also great at creating chances doing just that. Will be interesting to see how things turn out for Nylander in Toronto, at least its not Edmonton (where young swedish talents goes to have their careers destroyed).

leafs nation27*

Yes , last time we drafted skill we got nazem kadri and morgan rielly , there for leafs should draft skilled players because they have all turned out to be pretty good so far

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I'm just happy we drafted in the first round period! Which, though more common lately, is something a Leafs fan seldom experiences.

I also have to admit, the way Nylander looks reminds me of Sundin. The hair and just looking like he's 14 on draft day. And knowing that his dad went the balding way, you know haha! It'll hopefully be weird to look back when he's been here 10 years from now and hopefully is filled out and looks like a man and a 1C for us.

The best part is he's a Swede in looks and playing style, but born in Canada and apparently played quite a bit of hockey in the Canadian system too.

It's just gonna be hilarious hearing Cherry and others trying to put him down because he's not Canadian, and yet he was born here.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Kadri 2.0
Even if he is(which is too early to tell), you don't think having a 50 point player at least is a good thing? It's unfortunate that you're already trying to slam the pick before the kid even laced up his skates for the Leafs

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Even if he is(which is too early to tell), you don't think having a 50 point player at least is a good thing? It's unfortunate that you're already trying to slam the pick before the kid even laced up his skates for the Leafs

Some fans are so used to nothing going right for the Leafs that they just decide to be overly pessimistic about everything so that when they experience the disappointment, they can look back and say 'see I told you so' and have a false sense of superior intelligence over everyone else :laugh:

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I'm extremely happy about this pick. They needed top talent and took a swing for the fences. I think he'll be the surprise of training camp; his skating will get him out of trouble like Rielly.

Last edited:

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Probably the most exciting/talented/high-upside forward we've drafted since we picked Damphousse 6th overall in 1986. Definitely the Leafs forward prospect I've been most excited about since I followed the Leafs strongly enough to care about prospects (late 90s).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad