OT: Are you annoyed with the Jays being Canada's team

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHRoNiCWiLL

Mar 17, 2010
GTA
Just wondering what some of the residents in the GTA think of all the non GTA Jays fans with 0 ties to Toronto. I for one have no problem with the long time out of town jays fans, but all the people that jumped on the bandwagon, not so fond of. I believe the Jays should be Toronto's team. If the Leafs were in the Cup finals being only Canadian team left, we would not be called Canada's team. Should swing both ways.

For those that are ok with this,
Would you be ok if they were named The Canada Blue Jays?

I think the main problem is that it should be Toronto's team, not Canada's. Then I would have no problem with all bandwagoners.

Last edited:

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
There is one team in Canada. Therefore the Jays are Canada's team. Vancouver filling the seats in Seattle (like 90% Jays fans) was one of the greatest things I have seen this season. No I am not annoyed.

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
Why would I be? Why would anyone be? Fans is fans.

There's also the whole deal with them literally being the only team in Canada, so... Strike two for you!

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Just wondering what some of the residents in the GTA think of all the non GTA Jays fans with 0 ties to Toronto. I for one have no problem with the long time out of town jays fans, but all the people that jumped on the bandwagon, not so fond of. I believe the Jays should be Toronto's team. If the Leafs were in the Cup finals being only Canadian team left, we would not be called Canada's team. Should swing both ways.

Sharing is caring!

I've never understood why someone would care what other people do? Who cares if people jumped on the bandwagon, not sure how that affects you?

The players are loving the attention. Did you not see the players interacting with fans after the Texas win? They mentioned countless times how much they love the fact that every stadium is filled with fans.

Ropesman

May 1, 2016
Charlottetown
As an out of TO fan clearly I don't mind it at all. No real reason to be annoyed IMO, I don't think being a citizen of said city is a requirement to be a fan of a team. Especially when there is only one team in the entire country. Its all about growing up following/caring about a certain team and having those memories.

I can kind of understand the annoyance with bandwagon fans, but its to be expected. When a team goes on a run and becomes the talk of the town (or country in this case) its natural for people to be interested and begin following. However when you have that guy or girl who acts as though they know the team backwards and forwards and clearly just hopped on the bandwagon yesterday, that is most definitely annoying.

draeko17

Jul 7, 2007
As someone who has cheered for the Jays since the last hockey lock out, but living on the west coast, I'm possibly one of the bandwagon fans I suppose. Except that the first 10 years that I cheered for them, they didn't make the playoffs. So maybe not. However, if I did live in Toronto, it wouldn't bother me, the "bandwagon" fans. The more the merrier. Seriously, a part of what is so much fun is the shared experience with other fans. We've been driving down to Seattle the last three or four summers to take in a game or two when the Jays are in town. It is so much fun, you get to the border and you look around and most of the people sitting waiting to cross the border are wearing their Blue hats or shirts or whatever. You feel like you are a part of something. It's awesome. And I know that my passion for the team has led to friends and family paying more attention to the Jays as well. My 83 year old mom is now going through withdrawals as we wait for the next series to start. It's just like that. The more the merrier.

CHRoNiCWiLL

Mar 17, 2010
GTA
Why is it all of a sudden Canada's team when they start winning. For the past 20 years it was just the Toronto Blue Jays. Should have been 'Canada's team' for the last 20 years, and not just starting last year.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Bandwagon fans bring the $$ to keep the Jays competitive going forward.

If attendance were at ~25,000 and TV viewership at ~300,000, we'd see payroll dropping pretty fast.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

I think the main problem is that it should be Toronto's team, not Canada's. Then I would have no problem with all bandwagoners.

I....I can't even.
Lots of baseball fans here and there is 1 team in the country, dude.

What a horrible thread.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Why is it all of a sudden Canada's team when they start winning. For the past 20 years it was just the Toronto Blue Jays. Should have been 'Canada's team' for the last 20 years, and not just starting last year.
No one is denying that they are bandwagon fans.

If and when the Leafs ever become competitive in the playoffs you'll suddenly find a LOT more Leafs fans making themselves known both in Toronto and around the country.

OriginalCanadian

May 13, 2015
The Hammer
They are the only Canadian team, so what's the problem? If the Expos still existed they probably wouldn't be calling themselves "Canada's Team". I only recently started following baseball, more specifically the season before the Jays "got good". I don't understand why people would be annoyed, maybe it's because I'm a relatively new fan.

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
They are the only Canadian team, so what's the problem? If the Expos still existed they probably wouldn't be calling themselves "Canada's Team". I only recently started following baseball, more specifically the season before the Jays "got good". I don't understand why people would be annoyed, maybe it's because I'm a relatively new fan.
Because their pants have chaffed their armpits to the bone.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
There is 1 baseball team and 7 hockey teams in Canada. It isn't the same. Someone from BC can hate the Leafs but love the Jays. Why WOULDN'T you want more Jays fans across this country? It's not like this country has much to unify it to begin with.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

So bandwagon fans are ok as long as they live in Toronto?

Do you think fans in Boston get mad when people from elsewhere in Massachusetts cheer for the Red Sox?

RyanMac

Jul 20, 2003
Curious that you call fans from outside Toronto bandwagon fans when Toronto couldn't fill the stadium during those down years. Any team that is successful will attract new fans -- whether it be in their home city or elsewhere. I can assure you there has been a strong following for the Jays outside Toronto for decades. That's a byproduct of the team being one of only two MLB teams (and now the only) to exist in the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad