Are we rebuilding?

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
I think we're going through not just a rebuild (retool according to RF) of the roster, but also of the entire organization. We're seeing (hopefully) the PK-JR era of constant missing the playoffs except for an occasional successful run (highlighted by the Cup win) come to a close. I don't really think we enter the new era until PK sells the team though.

To get on what you're talking about, I agree. No one wants it, but everyone knows it's what's needed. RF says you can rebuild while making the playoffs like Calgary or Ottawa did, but I disagree. We need top 5 picks, especially in this draft. Problem is, rebuilds are painful, especially for a franchise with a 6 season playoff drought and averaging 9k in attendance. A playoff run might help interest, but for this year it wouldn't be sustainable and would hurt the future. I think to help interest we need a consistent winner (obvious) but also a new owner and maybe a rebrand.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
A new owner would help a decent bit. With some of the (almost entirely baseless) speculation out there people are going to be a bit gunshy about throwing money at a ticket package when they have no idea what the long term outlook for the team remaining in this market is. What we need is our own Jeff Vinik... which sucks because he actually would have been an ideal candidate for taking over for PK considering his connection to the area in Duke.

But yeah, the further we slip from playoff contention the more obvious the moves become to make. We need more first round draft picks over the next draft or two, and really REALLY could use the ****ing ping pong balls being on our side for once instead of constantly gifting Pittsburgh or Edmonton top picks.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
The plan is that PK is really a demon overlord who wants to bathe in a river of our tears.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Guys give us Eric Staal..... whatever it takes...... I don't care anymore, we need Staal.

Really, WHATEVER it takes? Forsberg. :naughty:

Seriously though, my guess is that the asking price will be something akin to a 1st and a good (forward) prospect/young player.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Makes sense...what should be coming back though? Player, prospect, and pick? Maybe something like Calle Jarnkrok, Kevin Fiala, and a 1st?

Maybe that's a bit of an overpayment for a rental? We're never sure if he wants to sign here although Lavy is here and they have a successful history.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Just some random thinking, I think Lindholm could spell the end of Eric Staal's time in Carolina.

If Elias had developed better (although there's still time), the offense wouldn't be nearly as grim heading into 16-17 with a bit of money to spend to better fill out the roster. But now it looks like we'll be looking to the 2016 draft class to be a big part of the solution, which pushes back the 'maybe good offense' time table to 18-19? That's a few years into an Eric Staal contract that is likely to have better value early rather than late. I think you ditch Eric, piece meal something together for a couple years Panthers style, and then have another cap freeing event scheduled for 18-19 or 19-20.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
But now it looks like we'll be looking to the 2016 draft class to be a big part of the solution, which pushes back the 'maybe good offense' time table to 18-19? That's a few years into an Eric Staal contract that is likely to have better value early rather than late. I think you ditch Eric, piece meal something together for a couple years Panthers style, and then have another cap freeing event scheduled for 18-19 or 19-20.

That's kinda what I'm thinking also Wally.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Kevin Fiala + Ryan Ellis + Eric Nystrom (cap dump) + 2016 2nd for Eric Staal (signed) ? First offer, we'll start from here.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Maybe that's a bit of an overpayment for a rental? We're never sure if he wants to sign here although Lavy is here and they have a successful history.

I gotta say, I'd love to see Eric go to the Preds. It'd be fun to cheer for another redneck hockey team to make a deep run, and it would be nice to see Eric be a part of it.

Re: the original question, though -- the Canes are obviously rebuilding. Coming into every season, there's been "Plan A" and "Plan B". Plan A: put together a playoff run. Plan B: fearlessly trade assets for highest value. Last year, it became obvious that Plan A was a non-starter, so we moved to plan B and got a great return. Now this year, it's becoming obvious that Plan A isn't working, so when the deadline comes we'll get more great assets. It's not inconceivable that we could end up with three firsts and three seconds this year. Even if two of the firsts end up being in the 20s, that's still a *tremendous* pipeline.

I think there's good reason to be optimistic in the long term.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
Kevin Fiala + Ryan Ellis + Eric Nystrom (cap dump) + 2016 2nd for Eric Staal (signed) ? First offer, we'll start from here.

How about Fiala + Jarnkrok + Nystrom + Conditional Pick (2nd but escalates to 1st if signed).

It's rich for a rental, but I think if they move E.Staal, there will be enough buying interest to get close to this...eating Nystrom's salary and lowering the base pick to a 2nd should make it more palatable.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Francis should jump on this now. Poile (Nashville's GM) has shown public interest in Staal in the past and the Preds are absolutely flailing on offense.

(Jarnkrok or 1st) + Fiala + Cap Dump (Nystrom)
for
Staal

Works for me, I'd say that is a conservative valuation. Doubt the Canes would even have to retain which puts an extra $5+ million in PK's pocket this year.

I also agree that I'd love to root for Nashville these Playoffs. I think Staal could put them over the edge.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Forget Jarnkok.

Small'ish mid 20's forwards yet to show NHL talent are what we're trying to get away from. In a perfect world, we'll have 0 of those on the team next year.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
As far as picks are concerned, I like the contingent 1st if he signs, 2nd if he doesn't. But I still think he could pull a 1st+ at the TDL, no contingency.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Unless he exercises his NMC, a player like Staal at the deadline should easily garner a 1st and a good prospect/young player. If someone wants to pry him away before the deadline, RF shouldn't take a lesser deal (ie..a contingent pick). Teams that are trading for a guy like E. Staal at the deadline aren't really worried about re-signing him, they think they can do some major damage in the playoffs so they are going all in and that's more important to them than a late first round pick.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Considering the new lottery, the ramifications of this team having three first round picks is pretty huge.

The new lottery likely won't have any impact on that (and the ramifications likely won't be any different than any other year). Those additional 1st round picks will likley be from playoff teams that are not eligible for the lottery.

Kings, and whoever Staal might be traded to are likely going to make the playoffs.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
The new lottery likely won't have any impact on that (and the ramifications likely won't be any different than any other year). Those additional 1st round picks will likley be from playoff teams that are not eligible for the lottery.

Kings, and whoever Staal might be traded to are likely going to make the playoffs.

well, certainly not w/ that attitude they won't

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad