Speculation: Are Vancouver Canucks going to be Buyers or Sellers?

What will they be?

• Buyers

• Sellers

Results are only viewable after voting.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
I'd wager "neither" to be honest.
I feel like they're too early along in their rebuild to be buyers this time around. Keep those draft picks and add to an already very good young core.

Conversely, who do the Canucks even have to "sell" at this point? Markstrom I suppose as he's a pending UFA.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
They don’t have the cap space to make moves without moving out some of their anchor contract (Ericksson, Baertschi, to some degree Sutter)

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Didn’t they move their 1st in the Miller deal? I’d be shocked if they aren’t buyers for lower end depth guys at the deadline. They don’t want that pick to end up top 15 I’d imagine, would be tough look on the org if the intention was a “late” 1st for Miller turns into a lottery pick

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I think you have to add neutral as an option. They may try to get another depth forward and/or a more rugged D (could be Tryamkin), but I don't expect them to pay much in the way of assets. Their only UFAs are Schaller (who will walk), Tanev (resign, or let walk, but is too key to a playoff puch to trade), Fantenberg (good depth for the stretch, may be resigned), Markstrom (will be resigned).

Stecher is really the only trade piece of value that I could see going out, but he won't get a big haul.

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
Didn’t they move their 1st in the Miller deal? I’d be shocked if they aren’t buyers for lower end depth guys at the deadline. They don’t want that pick to end up top 15 I’d imagine, would be tough look on the org if the intention was a “late” 1st for Miller turns into a lottery pick

Conditional. So if we miss the playoffs it rolls to next year

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014

The 1st is conditional. If they kiss the playoffs this year they keep the 1st this year and give up next years 1st. If they make the playoffs this year they give up this years 1st

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I think they stand pat and see what happens. They already traded away their first this year, probably don’t want to ship out any other major assets.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Neither. Lack cap space and no clear assets to use. Already dealt a third last season and owe a future first for Miller.

Benning spent to the max in the summer and has limited leeway in cap space.

next 16-18 games will be interesting.

Past few years it’s always been right after the ASG that they have gone in the gutter into the TDL then their play picks up in the final dozen games.

Reactions: BHD

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Canucks have never sold once under the Benning regime other than when their hand was forced by Vegas expansion and even then there were some reports that Linden had to force it on Benning.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
They’re essentially the leafs from the 16-17 season, just without a first rd pick. If by the deadline they’re out of it I think whatever ufas aren’t in the plans get moved, and if they’re in maybe you move a 2-3rd round pick to shore up a hole in the line up, but I don’t think there’s to be any big game hunting here

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
I could see some lateral movement, a 1 for 1 type depth deal where we might have something we don't need for something similar another team doesn't need but fills depth we do need, although I have no clue what that might be.

Reactions: krutovsdonut

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
They’re essentially the leafs from the 16-17 season, just without a first rd pick. If by the deadline they’re out of it I think whatever ufas aren’t in the plans get moved, and if they’re in maybe you move a 2-3rd round pick to shore up a hole in the line up, but I don’t think there’s to be any big game hunting here

You make it sound so easy :laugh:

...oh wait actually it is, unless you're Jim Benning.

But like others have said Benning isn't going to sell, this is the closes he's been apart from year 1 and he's never been able to properly sell anyways, and the team is too limited in assets and room that there's not much buying we can do. Maybe acquire a depth dman for a late pick or something, but can't see much more than that.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Jim Benning's said in interviews that he'd like to evaluate the team when they're fully healthy. Adding Josh Leivo, Micheal Ferland, and Brandon Sutter back into the fold improves team depth, as well as college prospects like Tyler Madden, Will Lockwood, and Jack Rathbone/Aidan Mcdonough (possibly), is likely what the Canucks are willing to go w/ this year unless they can consolidate assets. Hopefully players in the farm get some games in as well, such as Brogan Rafferty, Olli Juolevi, and Kole Lind.

If any roster players get pushed down the depth chart, they likely get dealt if another team's interested.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
They don't have their first, so logic is they should buy... But they don't have the team to make any noise this year, so to they would be smart to sell.

My guess is they do nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad