OT: Are you annoyed with the Jays being Canada's team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I don't get why people can't cheer for the Jays bc they don't live in TO or have no tides to TO.
I am an AC Milan fan all my life, but never visited Milan or even know anyone who is from Milan.

Fans are fans, they might cheer for the team bc of certain players or their history or whatever.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I don't get why people can't cheer for the Jays bc they don't live in TO or have no tides to TO.
I am an AC Milan fan all my life, but never visited Milan or even know anyone who is from Milan.

Fans are fans, they might cheer for the team bc of certain players or their history or whatever.

Yeah, I'm a Liverpool fan, Tampa Bay Buccaneers fan, and a Florida State Seminoles fan. Geography has no bearing on fandom.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016

Great point! I became a fan of the Steelers when Bill Cowher started coaching there. After he left, my interest in the Steelers greatly waned. I suppose that is the definition of bandwagon but, is that wrong?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
What constitutes a bandwagon fan? I assume most people are, 162 games is a big investment.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Great point! I became a fan of the Steelers when Bill Cowher started coaching there. After he left, my interest in the Steelers greatly waned. I suppose that is the definition of bandwagon but, is that wrong?

Why did Bill Cowher have such an effect on you?

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
how can you say no this face

330e658949177701c0c517b4031b6411.jpg

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I cheer for the Browns, I have no sympathy for anyother fan base due to this.

I don't mind the Canada wide fan base as long as Rogers turns those profits into expendatures. I'm more annoyed by local fans who just hopped on the bandwagon than nationwide viewers. In general, this means fans who are shocked when they are told Carter isn't in the hall of fame (a good career and one spectacular moment doesn't get you in), don't understand rather simplistic rules (infield fly. or how a strikeout can technically not be an out if the pitch is dropped the the player reaches first before the throw.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
View attachment 92121

Ask yourself, how could you not follow that guy into battle?

Stuffing the photo of 11 players on the field in McCarter's pocket was a thing of beauty.

I've been a Steeler fan since the Chuck Noll Super Bowl days of the early 70's. I loved Cowher as well, sad day when he packed it in.

The Steelers are like the Leafs for me, fan of the Team not individuals.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Just wondering what some of the residents in the GTA think of all the non GTA Jays fans with 0 ties to Toronto. I for one have no problem with the long time out of town jays fans, but all the people that jumped on the bandwagon, not so fond of. I believe the Jays should be Toronto's team. If the Leafs were in the Cup finals being only Canadian team left, we would not be called Canada's team. Should swing both ways.

For those that are ok with this,
Would you be ok if they were named The Canada Blue Jays?

I think the main problem is that it should be Toronto's team, not Canada's. Then I would have no problem with all bandwagoners.

Is this post serious?

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
I think it's great. Seeing throngs of Blue Jays all over, cheering and celebrating our wins. What a sight it was recently in Seattle when 85% of the stadium was cheering for the Jays. Never ever have I seen that on that level before.

The Jays are the only MLB team in Canada as are the Raps in basketball. Works for me!

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Everyone in Toronto hated Toronto sports, at least my friends, now that the Raptors/Jays are doing well they all support the city. I dont really care, bandwagoners are everywhere.

Remember the epic Leafs bandwagon in 2013? Fake fans were thumping their chests when we were up 4-1, and I was tweeting stuff like "chill bro" "got a bad feeling" :laugh:

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
Just wondering what some of the residents in the GTA think of all the non GTA Jays fans with 0 ties to Toronto. I for one have no problem with the long time out of town jays fans, but all the people that jumped on the bandwagon, not so fond of. I believe the Jays should be Toronto's team. If the Leafs were in the Cup finals being only Canadian team left, we would not be called Canada's team. Should swing both ways.

I think the main problem is that it should be Toronto's team, not Canada's. Then I would have no problem with all bandwagoners.

so let me get this straight.

you are annoyed that other people outside of GTA have jumped onto the Jay's this year, increased tv viewership, which increases Rogers revenue, which makes it easier for the Jays to compete with a sucking CAD versus USD..

Got it.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Nope - if you're a professional baseball in Canada fan there's only really one option for you to cheer for - other than Manitobans who seem to prefer the Twins.

Embrace fans beyond the GTA rather than shun them.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Nope - if you're a professional baseball in Canada fan there's only really one option for you to cheer for - other than Manitobans who seem to prefer the Twins.

Embrace fans beyond the GTA rather than shun them.
Mariners used to have a pretty big following in Van. Pretty sure some of the east coast had Red Soxs fans too (which pre-dates the heavy bandwagon rush of 2003). As Ernie Leafs mentioned (Windsor) but it extends pretty far, including London has a sizable Tigers fan base.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton

This post wreaks of someone who lives in a big city and thinks everyone who doesn't is a bandwagoner to some degree.

Those of us born in the 80's-90's outside of Toronto have ties to the Blue Jays through our parents and grand parents who jumped on the bandwagon in the 80's as the team got better at the same time as TV coverage coast-to-coast became a thing. They were the first generation to be able to follow almost every game and certainly every playoff game in that era.

I was a bandwagoner for the Red Sox in the early 00's. I never stopped being a Jays fan but minus Green and Delgado there wasn't much to hold onto. Meanwhile the Red Sox were a story that transcended sports at the time. Much like the Cubs this year will if they happen to win the World Series.

But most of us are probably bigger Jays fans then those living in the city. We've watched Jays games for 2 decades with nothing to cheer for until 2013 or so when the attitude changed.

The people filling the stadium who can't name the guys at the end of the bullpen are the ones on the bandwagon.

Those of us who lived through an era of Roy Halladay being the only reminder of being a real major league team every 5th day for a decade....not so much.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Mariners used to have a pretty big following in Van. Pretty sure some of the east coast had Red Soxs fans too (which pre-dates the heavy bandwagon rush of 2003). As Ernie Leafs mentioned (Windsor) but it extends pretty far, including London has a sizable Tigers fan base.

East Coast has a huge Boston following for every major sport.

All our American TV networks come from Boston/New England area so it's natural.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad