Are you happy with the job Kyle Dubas has done since taking over as GM?

Are you happy with the job Kyle Dubas has done as GM thus far?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Pretty easy to solve that Marleau 3 millon liability, don't sign Tavares or sign Mitch to a contract comparable to Marchand or sign Matthews to a contract similar to Pasta or trade an expiring contract that you are not going to keep for a 1st rounder or you can do what our less mature posters do, blame everyone else for your (Dubas) problems. If Dubas didn't want to run this team as constructed, he can change it or he can decline the GM role. You (not you hotpaws) can only blame this fabricated boogie man Lou for so long before you just sound like a whiney little bitch that is out of your depth. Winners win, losers make excuses.... IMO it sounds like the excuse making factory is in full gear making a TONNE of excuses ...

Career years prior to signing their contracts:

Matthews 68GP 37G 36A 73Pts
Marchand 77GP 37G 24A 61Pts

One was a C, the other a winger. Oh ya and one signed 4 years ago...

Reactions: stopclickbait

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The part I don’t comprehend, there is also absolutely no recognition of a home town discount, like that’s absurd, despite other teams pulling it off. With the up front bonus ability we have, we are quite simply the TOP team capable of getting their players signed for team friendly deals and yet we over paid to boot. But, the cult can’t even acknowledge this objective reality. Imagine 2-3 mil less, it’s a fair observation for the non partisans.
home town discount ? i would have gladly settled for Dubas not raising the bar on every contract , lol

the funniest part is Rants/Point among others were waiting for Marner to re set the bar again and even when he did their respective GM's just shrugged it off and told there agents that just because Dubas is a weak bitch doesn't mean everyone else is and to lower there demands which they did

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Wait... You want both Hyman and Muzzin out the door too? Is your goal to actually build the softest team in existence so that they can get their teeth kicked in even more than they do now?

Good news:

Sports Minister MacLeod says OHL’s return won’t happen with bodychecking, other physical contact.

If the goverment follows suit with the NHL, we got a real good chance of winning the Shinny Cup next year.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Lets break this down for you Mr. Economics.

Pastrnak was used as an example of fair market value for Nylander. After 1 season of 1st line production Pastrnak signed 6 years at 8.9% of the cap, after 2 seasons of 1st line production, albeit lower than Pastrnak, Nylander signed 6 years at 8.76%. Very comparable players and Nylander signed @ slightly less % of the cap. Both have since out performed their contract, Pastrnak by a larger margin.

Patrice Bergeron signed in 2013 (7 years ago) 8 years @ 10.69%. He was still a two-way beast at the time, but his offensive production was lower end 1st line and wasnt considered a top 10 C like he is today. Fortunately for Boston, Bergeron aged like fine wine. Tavares signed 7 years @ 13.8% of the cap as a UFA scoring over P/GP in 3 of his last 5 seasons and regarded as an elite 1C. Unfortunately offensive production is more valuable than two-way play in contract negotiations.

Brad Marchand signed in 2016 coming off his career year of 61 points (0.65 P/GP). The years leading up to his contract negotiations he was largely a 40-50 point 2nd line pest. He has since blew up and became one of the best offensive threats in the game, but even the biggest Bruins homer could not have predicted his massive leap in development at 28 years old.

Im not going to go over the Matthews deal because its hard to argue the negatives other than term. Marners I wont advocate for because I personally would have taken the 4 1sts, I do not like his at all and he shouldve been in the ~9.5 mill range.

As for those Bruins contracts that should have been an "example" well they look good because of a combination of a consistently raising cap (until this year) and players that improved performance AFTER signing their contract.

The lower roster guys have fine contracts so I dont understand what you are up in arms about.

You really think Lou would listen to Dubas advocating for anything? Lou is as stubborn as they come.

Why are you comparing Pasta to Willie, Pasta scored 46 goals last year, Matty scored 47, probably a more fair comparison wouldn't you say? Oh no lets compare a 46 goal score to a 31 goal scorer... awesome... guessing you don't understand the concept of comparing comparable players? Really after that your post is jsut a lot of weak excuses.. and by weak I mean whiney weak...

Oh and Lou is a King now, I guess all those AGM's Scouts and Presidents of MLSE are just figure heads with ZERO input... Yep Lou's first conversation with everyone of them, Shaddddup.. I'm BIG Lou... I'm king... your an idiot... don't talk to me... wow since I put it that way he really is the boogie man... mean Lou... bad Lou!

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Why are you comparing Pasta to Willie, Pasta scored 46 goals last year, Matty scored 47, probably a more fair comparison wouldn't you say? Oh no lets compare a 46 goal score to a 31 goal scorer... awesome... guessing you don't understand the concept of comparing comparable players? Really after that your post is jsut a lot of weak excuses.. and by weak I mean whiney weak...

Oh and Lou is a King now, I guess all those AGM's Scouts and Presidents of MLSE are just figure heads with ZERO input... Yep Lou's first conversation with everyone of them, Shaddddup.. I'm BIG Lou... I'm king... your an idiot... don't talk to me... wow since I put it that way he really is the boogie man... mean Lou... bad Lou!

Why are you comparing a player half way through his deal? Pastrnak improved since signing, that doesnt mean you use his deal as a comparable to the player he is now...

This is economics 101 and you are the one brining up economics

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Perhaps someone could tell us again how the 3-year Marleau contract has set the team back for a decade.

Has someone said that?

A little bit overboard don't you think?

Certainly, it was a bad contract, but the impact was one lost 1st. round pick.

I hope no one is suggesting losing one (1) first round pick is setting the team back a decade either.

At least this board is balanced, extremes on both sides of the ledger.

Reactions: Menzinger

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Why are you comparing a player half way through his deal? Pastrnak improved since signing, that doesnt mean you use his deal as a comparable to the player he is now...

This is economics 101 and you are the one brining up economics

Every player has improved and your point is ...? No point..gotchya...

Goal scorers are compared to goal scorers... set up guys are compared to set up guys.. pretty simple concept TBH

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Every player has improved and your point is ...? No point..gotchya...

Goal scorers are compared to goal scorers... set up guys are compared to set up guys.. pretty simple concept TBH

If you got a mortgage to buy a house today, the price paid for that house is fixed despite the asset increasing in value. No one would sell their house for the dollar amount they are currently paying for it because now it is worth nearly double on the market.

Similar to a hockey player, Pastrnak is being paid 6 whatever but is a 10+ mill player if he signed today.

That is why players reference similarities at the time the contract was signed and not what they have done since.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Has someone said that?

A little bit overboard don't you think?

Certainly, it was a bad contract, but the impact was one lost 1st. round pick.

I hope no one is suggesting losing one (1) first round pick is setting the team back a decade either.

At least this board is balanced, extremes on both sides of the ledger.

Yes to your questions, and agreement to your statements

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
If you got a mortgage to buy a house today, the price paid for that house is fixed despite the asset increasing in value. No one would sell their house for the dollar amount they are currently paying for it because now it is worth nearly double on the market.

Similar to a hockey player, Pastrnak is being paid 6 whatever but is a 10+ mill player if he signed today.

That is why players reference similarities at the time the contract was signed and not what they have done since.

So the value of a 46 goal scorer has gone up 4 million (40%) in the 2 years since Pasta signed his contract?

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
And this bs stating Boston signed these guys 5+ years ago....and you're point being? The cap wasn't expected to rise until just a few years ago..not to mention it can go down at anytime, this years testimony hence why were basically facked

The cap has risen every year except one in the 15 years since its inception. This is the second time it hasnt.

It is also not BS to state Boston signed these guys 5+ years ago... The point? The cap has risen 20.5mill since Bergeron signed, 10 mill since Marchand signed and 7.5 mill since Pastrnak signed. Thats without even mentioning they have all improved since signing.

I also find it funny that you are calling out Kb as a troll account... He has been here for a while you have 64 posts in 2 weeks and your username is RebuildYear5

Last edited by a moderator:

RebuildYear5

Sep 24, 2020
The cap has risen every year except one in the 15 years since its inception. This is the second time it hasnt.

It is also not BS to state Boston signed these guys 5+ years ago... The point? The cap has risen 20.5mill since Bergeron signed, 10 mill since Marchand signed and 7.5 mill since Pastrnak signed. Thats without even mentioning they have all improved since signing.

So if they improved after signing shouldn't that be enough to justify we over paid by the estimated amount you mentioned 20.5M.

Also name every player that reached a max deal in there second contact?
Funny thing is our guys were still RFA's not UFA we held the ball....and Kyle dropped it on his foot

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

It is also not BS to state Boston signed these guys 5+ years ago... The point? The cap has risen 20.5mill since Bergeron signed, 10 mill since Marchand signed and 7.5 mill since Pastrn
40G as a rookie
45G pace in his 2nd season
45G pace in his 3rd season
47G (55G pace) in his 4th season

ak signed. Thats without even mentioning they have all improved since signing.

I also find it funny that you are calling out Kb as a troll account... He has been here for a while you have 64 posts in 2 weeks and your username is RebuildYear5

Pace means nothing at one point last year Pasta was on pace to score 50 G in 50 games, fact is you are grasping at straws to defend a GM that has demonstrated he has no grasp on what it means to be cap responsible.

Because of his fascial mismanagement, we lost specifically lost Kadri, Barrie and Kapanen and a 1st rounder, that is the cost of having Dubas as our GM... a team that just bleeds talent because we cant afford to sign them.

Last edited:

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
How do you know that
Reading up on them, they seem to be good young players moreso than previous leaf draft picks.

Amirov and the two Finns were slated to go in the first round by some lists.

The goalie stats in the MHL and his comparison to other NHL goalies look pretty close.

The RHD prospect is an NHLer if he can fix his skating and we have Underhill for that.

I don't know if they will all make it, but I like the picks.

Reactions: Menzinger

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
So if they improved after signing shouldn't that be enough to justify we over paid by the estimated amount you mentioned 20.5M.

Also name every player that reached a max deal in there second contact?
Funny thing is our guys were still RFA's not UFA we held the ball....and Kyle dropped it on his foot

More like took one in the bean...

giphy.gif

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Reading up on them, they seem to be good young players moreso than previous leaf draft picks.

Amirov and the two Finns were slated to go in the first round by some lists.

The goalie stats in the MHL and his comparison to other NHL goalies look pretty close.

The RHD prospect is an NHLer if he can fix his skating and we have Underhill for that.

I don't know if they will all make it, but I like the picks.

When each one was picked the announcers said.. Ohhh.. that is an underrated player... it concerns me that Kyle was shopping in the underrated isle while other GM were shopping in the appropriately rated isle. Hey who knows only one has to turn out to be a good player for this years draft to be called a success

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Compairing production outputs after contracts have signed is useless when evaluating contract negotiations. Pasta cemented his offensive breakout after his contract had been signed. Nylander had more total points, a higher ppg, and 2 seasons of 1st line production to Pastas 1; its not terribly complicated why he, or especially a guy like Matthews (who had a 40 goal season while being a centre and a rookie) got more money. Boston was extremely lucky to sign thag contract when they did, if they did so a year later they'd ve paying the guy 10+ million very easily.

You mention Boston earlier but also ignore the fact that their main guys like Bergeron and Marchaund not only signed their contracts years ago, but also didnt have comparable production at similar ages to guys like Matthews or Marner.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad