Management Are you confident in the rebuild? Draft analysis and discussion

So... are you confident in the rebuild?

• Total voters

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I just no longer trust Dorion and DJ to assess NHL level talent, that's where I currently am at. That said, if we want to sign better players fans better buy more tickets and merch!

More tickets and merch means Melnyk can replace Dorion and DJ with upgrades just gotta find candidates with similar Yes/60 stats

Reactions: Xspyrit

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Whoops. Yeah, Holden aint young. Sanford is young enough to be part of our rebuild if he proves his value.

So far, Sanford has proved he is not good enough nor tough enough to be signed for additional seasons. Easily replaceable. Ennis out-performs Sanford.

Reactions: Xspyrit

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
So far, Sanford has proved he is not good enough nor tough enough to be signed for additional seasons. Easily replaceable. Ennis out-performs Sanford.

Ennis has been a legit good depth signing, pleasantly surprised by him this year, what a great little pest. And to think that he most likely was only signed on a PTO just so we can reach the cap floor due to Brady holding out, kind of bizarre how that worked out lol.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Ennis has been a legit good depth signing, pleasantly surprised by him this year, what a great little pest. And to think that he most likely was only signed on a PTO just so we can reach the cap floor due to Brady holding out, kind of bizarre how that worked out lol.

Ennis is one of our best forwards at maintaining puck possession in the O zone. We need a top end #1 C to become a SC contender.

Reactions: SENStastic

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
How do you know what they wanted? What if they would not move off Pinto or Soko and our first?
Let them figure it out, it’s been 3 drafts since the rebuild started and they 100% have to save room for a Zub contract.
It needs to be addressed yes but it also has to make sense

2018, 2019, 2020, 2021

Sens had the 4th OA pick in 2018

Why are you talking about "Pinto or Soko and our first"? I mean, Pinto and Sens first were pieces to get Jack Eichel, not Ryan Graves or Brenden Dillon

Why can’t they trade or add some salary to insulate the young guys? Once those young guys are ready to earn big contracts you can trade the vets like Dillon for draft picks which other teams would easily do

We were laughed at last season when we were complaining about the vets quality, we were told they were there to "insulate" the kids but what these posters FAILED to understand is that vets who are overwhelmed on the ice don't insulate anybody, they just add to the pressure and anxiety on these young players.

that’s literally how most teams do it. The best chance to compete is during the ELC of good players we are wasting those years by pissing away points while also hurting the development of players like stuztle cause we are unable to bring in actual talent and support

Agreed.

Chabot is soon 25 y/o, Zub is 26 y/o, Batherson is 23 y/o, Connor Brown is soon 28 y/o, Nick Paul is 26 y/o. Tkachuk is only 22 y/o but this is his 4th NHL season. We have several other vets but none of them bring much quality to the lineup

Among players on 1-way contracts, we have 15 guys who are 25 y/o and older (if you count Chabot and White who both turn 25 in January)

I mean... what's the reason for not being more competitive? We have young players? lol look at other NHL teams, they have as many if not MORE young players...

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Big problem with the rebuild is the loss of Logan Brown. We needed that kid to become a legit 1C.

As it stands right now, we'd either have to move some really great assets to bring in a legit 1C (and no, a Norris/Turris/Duchene/Pinto level guy doesn't cut it), or somehow win the lottery this draft and hope Wright becomes that high end 1C.

What about we acquire Cole Sillinger?

Maybe a package of Tyler Boucher + Erik Brannstrom + 2nd round pick?

Would the Jackets turn that down?

I agree but we don’t need everyone to pan out. We need a few dmen and a few forwards, that’s all, and we have quantity - so you keep the successful ones and move on if they don’t work out.

Like Balcers, Chlapik, Duclair and DeMelo? In the meantime, give playing time to the likes of Josh Brown, Michael Del Zotto, Scott Sabourin and Logan Shaw. I mean, what could go wrong? Or actually, that's pretty genius if the plan is to tank

We just had no idea that Pierre Dorion was a SERIAL TANKER™

I am kind of happy with what has occurred. At Best we may get lucky and squeeze into the playoffs this year but with all of the injuries and covid stuff we are just decimated. I am confident that the asks for players were too high so we didn't pay it at the start of all of this.

Then it just got much worse too quickly for management to do something stupid. At this trade deadline we can be sellers again,pad our prospect pool even more. My fear is forcing us into the playoffs and shooting ourselves in the foot for years to come.

Relax, we were never cup contenders this year let's set ourselves up to be that for years to come. Looking back doing nothing when your not ready usually isn't a bad thing.

Clock is already ticking on Chabot, Tkachuk and Batherson contracts. You need to start competing. After this season, you basically have a 6 years window with ZERO playoff experience for the whole team. GREAT

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Once Ottawa rids themselves of most of their UFAs who have no future with the team they should be one of the youngest teams in the league. They continue to wait for their prospects to be NHL ready & some have shown they already are & maybe should be in the lineup. However, they need to move a number of UFA guys out with one way contracts to get them in & hopefully we start to see that soon.

1. Gustavsson - looks more than ready to be at the least the backup to Murray but I assume they will wait until they are closer to the TDL to move Forsberg.

2. Thomson - has looked good in his two appearances, he won't be able to replace Zaitsev since his contract might be too difficult to move but he should replace J. Brown sooner or later.

3. Tierny - with the injury to Pinto it will be more difficult to move Tierny, but I expect he could be one of their more valuable trade assets. They definitely need some temproray help at centre with a better than average centre. Maybe White or Pinto are fully recovered by the TDL.

4. Sanderson - it's likely that we will only see this guy in Ottawa at the end of the season but it's next yr that he should be on the roster full time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad