Management Are you confident in the rebuild? Draft analysis and discussion

So... are you confident in the rebuild?

• Total voters

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Ok they have to beat those two second round picks not match them so ya that starts adding up.
I think the sens are a lot closer to the cap then you think, they have like 7 million in space? now pay Norris save room for Zub Jimmy Pinto.
It’s not that easy to be adding millions it has to make sense
Why can’t they trade or add some salary to insulate the young guys? Once those young guys are ready to earn big contracts you can trade the vets like Dillon for draft picks which other teams would easily do

that’s literally how most teams do it. The best chance to compete is during the ELC of good players we are wasting those years by pissing away points while also hurting the development of players like stuztle cause we are unable to bring in actual talent and support

Reactions: Xspyrit

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Why can’t they trade or add some salary to insulate the young guys? Once those young guys are ready to earn big contracts you can trade the vets like Dillon for draft picks which other teams would easily do

that’s literally how most teams do it. The best chance to compete is during the ELC of good players we are wasting those years by pissing away points while also hurting the development of players like stuztle cause we are unable to bring in actual talent and support

Thats a myth almost no teams win with ELC contracts leading the way. This team is still a couple years away nobody rebuilds through the draft and is competing 3 years later. They blew it last year by not tanking they still need a legit star forward.

Reactions: Cosmix

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Thats a myth almost no teams win with ELC contracts leading the way. This team is still a couple years away nobody rebuilds through the draft and is competing 3 years later. They blew it last year by not tanking they still need a legit star forward.
Why can’t they add supporting player so I’m not watching stuztle blow up his stick against the board everyday?
We are closer to the Taylor hall led oilers than a playoff team . It’s well known that you have to insulate youth or a losing culture is likely to follow

Reactions: Xspyrit

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Why can’t they add supporting player so I’m not watching stuztle blow up his stick against the board everyday?
We are closer to the Taylor hall led oilers than a playoff team . It’s well known that you have to insulate youth or a losing culture is likely to follow

Stu can beat the goilie nobody can fix that but him. The rebuild is hardly over relax.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Stu can beat the goilie nobody can fix that but him. The rebuild is hardly over relax.
Get him a Center to play with . The sens are running him with Paul a 3rd line winger as his Center

same issues as last year . Depth down the middle . If you are relying on pinto who is a 20 year old rookie to come in a fix things then this rebuild is not going well at all

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Big problem with the rebuild is the loss of Logan Brown. We needed that kid to become a legit 1C.

As it stands right now, we'd either have to move some really great assets to bring in a legit 1C (and no, a Norris/Turris/Duchene/Pinto level guy doesn't cut it), or somehow win the lottery this draft and hope Wright becomes that high end 1C.

Reactions: SENStastic

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Big problem with the rebuild is the loss of Logan Brown. We needed that kid to become a legit 1C.

As it stands right now, we'd either have to move some really great assets to bring in a legit 1C (and no, a Norris/Turris/Duchene/Pinto level guy doesn't cut it), or somehow win the lottery this draft and hope Wright becomes that high end 1C.

Friggin Logan Brown. If he had become even a Lars Eller type 3rd line centre this team would've benefited immensely. I doubt he ever has an NHL career given his work ethic (or lack of) and Sanford will probably contribute more to this team then he ever did, but damn what a frustrating situation.

Reactions: czechcanadian

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

Eichel

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton

Eichel would've been a great gamble, but the price for him might have been unreasonable since Buffalo probably wouldn't want to move him in the same division. Its not like we have a legit top 6 forward from the the Buffalo region like Tuch to help out. It'd probably be a 1st, 2nd, and we'd have to probably include Sanderson. No way we do that and would have to lump in multiple solid prospects we have. It'd deplete our farm and its not like we have the blue line to support an Eichel led offense

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Eichel would've been a great gamble, but the price for him might have been unreasonable since Buffalo probably wouldn't want to move him in the same division. Its not like we have a legit top 6 forward from the the Buffalo region like Tuch to help out. It'd probably be a 1st, 2nd, and we'd have to probably include Sanderson. No way we do that and would have to lump in multiple solid prospects we have. It'd deplete our farm and its not like we have the blue line to support an Eichel led offense
Tuch is pretty expendable player for them

the return that Buffalo got is pretty underwhelming

I agree we probably pay a higher price but I would have probably done it . So hard to find a franchise Center

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

Not everyone will pan out

actually most won’t unless they are legit top picks

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I think @aragorn summed that up. Dorion is a) trying to sell tickets and b) trying to send a message to the team not to get comfortable with losing. He’s a bad communicator and speaks in absolutes.

I absolutely do not think he expected us to be as low as we are, and I think he makes bad decisions. But him saying the rebuild is over has no real bearing on what’s happening, it’s not as if he went and traded our first unprotected. He’s just spewing some nonsense in the media.

He also explained what he meant by that sentence in his following sentences in the very same interview.

Honestly it’s pretty disingenuous, and also the boards favourite hammer. Says more about us in here than it does about the GM.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Lol, once those guys are ready….

Give me a break. We have two more big deals coming up this summer at least, and a few small ones.

Dillon does what for us? Help us win a few more games, while getting more term and money than he should on a non playoff team. While we give up assets that are better served being used by us?

No dude. The problem is your lack of patience.

This team will grow and progress at the speed of the core, and Dillon isn’t going to o do shit the speed that up.

Our first D man of the rebuild will arrive at the TDL. Hold your horses, we still have a ways to go before we start selling off the future for the now.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Not everyone will pan out

actually most won’t unless they are legit top picks

Yes, but he was supposed to be one of the key cogs. Picking 11th overall, you can't afford to miss on a pick that high.

And the stupid kid had all the tools to succeed...except for the desire. Incredibly frustrating.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Lol, once those guys are ready….

Give me a break. We have two more big deals coming up this summer at least, and a few small ones.

Dillon does what for us? Help us win a few more games, while getting more term and money than he should on a non playoff team. While we give up assets that are better served being used by us?

No dude. The problem is your lack of patience.

This team will grow and progress at the speed of the core, and Dillon isn’t going to o do shit the speed that up.

Our first D man of the rebuild will arrive at the TDL. Hold your horses, we still have a ways to go before we start selling off the future for the now.

??? What about JBD, Thomson, Brannstrom & others?

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
Most of the others are magic beans and the jury is out on them. We need to stop overhyping teenagers. They often don't pan out.

Example: Brannstrom is probably not going to make it in the NHL with the Sens. Injury issues and managment clearly don't trust him. The spectre of the Mark Stone trade will follow him as long as he is a Senator. I expect he'll be traded for magic beans soon enough

Last edited:
Reactions: Adrianopolous

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Most of the others are magic beans and the jury is out on them. We need to stop overhyping teenagers. They often don't pan out.

Example: Brannstrom is probably not going to make it in the NHL with the Sens. Injury issues and managment clearly don't trust him. The spectre of the Mark Stone trade will follow him as long as he is a Senator. I expect he'll be traded for magic beans soon enough

I agree but we don’t need everyone to pan out. We need a few dmen and a few forwards, that’s all, and we have quantity - so you keep the successful ones and move on if they don’t work out.

Ashrum

Sep 22, 2006
I am kind of happy with what has occurred. At Best we may get lucky and squeeze into the playoffs this year but with all of the injuries and covid stuff we are just decimated. I am confident that the asks for players were too high so we didn't pay it at the start of all of this.

Then it just got much worse too quickly for management to do something stupid. At this trade deadline we can be sellers again,pad our prospect pool even more. My fear is forcing us into the playoffs and shooting ourselves in the foot for years to come.

Relax, we were never cup contenders this year let's set ourselves up to be that for years to come. Looking back doing nothing when your not ready usually isn't a bad thing.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
I am kind of happy with what has occurred. At Best we may get lucky and squeeze into the playoffs this year but with all of the injuries and covid stuff we are just decimated. I am confident that the asks for players were too high so we didn't pay it at the start of all of this.

Then it just got much worse too quickly for management to do something stupid. At this trade deadline we can be sellers again,pad our prospect pool even more. My fear is forcing us into the playoffs and shooting ourselves in the foot for years to come.

Relax, we were never cup contenders this year let's set ourselves up to be that for years to come. Looking back doing nothing when your not ready usually isn't a bad thing.
Don't be afraid of that
Not happening

Reactions: Ashrum

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
No one expected the Sens fans to be cup contenders this season. Or even be a playoff team.

There were expectations this season within the fanbase and managment that the team would simply win more games. Play meaningful hockey later in the season. Actually have a FUN season and not tank.

Instead once again for the 2nd year running, pre-season optimism has been immediately harpooned thanks to awful moves (or lack there of) made in the offseason.

I want to watch a Sens game in Janauary, February. Hell even Christmas where the game actually matters.

Instead once again after 10-15 games the season is over the Sens will be a waste of everyone's time by Christmas. It's a complete and utter failure of a season

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
No one expected the Sens fans to be cup contenders this season. Or even be a playoff team.

There were expectations this season within the fanbase and managment that the team would simply win more games. Play meaningful hockey later in the season. Actually have a FUN season and not tank.

Instead once again for the 2nd year running, pre-season optimism has been immediately harpooned thanks to awful moves (or lack there of) made in the offseason.

I want to watch a Sens game in Janauary, February. Hell even Christmas where the game actually matters.

Instead once again after 10-15 games the season is over the Sens will be a waste of everyone's time by Christmas. It's a complete and utter failure of a season

Eh….. bit to early to put a bow on the season in my opinion.

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
Eh….. bit to early to put a bow on the season in my opinion.
Between the bad start and then the injuries and covid, and the idiotic decisions by managment and their clear preference for roster filling plugs like JBrown, Zaitsev and MDZ, it's finished.

They'll trudge a couple runs in the spring to screw our lottery pick but that's it

Reactions: Cosmix

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Get him a Center to play with . The sens are running him with Paul a 3rd line winger as his Center

same issues as last year . Depth down the middle . If you are relying on pinto who is a 20 year old rookie to come in a fix things then this rebuild is not going well at all
Agreed!

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Between the bad start and then the injuries and covid, and the idiotic decisions by managment and their clear preference for roster filling plugs like JBrown, Zaitsev and MDZ, it's finished.

They'll trudge a couple runs in the spring to screw our lottery pick but that's it

Alrighty then!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad