Are we rebuilding?

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
? I'm confused, that's what you said.

So what is it you were trying to say then? Not picking on you, just trying to understand.

I was just pointing out that, at a month and a half into the season, you're already guaranteeing LA as a playoff team is all. They might, but I will root for them not too and seven game win streak or w/e it was aside, they haven't been all that impressive.

Hell, even this team will probably have a run of 5 or 6 at some point because sometimes it just happens.

All you have to do is Bo-lieve

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I was just pointing out that, at a month and a half into the season, you're already guaranteeing LA as a playoff team is all. They might, but I will root for them not too and seven game win streak or w/e it was aside, they haven't been all that impressive.

I didn't guarantee anything, I said it was LIKELY and I think the majority of people would agree with that. Of course there is a lot of the season left and they could still miss the playoffs, but I think it's more silly to count on it (as you did in your post), but hey, maybe I'm just tend to be more realistic. Re: Staal. If we trade Eric for a 1st, it again is likely he's going to a playoff team, as why would he waive his NMC if it wasn't?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have multiple lottery picks, I just don't see it happening (but would love to be proven wrong on this).

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
What is the max you would be willing to pay Staal if he re signed?

Still think the best option is trade him at deadline for pick and prospect, then resign for 4-5 years at much lower $$$.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I originally felt that trading him at the deadline and re-signing him would be good, but I think I'm ready to move on. JR hitched his wagon to the Staal/Staal/Ward wagon and that hasn't worked out. Not solely their fault, as the team lacks talent but 1/3rd of the team's total salary is tied up in those 3 guys and 2 of them are on the wrong side of 30.

IF we did re-sign him, I'd rather it be for a short term (2 years) and not any longer than that. If he wants too much money or too long of a term, time to cut ties. I've been in the camp with Bleed that whereever he does sign, it's going to be for more money than a lot of us expect, so I hope it's not here. If it is here, then I hope it isn't for very long.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013

Hell, even this team will probably have a run of 5 or 6 at some point because sometimes it just happens.

All you have to do is Bo-lieve

Ok, you're obviously just drunk at this point.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
:laugh:

I'm too lazy to look it up, but when was the last time the Canes had a 6 game winning streak? Last year I recall a 3 or 4 game streak to start November, but I don't think there were any longer than that last year.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
If that's where they end up, I doubt they move the pick. I don't think it's a consensus that Chychrun is better than others at that spot and as you said, it's early and will likely change.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Matthews, Puljujarvi, Laine, Chychrun, and Tkachuk are all monsters. The top-5 is very good this year. Fairly comparable to last year.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I know virtually nothing beyond Matthews in this draft, but if BPA is a d-man, it'd be one of the few times I'd say to go for need.

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles

My thoughts exactly.

Maybe if all the stars align perfectly and we play all the teams we dominate in a row like Leafs, Panthers, and Islanders. And maybe bring the Atlanta Thrashers back for good measure.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I think he means that 2nd tier below McDavid/Eichel/Matthews is comparable, which it might be.

Obviously there isn't a McDavid but Matthews has been just as good if not better than Eichel at every level. But yes, I was thinking more along the lines of where the Canes will likely pick at 3-5. Let's face it, they aren't ever winning a lottery (picks 1-3 this year) even if they finish last.

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
Guess is that after Matthews, Francis would want Puljujarvi. Probably knows him pretty well. He's definitely seen him play live and he's probably been told things from Karpat's manager, Aho's dad

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Guess is that after Matthews, Francis would want Puljujarvi. Probably knows him pretty well. He's definitely seen him play live and he's probably been told things from Karpat's manager, Aho's dad

I hope not. Not discrediting Puljujarvi, but there's something to be said about drafting a North American who plays more games and is already accustomed to the smaller ice. I wonder if watch what Lindholm's going through might've soured Francis on the Euros.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I hope not. Not discrediting Puljujarvi, but there's something to be said about drafting a North American who plays more games and is already accustomed to the smaller ice. I wonder if watch what Lindholm's going through might've soured Francis on the Euros.

So you pass on Matthews or is he North American enough to overcome his playing in the Swiss league?

Give equal tier, Tkachuk or maybe Jones/Macleod depending on how they finish, I can see an argument. But NA bias is how steals like Forsberg and Tarasenko drop. Canes aren't competing in the next 2-3 years anyway, they have time to wait.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad