Speculation: Are Vancouver Canucks going to be Buyers or Sellers?

What will they be?

• Buyers

• Sellers

Results are only viewable after voting.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
goalies that were traded for 1st round picks in the last decade was

Cory Schneider for a 9th pick. 27 year old

Freddy Anderson for the 30th pick and a 2nd rounder the following year. Anderson will be 27 year old when this trade is made....

Demko is currently 24, to be fair he is a better goalie then Schneider at the same age....

anyways I am hoping for a Schnedier like return, I guess come to think of it, if a team is willing to offer us a late 1st rounder and another 2nd rounder I guess I wouldn't mind that either. Its just that we drafted him with the 36th pick, invested lots of time in grooming his game, developing him in hopes he be our starter and all of that was for nothing, kinda sad.
Schneider has 128 NHL starts under his belt and was one of the best in the Jessie when he was traded. His final year in Vancouver he had a 2.11 goals against average and a .927 save percentage. He had a .936 save percentage the season before.

Demko has a whole 25 starts with a GAA of 3.09 and a Sv% of .903. There is no way in hell a team gives up top 10 first for him. Especially when you look at the list of goalies who are UFA this summer. (There are far better goalies available for cap space alone. No need to give up an asset to get them)

Reactions: someguy44

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Schneider has 128 NHL starts under his belt and was one of the best in the Jessie when he was traded. His final year in Vancouver he had a 2.11 goals against average and a .927 save percentage. He had a .936 save percentage the season before.

Demko has a whole 25 starts with a GAA of 3.09 and a Sv% of .903. There is no way in hell a team gives up top 10 first for him. Especially when you look at the list of goalies who are UFA this summer. (There are far better goalies available for cap space alone. No need to give up an asset to get them)

I'm not getting where this gigantic goalie controversy is coming from in Vancouver? Markstrom is a descent start, but not the kind of guy you put in net for 70+ games a season. He needs a solid backup. Demko has not established himself as a starter.

Why not just keep both and use Demko as the back/up. Maybe once Demko becomes an actual NHL starter, you consider moving one.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
I'm not getting where this gigantic goalie controversy is coming from in Vancouver? Markstrom is a descent start, but not the kind of guy you put in net for 70+ games a season. He needs a solid backup. Demko has not established himself as a starter.

Why not just keep both and use Demko as the back/up. Maybe once Demko becomes an actual NHL starter, you consider moving one.
I agree. I was just providing some insight for a guy who thinks Demko is worth a top 10 pick. He’s not

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

Schneider has less than 90 NHL starts when traded

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
I think we are a seller...…..

Out...……... Stecher, Sutter, and Schaller

Stecher can be replaced from within. (Benn/Rafferty/Fantenburg) ………...Value 3rd Rounder

Sutter has been injured and what the Canucks have achieved is without him...…..Value 4th Rounder

Schaller....grinder who has had a better year...…..Value 5 Rounder

A goaltender will be traded at next years TDL unless someone offers a 1st for Demko

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
I think we are a seller...…..

Out...……... Stecher, Sutter, and Schaller

Stecher can be replaced from within. (Benn/Rafferty/Fantenburg) ………...Value 3rd Rounder

Sutter has been injured and what the Canucks have achieved is without him...…..Value 4th Rounder

Schaller....grinder who has had a better year...…..Value 5 Rounder

A goaltender will be traded at next years TDL unless someone offers a 1st for Demko
You need buyers to be sellers. Tough when all you’re offering is thrift store crap

Reactions: someguy44

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Thye will be buyers but shouldn't be. Lack of cap space this and next season, the Central teams will destroy the Pacific teams in the playoffs, and lacking D prospects to fill in for when Tanev and Edler regress or leave.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Schaller has zero value, could be placed on waivers and I doubt he's claimed. Sutter won't fetch more than a conditional late pick unless we retain salary. Tanev and Markstrom are our chips if we sell which Benning won't. Should be able to get a 2nd round pick for each of them + conditional picks on them re-signingor finals/cup victory. Stetcher won't be traded or qualified because Benning doesn't believe or have any concept of asset management.

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
Neither no cap space. If anything potentially a latteral move if some team wants to take a flyer on Baertchi or someone else.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Thye will be buyers but shouldn't be. Lack of cap space this and next season, the Central teams will destroy the Pacific teams in the playoffs, and lacking D prospects to fill in for when Tanev and Edler regress or leave.
The big 3 in the central are tough. But the pacific would not face the central barring a wildcard matchup until round 3. Canucks would do backflips if they got that far.

Reactions: 420Canuck

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I would expect some minor moves. Probably depends on whether Leivo is coming back before playoffs because if not they might target a top6 RW.
Defensively Dumba would be a massive move that would cost a lot of young assets and probably a 1st which we don't have. Can't see that move with Tanev still here either.

Could see a Bogosian for Baertschi type move if Buffalo is interested in retaining a winger for a season

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I’d be intrigued to read your projected 2020/21 Canucks lineup.

I don't think you are going to see a ton of turnover on the roster. I think they walk away/trade/trade with sweeteners: Sutter, Baertschi, Eriksson, Stecher, schaller, fantenberg. They will likely need to deal some picks/prospects, or take back a bad deal to make that happen.

I think the hope would be to sign/trade for a top 6 forward in ythe offseason to push Pearson to the 3rd and Roussel to the 4th, and fill the bottom pair D with our prospects.

my 2021 roster
Miller-Pettersson-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-Virtanen
Ferland-Gaudette-Roussel
Motte-Beagle-Leivo

Edler-Myers
Hughes-Tanev
Benn/Tryamkin/Rafferty/Brisebois/Joulevi

Markstrom
Demko

Canucks have a very good young core, and some quality prospects still to come. Their key guys are seeing huge improvement this year, I expect that they have not peaked yet and will continue to get better. They need time though. I expect that this year they remain in the playoff hunt till the end, I could see them winning the division, or missing altogether, it is that tight in the Pacific. Next year I would expect to see another step up and pretty comfortably get in.

Benning gets his heat, and has made his errors for sure, but he has done a fantastic job of setting his core up for a long run of success.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I don't think you are going to see a ton of turnover on the roster. I think they walk away/trade/trade with sweeteners: Sutter, Baertschi, Eriksson, Stecher, schaller, fantenberg. They will likely need to deal some picks/prospects, or take back a bad deal to make that happen.

I think the hope would be to sign/trade for a top 6 forward in ythe offseason to push Pearson to the 3rd and Roussel to the 4th, and fill the bottom pair D with our prospects.

my 2021 roster
Miller-Pettersson-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-Virtanen
Ferland-Gaudette-Roussel
Motte-Beagle-Leivo

Edler-Myers
Hughes-Tanev
Benn/Tryamkin/Rafferty/Brisebois/Joulevi

Markstrom
Demko

Canucks have a very good young core, and some quality prospects still to come. Their key guys are seeing huge improvement this year, I expect that they have not peaked yet and will continue to get better. They need time though. I expect that this year they remain in the playoff hunt till the end, I could see them winning the division, or missing altogether, it is that tight in the Pacific. Next year I would expect to see another step up and pretty comfortably get in.

Benning gets his heat, and has made his errors for sure, but he has done a fantastic job of setting his core up for a long run of success.
How much money are you allocating to Markstrom, Tanev, Virtanen, Leivo, Gaudette, and Motte? My guess is just to return these players, you're paying ~$7m more than you paid for them this year.

How are you getting rid of Baertchi, Eriksson and Sutter.

The Canucks have a very good 4 piece core, their #1 goalie is a UFA, 4 of the 6 defensman are over 30.

I asked the previous poster that question, because it seems like people who state those things don't actually pay attention to the salary cap.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I would expect some minor moves. Probably depends on whether Leivo is coming back before playoffs because if not they might target a top6 RW.
Defensively Dumba would be a massive move that would cost a lot of young assets and probably a 1st which we don't have. Can't see that move with Tanev still here either.

Could see a Bogosian for Baertschi type move if Buffalo is interested in retaining a winger for a season
They've got plenty of future 1st. If it made sense to trade one for Miller, why wouldn't it make sense to move another one for Dumba.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
They've got plenty of future 1st. If it made sense to trade one for Miller, why wouldn't it make sense to move another one for Dumba.
By the off season maybe if we can settle the Miller deal. I would want to see Rafferty and Tryamkin before handing over likely a 1st 2021 and one of Lind/Hoglander/Madden/Demko/Gaudette.

Ristolainen out of Buffalo is another player i would inquire about.

With Seattle coming i would think teams will be a bit more pro active this time around and it would be a good time to get someone who may have not been available otherwise also

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
By the off season maybe if we can settle the Miller deal. I would want to see Rafferty and Tryamkin before handing over likely a 1st 2021 and one of Lind/Hoglander/Madden/Demko/Gaudette.

Ristolainen out of Buffalo is another player i would inquire about.

With Seattle coming i would think teams will be a bit more pro active this time around and it would be a good time to get someone who may have not been available otherwise also
I just don't see a world where either of those guys makes an iota of difference to acquiring a legitimate top 4 defensman. Dumba and Tryamkin are both 1994's, Rafferty is a 1995.

They might as well go for it.....these half way measures are only going to get you part way there. The pacific is ripe for the taking. Adding Dumba makes the team increasingly better in the short term, and as I was told all summer long....it's going to take 3-4 years for that 1st rounder to make an impact. Horvat's only got 3 years left, they better look to maximize that, and the best way to do that is make a splash while QH and EP are on ELC's.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
How much money are you allocating to Markstrom, Tanev, Virtanen, Leivo, Gaudette, and Motte? My guess is just to return these players, you're paying ~$7m more than you paid for them this year.

How are you getting rid of Baertchi, Eriksson and Sutter.

The Canucks have a very good 4 piece core, their #1 goalie is a UFA, 4 of the 6 defensman are over 30.

I asked the previous poster that question, because it seems like people who state those things don't actually pay attention to the salary cap.

Markstrom- 3x 5.75, no no movement clauses (may be exposed to Seattle depending on Demko/Dipietro's development over the next year)
Tanev- 3x5, no no movement clauses
Virtanen- 2 or 3x 3
Gaudette, Motte- 2x1.75 bridge deals
Leivo 2x2

I think you are pretty close with your +$7 mil #.

Sutter and Baertschi likely return very little, but probably don't cost a ton to move with some salary retention. They are on expiring deals and could help some lower end team fill out their roster or get to the cap floor. Eriksson will be a high cap hit, low cash cost player after July 1. He will hurt to move. May even be him at 50% and Hoglander.

Which one of Hughes, Miller, Horvat, Boeser, EP is not in your 4 player core?

Markstrom being UFA isn't a huge deal in my eyes. He has a ton of value to the Canucks, but I don't think is going to get a massive long term deal elsewhere. He is a top 15 NHL starter.

4 D over 30? Yes, but 2 of them that you are counting are 29 and 30 right now. Not exactly over the hill. Edler is our only D that is up there in age, and even still is only 33. Benn is replacement level, so not worried about him.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Sutter and Baertschi likely return very little, but probably don't cost a ton to move with some salary retention. They are on expiring deals and could help some lower end team fill out their roster or get to the cap floor. Eriksson will be a high cap hit, low cash cost player after July 1. He will hurt to move. May even be him at 50% and Hoglander.

Wait... you are retaining salary? With what cap?

There are no more "lower end teams" looking to fill out their roster or get to the cap floor. Teams want sweeteners like 1sts. I think you are being very optimistic on Canucks cap situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad