Are you happy that Phil Kessel is gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
kessel was a good player and i liked him. but we acquired him at the wrong time. he's the type of piece you add when you have a good team with a good core and require a final piece on a stanley cup contending team.

he's not the type of player you have as a core piece or a player you build around which is what the leafs did. teams can build around a winger but not a winger like kessel cause of his character issues. he's nothing more than a complimentary piece.

if he didn't have character issues, shanny and babs would have wanted him here. he was still young and was very productive with garbage players in toronto, and yet he was still dealt. why? babs is a smart coach, and i'm pretty sure if he saw something in kessel, he would have asked shanny to keep him but didn't. this should say everything.

maybe not, look at pittsburgh

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
maybe not, look at pittsburgh

True but I think coaching was an issue in Pittsburgh. Let's see what the team can do now. Plus I'm still not convinced Pittsburgh is a Stanley cup contending team. They're more of a bubble team tbh. They also have issues on defence that haven't been fixed.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I never wanted him here in the first place, disliked him when he was here so of course I am happy he is no longer a Leaf. I am even ok with having Dion around now when Phil is gone and man have I disliked Phaneuf as well in the past. Just to illustrate how badly I felt about having Kessel in a Leaf uniform.

But the failure of Pens this season can not be blamed on Kessel. He of course has not been a positive that has helped in any way, just more gasoline to the fire. But that fire has been burning there for some time now.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Dear God Yes.

He was fun to watch at times, but he needed to go. Both Tyler Bozak and James van Reimsdyk look a hell of a lot better without Kessel. They seem to be playing harder, and have more confidence doing their game, rather than "get phil the puck".

This team is better off without Kessel, and adding Kapanen and Harrington, two very solid prospects, along with a 1st rounder (PIT will make it) is huge going forward.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Kessel is a coach killer and he just took another one in Pittsburgh yesterday.

Kessel was the poster child for everything that was wrong with the Leafs and he had to go as the ring leader to self entitlement.

While the Leafs paid $1.20 on on dollar to acquire him and got only $.75 cents on the dollar to get rid of him at any cost, in the big picture it was the right thing to do.

JustOneBeforeIGo

Apr 22, 2015
Toronto
Do I like the direction of the team since Kessel was traded (more like since Shanny got here)? Yes, yes I do.

Having said that, Kessel was not ever the problem. I think it was time for a change, but Phil Kessel was my favourite player for 6 years and was often the only reason to watch the Leafs.

Say what you want about him, but Phil Kessel made hockey exciting and was fun to watch. It's not his fault Burke traded so much for him and then Nonis put garbage around him.

Overall the team was trash, but Kessel kept us good enough to not get a great pick, yet he wasn't enough to do it all himself. At that point, the only rational idea was to tear it down and try again.

This:handclap:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Deep down, I think so. It just wasn't working out and we needed to move on.

But I'm also in the same sentiment with the 'old' core we still have.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
We had to separate to move on. He wasn't the only problem, but he was a big one. When your star player doesn't back check or hit in a contact league your in trouble. When he doesn't take direction from the coach you have a problem. He had to go. Happy with the return. Could care less how he is doing in Pittsburgh.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
In his last 82 games he has 19 goals and 30 assists for 49 points. He has 6 more seasons left on his contract after this season. The hysterics over his departure have died down to a dull whimper. It was a very sound decision.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Yes I am very glad that he is gone. I disagree with mess that he cost another coach in Pittsburgh, because that is really the silliest thing to say. Johnston was having issues from pretty much the day he got hired there. Everyone was saying it from like ten, fifteen games in last season.

I also disagree that Kessel was the only interesting thing to watch in the last six years. Mileage will have to vary on that. I never blamed him for being traded here, I never blamed him for managements stupidity, but on things he could control, I don't think other than scoring he ever really put his best foot forward or did the very best that he could. And while that may be okay with some people that didn't sit well with me.

We are better without Kessel for all that we want to implement, even though we are near the basement. We will be better with other Kessel too' once we start inputting more talent on the roster.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Not overly impressed with the return, felt the deal was rushed but that said I don't think Kessel was good for this team and am happy that he is gone.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I think there will be lots of pages to say it was time to move on from Kessel, and that Babcock is trying to build the team in a different mould (defensively responsible forwards). End of story.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Yes, and I think as time passes, more fans will appreciate the return we got for him while we could still unload his contract.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Not overly impressed with the return, felt the deal was rushed but that said I don't think Kessel was good for this team and am happy that he is gone.

If Pitt doesn't retain salary i don't see them even getting back the modest price they paid to get him at this time .

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If Pitt doesn't retain salary i don't see them even getting back the modest price they paid to get him at this time .

Kessel is currently tied for #107 overall in NHL scoring as one of the highest paid players in the game and on pace for 26 goals and 50 points after recording just 17 points to date.

He seems to miss his pal Bozie and coach Wilson's run and gun no defense days in Toronto to stats pad his way to his boated current contract.

Who would have suggested 30 games into the season that Uncle Leo in Toronto would have more goals then Kessel who is being centered by either Crosby or Malkin now and playing with both on the Pens PP.

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
I really would have been interested to see what Babcock could have done with Kessel. If he bought in he would be a big help here scoring. With that said I'm also pretty happy with the return we got for him. As this season goes on it looks better for the Leafs to have made the trade.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
2nd = Spaling + 3rd

Penguins: Kessel + 2nd

Leafs: Kapanen + Spaling + Harrington + 1st + 3rd

Kessel = Kapanen + Harrington + 1st

We did alright.

Great Post

It simplifies the trade if Penguins make the playoffs this year (they should).

Interesting & good way to break down the trade.

It seems to point out that a lot of emphasis has to be placed on how good Kapanen and the 1st overall will be. Would have to hope that Kapanen is a bonafide (above average) 1st line player.

Not automatic that both turn out great and it will be some time before we really know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad