Are we rebuilding?

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
^ Yeah but when you draft bums like Lindholm over Monahan and set your franchise back another 5 years it's a real problem.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
^ Yeah but when you draft bums like Lindholm over Monahan and set your franchise back another 5 years it's a real problem.

If you recall, the thought of passing on a few different guys for Monahan was considered anathema to the vast majority of the draft gurus on this board. Mostly because he is Canadian and is considered "gritty."

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
If you recall, the thought of passing on a few different guys for Monahan was considered anathema to the vast majority of the draft gurus on this board. Mostly because he is Canadian and is considered "gritty."

Exactly...Monahan was viewed as "safe" back then. I was was expecting the Canes to draft Monahan and am pretty sure I said back then I'd be ok with either Monahan or Lindholm at that spot.

Lindholm made strides last year and I had hoped he would break out this year, but there's still time for him.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I like watching lindholm play but am still perplexed about picking him over monahan. He seemed like the most Rutherford-y pick

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I don't recall exactly, but wasn't the general thinking back then was that Monahan was the "safe" JR type pick and a lot of posters wanted Nichushkin at the time? I'm too lazy to check.

I do remember a draft video of Rutherford back then trying to make a trade for Jones, and when that didn't work out, he turned to either Francis or MacDonald and said something to the effect of "Well, were going to get your guy". I just can't remember who he said that to. Does anyone else remember that?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Yep, I remember that.

And I wanted Nichushkin. Would have been fine with Monahan and was fine with Lindholm, just viewed Nuke as the kind of game breaking PF that we haven't had in a long time. The one thing I didn't want was Nurse (at 5), no offense to him but he was just a clear tier below the top 5, Lindholm, and Nichushkin to me.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I don't recall exactly, but wasn't the general thinking back then was that Monahan was the "safe" JR type pick and a lot of posters wanted Nichushkin at the time? I'm too lazy to check.

I do remember a draft video of Rutherford back then trying to make a trade for Jones, and when that didn't work out, he turned to either Francis or MacDonald and said something to the effect of "Well, were going to get your guy". I just can't remember who he said that to. Does anyone else remember that?

I always read into that, along with the concerted effort to trade the pick, that JR thought someone might move up to take Monahan who I'm not sure he was all that high on.

You can read the "We're going to get your guy." two ways...they're happy Lindholm's there at #5 or with the resignation that they missed out on the guys he wanted and they're going with the default selection (Lindholm) they disagree on, as there is no other considered option (edit: meaning they'd already decided "not Monahan") on the board.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
You can read the "We're going to get your guy." two ways...they're happy Lindholm's there at #5 or with the resignation that they missed out on the guys he wanted and they're going with the default selection (Lindholm) they disagree on, as there is no other considered option (edit: meaning they'd already decided "not Monahan") on the board.

Yeah, good point. I always read into it that they really wanted to trade up and get Jones, but after the top 4, Lindholm was a guy that Francis/MacDonald really liked above the rest.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Another one here in the boat of wanting Nuke. Didn't understand why we passed on him at the time.

I sure hope Lindholm gets his **** together, otherwise we might be screwed over.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Lindy slowly seems to be coming around here recently. I'm certainly not ready to pine for other players that we could have picked, make judgments about shying away from Euros, or come to the conclusion that Lindy is no good. I would not be surprised if he comes around in a big way before the end of the year. And players do develop at different paces. Not that long ago Skinner would have been rated ahead of a few players from his draft class that he probably isn't now. Time will tell where Lindy ultimately ends up.

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
It probably would've helped if JR hadn't done to Lindholm what he's doing to Daniel Sprong his rookie season.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Maybe that's a factor, but to me, a player is either good enough to overcome things like that or he's not. Plenty of players have been rushed that were good enough to turn it around. Lindholm certainly improved last year, and before the year is out, may have improved even after a rough start this year. We just have to hope that some decent recent play leads to a whole lot of confidence for him. But even if this year turns out to be a disappointment, it's not over yet. Just look at a guy like Rask that's still developing with a couple of years on Lindholm.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I was hoping for nurse, but knew no one was going to take him that high. I was fine with not taking nichuskin and still am. Lindy was the obvious pick at that spot. Didn't philly have him at number two or something?

Us throwing him into the mix at 18 slowed his growth is my honest opinion. He can still get there but it's going to take longer it seems. He's still way too young to get worried about. Nurse is just starting to play this year, and we're worried about Lindy at the same age?

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
I always thought we passed on Monahan because JR thought we were set at center with the Staal's, and Lindholm played some as a winger. He was who I was hoping for. He was drawing comparisons to Eric, and he may have been seen as safe, but McDavid was a safe pick as well.

And the fact that Monahan and Lindholm were ranked equal is exactly my point. Two equally ranked players, and the NA skater has the clear advantage.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
The thing with Lindholm's development, is that he did. His 19yo year was a nice step forward. So I'm not buying the 'ruined him' stuff. Hopefully, he just came out of the gate slow, and will get going now.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
I wanted Lindholm but thought he was misused his first season. I think he needs talent around him to be most effective so putting him on a 3rd line with nobodies isn't exactly going to send his development in the direction we need. That type of approach would have worked better with Monahan or Nuke.

It sorta leads into a rebuilding/drafting philosophy I'd like to explore. The ideal rebuild draft order in my opinion would be D then O for the simple reason that it takes longer to develop D. This not only helps sustain the tank longer, thus ensuring more choice and flexibility on draft day but helps the bottom line as the prospects will demand less money. After D then draft O. If your lucky both prospect pools peak at the same time and you might find yourself in a deep playoff run before new contracts ruin your team.

I understand drafts don't really work this way and we will take whatever talent we feel is superior at our given draft position but its what I tell myself when I wish we had Nylander or Ehlers instead of Fluery.

Last edited:

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
We need to call up coach Quenneville and tell him running a dynasty must be getting boring and to cement the fact that he is a better coach than Babs and go down as a LEGEND he needs to coach the hurricanes to a cup before the leafs make it. He will of course accept because he wants to get his hands dirty and work hard and he is STRAWNG!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad