Speculation: Are Vancouver Canucks going to be Buyers or Sellers?

What will they be?

• Buyers

• Sellers

Results are only viewable after voting.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
one of your least favorite teams, yet you've been to already 5 games..... right.......
I post pics of every game I go to check my post history lol
rthiekn.png

Other 2 were on my uncles account
I’ll post pics from all of them if you want ;) I am a big hockey fan I go watch lots of junior hockey too even though I’m not necessarily a “fan” of any of those teams

Reactions: lawrence

Sasquatchbreath

Oct 7, 2019
sad but true, I love Demko, but there is no way Seattle is not taking him if he's exposed, sad. but the price.... not sure

A Freddy Andersen like return maybe, i am not sure. Maybe less because he isnt as established as Andersen was. But Demko has a high pedigree and potential to turn into a #1. Dont want to trade him either but the writing is on the wall. He is a nice trade chip to add something that moves the needle to an up and coming young team.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I post pics of every game I go to check my post history lol
rthiekn.png

Other 2 were on my uncles account
I’ll post pics from all of them if you want ;) I am a big hockey fan I go watch lots of junior hockey too even though I’m not necessarily a “fan” of any of those teams

damn man those are awesome games to be at actually.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
like what though? We can't afford a 2nd liner and we have a lot of depth in our bottom 6. Goldy, Sven, Lind, aren't bad ahl options either.

Maybe a depth defensemen but even then OJ or Brisebois can fill that 9th option. Isn't tryamkin an option after the nhl season?

I honestly think we won't do anything.

I don't disagree but its a long season and there's probably going to be injuries or guys that go cold and then you have a clearer picture of where to add

Reactions: Cucumber

lawrence

May 19, 2012
A Freddy Andersen like return maybe, i am not sure. Maybe less because he isnt as established as Andersen was. But Demko has a high pedigree and potential to turn into a #1. Dont want to trade him either but the writing is on the wall. He is a nice trade chip to add something that moves the needle to an up and coming young team.

goalies that were traded for 1st round picks in the last decade was

Cory Schneider for a 9th pick. 27 year old

Freddy Anderson for the 30th pick and a 2nd rounder the following year. Anderson will be 27 year old when this trade is made....

Demko is currently 24, to be fair he is a better goalie then Schneider at the same age....

anyways I am hoping for a Schnedier like return, I guess come to think of it, if a team is willing to offer us a late 1st rounder and another 2nd rounder I guess I wouldn't mind that either. Its just that we drafted him with the 36th pick, invested lots of time in grooming his game, developing him in hopes he be our starter and all of that was for nothing, kinda sad.

Sasquatchbreath

Oct 7, 2019
goalies that were traded for 1st round picks in the last decade was

Cory Schneider for a 9th pick. 27 year old

Freddy Anderson for the 30th pick and a 2nd rounder the following year. Anderson will be 27 year old when this trade is made....

Demko is currently 24, to be fair he is a better goalie then Schneider at the same age....

anyways I am hoping for a Schnedier like return, I guess come to think of it, if a team is willing to offer us a late 1st rounder and another 2nd rounder I guess I wouldn't mind that either. Its just that we drafted him with the 36th pick, invested lots of time in grooming his game, developing him in hopes he be our starter and all of that was for nothing, kinda sad.

I would take futures for him too. It does make sense. Benning is on record as saying he wants to recoup a 1st for the one he traded. He has also said he wants to resign Markstrom and the player has also said he wants to stay. Dipietro is in the system and if Markstrom is resigned to a 4 or 5 year deal it sets up Dipietro to take over the job almost perfectly. I think the Yotes 1st from Jersey and Jerseys 2nd in 21 i would do. I would prefer the 2nd this year but that looks to be a pretty high pick.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
I’m from Vancouver so I follow the team. Most my friends & family are Canucks fans and I’m a fan of hockey in general so I like being able to keep up with them in hockey conversations which typically center around the Canucks. I’ve been to 5 game’s this year & 8 last year, so I’d describe myself as a follower of the team even though they’re one of my least favorite teams in the league :laugh:
Why do you post on the Vancouver board then?

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
they are gonna sell a few pieces. i think and add some depth. ala pearson/gudbranson deal. with them not retaining. maybe sven for ahl depth. stecher for a similar 6/7dman to fill in case of injuries.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'd say probably neither buyers nor sellers really. Can't really afford to go "all in" with big moves right now. But can't afford to start selling pieces and miss the playoffs either.

They'll be, "tinkerers".

Make a few little depth swaps here and there maybe, and roll with the punches.

Reactions: Channelcat

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
He will be available 100 percent. We wont carry 2 goalies through expansion and Demko is worth a fair bit on the market.

Benning is only thinking about the short term. Three possible (Benning) outcomes:
  • He keeps both goalies through July 1, and loses Markstrom (to Calgary?) as a UFA.
  • He trades Demko for a gritty third liner before we even have Markstrom under contract, necessitating a severe contract over-payment.
  • Signs Markstrom to a NMC through expansion, we lose Demko for nothing.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Benning is only thinking about the short term. Three possible (Benning) outcomes:
  • He keeps both goalies through July 1, and loses Markstrom (to Calgary?) as a UFA.
  • He trades Demko for a gritty third liner before we even have Markstrom under contract, necessitating a severe contract over-payment.
Demko's future will depend on the contract that Markstrom gets. If it contains movement protection, Demko is likely gone before the Expansion Draft. Makes zero sense for the Canucks to trade assets to try to keep both guys as Demko after the ED will have 2 years left before UFA, and Dipietro will have had 2 years in the AHL. So, really, they'd get another year out of their duo before they have to make a move anyways, so instead of being ahead because they moved a goalie, they would be net zero because they would only get back approximately what they give up to protect their goalies from the ED.

With multiple bad contracts on the books for next season, and the potential for rookie bonuses to count $3 million against next year's cap from this season, if another team like Detroit make a big $6 mill plus per offer to Markstrom, Canucks might in tough to match it.

No signs point to the Canucks selling. Something catastrophic would have to occur to drop them way down in the standings, which is unlikely because then all of the other teams around would need to play well to separate themselves from the Canucks in the playoff race.

Sasquatchbreath

Oct 7, 2019

Those are all possible sure. I do think he will be available at the draft though. I guess we will see what happens.

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
These are the only type of moves that Benning seems to be able to wrap his head around so it wouldn't be surprising.
I could see some lateral movement, a 1 for 1 type depth deal where we might have something we don't need for something similar another team doesn't need but fills depth we do need, although I have no clue what that might be.

Copenhagen91

Jan 28, 2016
Benning doesn’t believe his team is out of it if they are within 4-5 points by the TDL. Thus he doesn’t sell.
You also have to remember the sentiment from ownership is money over long term results. Aquaman has never and will never fully commit to a rebuild because no playoffs = no playoff revenue. It’s widely known that ownership is among the more meddlesome groups in the league. It’s been speculated as a reason why Trevor Linden left, is because he wanted a full rebuild and ownership didn’t.

Not completely trying to defend Benning, but he can’t be solely to blame for the direction the team has taken.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Neither. Lack cap space and no clear assets to use. Already dealt a third last season and owe a future first for Miller.

Benning spent to the max in the summer and has limited leeway in cap space.

next 16-18 games will be interesting.

Past few years it’s always been right after the ASG that they have gone in the gutter into the TDL then their play picks up in the final dozen games.
They have plenty of assets, the premise of this post is ridiculous

They will look for a depth veteran centre, or a depth veteran defenseman

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
Huh? Check my post history I post 99% in the Rangers one, I only recall posting pics of the Canucks games I go to in the Canucks one, talking about my disdain for JT Bozo Miller or my love for Shotgun Jake
JT Miller has been incredible for us. He’s 10 times the player jake is

Reactions: Canucks LB

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They have plenty of assets, the premise of this post is ridiculous

They will look for a depth veteran centre, or a depth veteran defenseman
Depth at C probably filled once Sutter finally returns. Guy has missed close to 2 full seasons of the nearly 5 he’s been here. Would finally give them 5 centres.

more likely move is on D.

These have to be pure depth moves as opposed to a legit scoring winger which was what I always referring them not being able to afford given that the future D needs work. They’ve already move picks during the Benning era plus some of their picks have not planned out as expected.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
You also have to remember the sentiment from ownership is money over long term results. Aquaman has never and will never fully commit to a rebuild because no playoffs = no playoff revenue. It’s widely known that ownership is among the more meddlesome groups in the league. It’s been speculated as a reason why Trevor Linden left, is because he wanted a full rebuild and ownership didn’t.

Not completely trying to defend Benning, but he can’t be solely to blame for the direction the team has taken.
2 ways to improve the bottom line. Increase revenue or reduce costs. They are spending more than the cap in real cash with how they have structured the contracts of their veterans. But failed to miss the playoffs.
Clearly could have achieved similar results not handing out ridiculous contracts and saved several million.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad