Are you happy that Phil Kessel is gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
It sucked for a leaf fan.

premium asset for mediocre asset.

Ya the current management has you thinking thats good. You should start thinking for yourself.

No the previous management who refused to trade him at the end of his deal and make him 8 million dollars-8 years failed you. I said move him then. If you go back and read previous posts, many of us said we aren't getting the return for Kessel anymore. People had us getting Jones and Barkov and blah blah blah. He wasn't getting a massive return. Not even Glen Sather could have bullied him into Seth Jones or whatever.
If you don't like the management, you should start thinking about one you'd like better.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
I'll be happier when Bozak, Phaneuf and Lupul are gone too :)

I don't see Phaneuf being moved anytime soon. Lupul I believe has two year a remaining at a lower dollar figure, meaning he will be moved next year or year after.

Bozak is likely moved in the offseason, especially if we find some way to land Stamkos. Money better spent keeping Kadri.

Stamkos - Nylander - Kadri down the middle makes us a very dangerous team to defend going into next year.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Na na na na. Na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye.

:laugh:

pretty darn much.

he should never have been here, we should never have extended him to 8x8 (dumb, stupid mistake) and Im glad that the only remnant of him ever being here is 1.2 million for the next 6 years.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Rookie GM

If you go by on ice performance, he is comparable to P.Kane the last 5 years, on a far inferior team.

And yet there was almost no interest around the league, we stopped him for months and this was the best that was offered. That should tell you something but unfortunately you choose to ignore it.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
And yet there was almost no interest around the league, we stopped him for months and this was the best that was offered. That should tell you something but unfortunately you choose to ignore it.

lets not forget, that's the best we got even offering to hold 2 million dollars off his contract.
Let's think about that nugget. It pretty much boils down to me that as "elite" that people seem to think Kessel - this is how many people were interested

2 teams kicked that tires and told the Leafs holding onto 2 million dollars wasn't enough - call back if we retained more.

1 team thought that the "asking" price was too high.
(let's remember what the Leafs got for a moment. a 1st, a 3rd, and a Prospect- so if people thought this was the Leafs bending over, are you honestly telling me they went "meh what the ef?" or there was a team out there who didn't want to give up a 1st, a 3rd, and a prospect for mr. Elite goal scorer with 2 million retained, Philip J. Kessel?

and then Pittsburgh
who STILL wanted to have the leafs retain 2 million and the Leafs said no, and took the 1.2 and took Kapenen instead.

NO ONE WANTED PHIL.
and i will bet you anything if someone called up Rutherford today and asked for Phi, it's not like they'd be offering the moon for Mr "Elite goal scorer either.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Rookie GM

If you go by on ice performance, he is comparable to P.Kane the last 5 years, on a far inferior team.

Comparable to Kane.....you have lost your mind again!

696 256 281 537
606 224 378 602

So in 90 less games Kane has 65 more points.....so lets give Kane 80 more points in those 96 games and you are looking at 145 more points. That seems the same:amazed:

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Comparable to Kane.....you have lost your mind again!

696 256 281 537
606 224 378 602

So in 90 less games Kane has 65 more points.....so lets give Kane 80 more points in those 96 games and you are looking at 145 more points. That seems the same:amazed:

Duff doesn't do facts,he'd much prefer to throw out labels like "elite" and then ignore how the rest of the league wanted no part of Phil.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm happy hes gone but I hate the trade. We got bent over.

Kapanen is a nice piece, but not worth Kessel alone. We got Harrington who is dime a dozen, he really shouldn't have much value. We got a conditional 1st while throwing in their 2nd back, pretty much the net value of an early 2nd. However, we gave up a retention slot and retained 1.25 million for 7 years. That is what hurts the most. I'd honestly let them keep the conditional pick upgrade and Harrington to take off the retention.

We got "bent over" if you feel like we traded the 2011-12 to 2013-14 version of Kessel who was good for about 37 goals and 80 points a year, but we moved out an $8 million dollar player who has 1 more point than Tyler Bozak this season, who is 28 and who is signed for another 6 years after this. Walking away from that situation is already amazing. Wouldn't be surprised if Pittsburgh ended up buying this guy out and is hit with dead cap well into the late 2020s.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
lets not forget, that's the best we got even offering to hold 2 million dollars off his contract.
Let's think about that nugget. It pretty much boils down to me that as "elite" that people seem to think Kessel - this is how many people were interested

2 teams kicked that tires and told the Leafs holding onto 2 million dollars wasn't enough - call back if we retained more.

1 team thought that the "asking" price was too high.
(let's remember what the Leafs got for a moment. a 1st, a 3rd, and a Prospect- so if people thought this was the Leafs bending over, are you honestly telling me they went "meh what the ef?" or there was a team out there who didn't want to give up a 1st, a 3rd, and a prospect for mr. Elite goal scorer with 2 million retained, Philip J. Kessel?

and then Pittsburgh
who STILL wanted to have the leafs retain 2 million and the Leafs said no, and took the 1.2 and took Kapenen instead.

NO ONE WANTED PHIL.
and i will bet you anything if someone called up Rutherford today and asked for Phi, it's not like they'd be offering the moon for Mr "Elite goal scorer either.

At the end of the day we paid 2 1sts and a 2nd.
If the Pens make the playoffs, we received 2 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd.
I'm sorry those players weren't Seguin and Hamilton but as so many have pointed out, we didn't trade Seguin/Hamilton for Kessel. We traded 2 1sts and a 2nd.
I would have been happy with Kappy and a 1st.
I would have been even happier if Kessel/Phaneuf/Bozak were traded before the new deals and several collapse ago but you can't always get what you want. You may however find that sometimes you get what you need.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
I have to admit, I was some kind of angry about the Kessel trade in the summer. But it may turn out to be as good as the Seguin trade. If the Leafs can somehow sign Stamkos (huge if)... then you have essentially traded

Kessel = Kapanen, Pittsburgh 1st, Harrington and Stamkos (likely wouldn't have cap space without the trade).

Although another player with a few million dollar cap hit will need to be sacrificed (as Stamkos will cost more than Kessel). I am shocked Kessel isn't a top 10 scorer right now.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Do I like the direction of the team since Kessel was traded (more like since Shanny got here)? Yes, yes I do.

Having said that, Kessel was not ever the problem. I think it was time for a change, but Phil Kessel was my favourite player for 6 years and was often the only reason to watch the Leafs.

Say what you want about him, but Phil Kessel made hockey exciting and was fun to watch. It's not his fault Burke traded so much for him and then Nonis put garbage around him.

Overall the team was trash, but Kessel kept us good enough to not get a great pick, yet he wasn't enough to do it all himself. At that point, the only rational idea was to tear it down and try again.

My thoughts exactly. Give us a complete Kessel replica in 2-3 years and i'd have no problem what so ever with him.

We got "bent over" if you feel like we traded the 2011-12 to 2013-14 version of Kessel who was good for about 37 goals and 80 points a year, but we moved out an $8 million dollar player who has 1 more point than Tyler Bozak this season, who is 28 and who is signed for another 6 years after this. Walking away from that situation is already amazing. Wouldn't be surprised if Pittsburgh ended up buying this guy out and is hit with dead cap well into the late 2020s.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Crosby has 3 more points than Bozak, Pits should buy him out too. He's making 12 million for 3 points more than 8 million dollar Kessel. Heck Kessel looks like a better bang for your buck kinda deal.

Last edited:

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Kessel simply couldn't win in this market. Fans and media blamed him for everything that went wrong with the team. It use to drive me crazy watching the little flashes on the screen continually giving updates every time Kessel hadn't scored in 3 games. It was brutal.

Every time he faltered, it reminded fans of the trade. Again, I hated the trade, but it was time for everyone to get a fresh start.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
I know its tough to admit for you, but the trade sucked for the leafs.

You already know 2/4 assets are pretty much amounting to nothing (Spaling+Harrington)

Kapenen is 0.5ppg in the AHL on the highest scoring team.

Kapenen+late 1st for Kessel + 2nd

On top of that we retained Salary :laugh:

Dubas dropped a giant dump on that trade.

Funniest thing, is that I bet Rutherford wouldn't make that trade again if he had a re-do.

I'm very happy with the trade & it appears, so are the majority of people taking the poll.

BTW, Kapanen is 0.59 ppg & has 8 pts in his last 10 games. Not bad for a 19 year old when most kids that age are still playing Junior.

VengefulTornHapuka.gif

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
At the end of the day we paid 2 1sts and a 2nd.
If the Pens make the playoffs, we received 2 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd.
I'm sorry those players weren't Seguin and Hamilton but as so many have pointed out, we didn't trade Seguin/Hamilton for Kessel. We traded 2 1sts and a 2nd.
I would have been happy with Kappy and a 1st.
I would have been even happier if Kessel/Phaneuf/Bozak were traded before the new deals and several collapse ago but you can't always get what you want. You may however find that sometimes you get what you need.

No we didn't trade Seguin and Hamilton, we were a rebuilding bottom end team that traded two non protected 1st plus and then for some strange reason some of us were shocked the picks were as high as they were.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
No we didn't trade Seguin and Hamilton, we were a rebuilding bottom end team that traded two non protected 1st plus and then for some strange reason some of us were shocked the picks were as high as they were.

Hilarious how people thought a forward core with bozak and Joey ****ing crabb would finish anywhere but last. Only people who thought that were Burke and the homers here. I can recall most people expected we were going to tank before that idiot trade

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
Funniest thing, is that I bet Rutherford wouldn't make that trade again if he had a re-do.

I'm very happy with the trade & it appears, so are the majority of people taking the poll.

BTW, Kapanen is 0.59 ppg & has 8 pts in his last 10 games. Not bad for a 19 year old when most kids that age are still playing Junior.

VengefulTornHapuka.gif

Everyone is happy we got rid of him. The poll doesn't say anything if we are happy with that garbage return.

It was essentially kapanen and a 2nd for a retained kessel. The pick upgrade is worth a 2nd. I'd say Harrington has no value, we could easily lose him on waivers next year with Percy.

The retain takes away a huge amount of leverage for us by killing one of the 3 slots for 7 years. That's more value than you think. Part of the reason we got a 2nd for winnik is cause we retained 50%.

It was a terrible deal and I'm sure Lou would've never let it happen

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Everyone is happy we got rid of him. The poll doesn't say anything if we are happy with that garbage return.

It was essentially kapanen and a 2nd for a retained kessel. The pick upgrade is worth a 2nd. I'd say Harrington has no value, we could easily lose him on waivers next year with Percy.

The retain takes away a huge amount of leverage for us by killing one of the 3 slots for 7 years. That's more value than you think. Part of the reason we got a 2nd for winnik is cause we retained 50%.

It was a terrible deal and I'm sure Lou would've never let it happen

Compared to what we traded for him it was terrible but just because we over paid doesn't mean the rest of the league was going to as well 6 years later.

Also while we had to retain we also cleared 7m in cap space which is just as important as the assets we received.

mikebel111*

It was good we traded him for rebuild

He is still an amazing player and a great scorer. Should be awesome with an elite C.
Pens seem happy with him. His unlucky results really say it. What a talent he is and great player. Wow was he ever awesome though here and will be in Pitts as well. Great productive player.

tml19

Nov 30, 2013
Mississauga, Ontario
The way you guys are taking all the other factors out of the trade is ridiculous.

Harrington is easily worth a 3rd+. He still has potential and was fairly solid in the team he was up with the big team. Marincin cost a 4th
Spaling is a solid depth center who is very good on the draw. He would return a 6th.

So basically in terms of value we returned:
A prospect
1st round pick
3rd round pick
3rd round pick
6th round pick

for
2nd
Kessel

The 2nd cancels out with a 3rd and 6th. So in value we returned an A prospect, 1st and 3rd for Kessel. Not a bad return at all. The only thing I wasn't happy with was the condition on the pick. The retention had to happen for the trade to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad