Prospect Info: Are you happy with the Nylander pick?

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Simple question. What are your thoughts on the leafs selecting William Nylander? Are you disappointed in the pick? If so, why?

Are you happy with the selection?

Or still undecided?

Ace88*

Sure am. Pay no mind to the folks who say no--we got the bpa or next bpa. No-brainer pick (though Ehlers wouldve been as well)

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Thrilled. He was my first pick at where we were at.

At the end of the day, we needed high end skill and we got it. Any guy who draws comparisons to Patrick Kane is more than welcome.

trickster

Maple Leaf Lane Forever
Mar 6, 2002
Leaf Nation
My top 4 were:
Bennet
Ekblad
Reinhart
Nylander

So I am thrilled. I did a huge power fist pump jump when I heard them say Modo - so I'm pretty excited.

So glad it wasn't Ritchie.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Could not have hopped for a better pick. Was high on Bennett as well but since we did not make a trade up Nylander was who I hoped we would get. I was even hoping we would trade for Islanders pick and get him 5th overall.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
He has been near the top of my list for a while.

Glad they took skill and swung for the fences instead of the low ceiling safe picks of the past.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
I personally did a fist pump and yelled pretty loud when I heard Nonis say "from Modo...."

I was also extremely shocked considering I was waiting to hear "from the peterborough petes of the OHL..."

Last edited:

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
I personally did a fist pump and yelled pretty loud when I heard Nonis say "from Modo...."

I was also extremely shocked considering I was waiting to hear "from the peterborough petes of the WHL..."

Except the Petes are in the OHL. :)

Mar 26, 2010
Lets just hope he is the next swedish Sundin for us. If any fans deserve a good break its Leaf's fans. We can only hope.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Ecstatic.

He was ranked number 5th on my list only after Ekblad, Bennet, Reinhart and Draisatl. I had him ranked higher than Dal Colle and I'm glad they took him.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Yea. I was hoping if we were going in the 8th overall pick it would be Nylander, Ehlers or Fiala. I wanted to move up bad for Draisaitl or Bennett honestly and thought we would (damn you rare and you beat me on your gut feeling) Turned out to be Nylander with the pick and welcomed him. I haven't followed him as much as I've wanted to as I did in the past for previous drafts but from what it stuck out to me he sees the eyes on a another level.

Also for those wondering why there were so many teams for him last season it was sort of a weird moving around thing. When he finally settled in towards the end of the season with Modo (I could be wrong here, it could be Sodertalje) he played top line minutes and flourished.

The so called attitude problem which people are probably asking about...is from the fact yes he does tend to hold on to the puck a lot more than sometimes he should but he can pass and shout. NOT ACTUALLY an attitude issue just needs to let the play move forward instead of trying to make the play, essentially not simplifying it enough. I hope as he matures he'll be better at it. Cool thing is he can be playing in the AHL if he he wants because he was technically playing in a pro league in SHL(previously known as the SEL)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad