Prospect Info: Are you happy with the Nylander pick?

WinB4IDIE

Oct 22, 2007
Ontario
Happy with the pick, with the guys that were left at number 8 I would have been just as happy with Brendan Perlini but its a solid pick.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Only one I can think of at work was Landedkog who played in Kitchener for his draft year. But there has been pthers

It's not a very sound argument when you can't think of more than one example off the top of your head to support your point while the other guy gave you a list that countered your argument. A thesis is based off observation and research. I think you're doing it backwards here. You've decided what your opinion is and you're looking for examples to support it.

ClarksonsWife

Mar 22, 2014
Future scrub. Should have drafted a Canadian these euros don't play with that fire you need to win in this league.

Covenant

Jun 4, 2006
Great pick. I'm sure Don Cherry is pissed today, Nylander over Ritchie and no Canadian selected in the draft by the Leafs. Don't know how he's going to explain this happening under Shanahan's watch.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I don't buy into this primodonna talk at all. I like the way he carries himself, full of confidence but not arrogance. Also speaks to his character that he's open to playing anywhere next season, I think the kid has a good head on his shoulders and hope to watch him in NA next year.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Canucks fan here, you guys got a steal in Nylander.

The Canucks management are idiots for picking Virtanen over this guy and I hope you won't rub it in too hard when he's playing on your top line lighting up the East.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Even if he busts, I'm happy with the pick because it shows that the team is trying to rid itself of its old habits. All we gotta do now is retain draft picks instead of giving them out like candy and swing for more fences. You can get the safe guys other ways and the margin associated with getting them through free agency would be immaterial as you have your top guys who should be making the big bucks on their ELCs or bridge deals.

Tyler Biggs*

Was hoping for Ritchie. Have seen him play. Big, skilled, good skating Canadian with a nasty streak. Ritchie is 6' 3" and 225 lbs and the Leafs are lacking in size and toughness.

That said, I'm not mad.

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
Leaving out generational talent guys like Ovechkin, Mackinnon and Malkin - who with their skill set would have been drafted if they were 3 legged midgets- aside from JVR and Horton, how many of the games top power forwards were top 10 draft picks?

Just off the top of my head, I found M Richards (24th), J Benn (129th), Lucic (50th), Paccioretty (22nd), Kessler (23rd), Perry (28th), Stewart (12th), Getzlaf (19th), Backes (62nd), Clowe (175), Neal (33rd)

The top of the draft is for high end skill and high calibre D-men. Power Forwards are long to develop and more risky. Drafting skill in Nylander vs a guy like Ritchie is in fact a much safer bet.

Tyler Biggs*

Thrilled. He was my first pick at where we were at.

At the end of the day, we needed high end skill and we got it. Any guy who draws comparisons to Patrick Kane is more than welcome.

:nod:

If Nylander turns into Patrick Kane 2.0 I'd be happy.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Nonis said they had Nylander and another player as their top picks on their list and if both would have been taken they would have traded down (meaning nether Richie or Ehlers was high on their list).
Was that other player DalColle? The two Sams, Ekblad and the German was probably players they did not expect to fall.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
Nonis said they had Nylander and another player as their top picks on their list and if both would have been taken they would have traded down (meaning nether Richie or Ehlers was high on their list).
Was that other player DalColle? The two Sams, Ekblad and the German was probably players they did not expect to fall.

It was Ehlers.

They were prepared to trade down if both Nylander AND Ehlers were selected prior to 8th overall.

But luckily for the Leafs, they had a choice between the two players they wanted to select at their pick.

Essentially meaning they weren't sold on either Ritchie or Virtanen.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
It was Ehlers.

They were prepared to trade down if both Nylander AND Ehlers were selected prior to 8th overall.

But luckily for the Leafs, they had a choice between the two players they wanted to select at their pick.

Ah ok. Thanks. I just think I heard Nonis say something about the other had been picked but that Nylander was still there. So I thought that would be DalColle, the one most likely to fall from the top 5.

Edit: Listened to the interview again and Nonis say they had 2 guys on the list and hoped one of them would be there and when Nylander was there "the guy we was waiting for" he made the pick. So it was not as I said that one of them was gone.

Last edited:

DutchLeafsfan

Jun 3, 2002
Rotterdam, NL
www.gamer.nl
Skimmed the article earlier, but my guess would be that they expected the top 5 to go in the top 5, and the trade scenario was for the case where Vancouver and Carolina would have picked Nylander and Ehlers, leaving Ritchie, Fleury and Virtanen.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Hell yes. If nothing else it shows a change in philosophy. Riskier, more skilled players over, non-skilled, guaranteed NHLer types.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013

MDC was pretty much the consensus #5 pick. Based on the fact that we picked Nylander I would assume the other is Ehlers because hes another small, highly skilled player

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The thing that I'm happy with most about the Nylander pick is it demonstrates the Leafs are really looking at things differently.

For years, the Leafs load up on those big junior bodies while sacrificing high end potential. In Shanahan's own draft year, the Leafs had an internal debate about whether or not to take Joe Sakic or Luke Richardson. Over the past 20 years they've loaded up on guys like Rob Pearson, Scott Thornton, Scott Pearson, Jeff Ware, Landon Wilson, Luke Schenn, Tyler Biggs and it's nice to see them swing for the fences on hockey skill.

It's as if the Leafs have been trying to replicate the Wendel Clark pick for almost 30 years.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad