Are the Toronto Maple Leafs Stanley Cup contenders?

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
The core 4 are just too soft, another mediocre year in the books, I guess they're gonna wait for Tavares to be off the books to get a D man, but honestly one of the 3 should be gone this off season.

If a good year from Marner, career year from Nylander and 70 goals from Matthews aren't good enough to be at the top of the league, the core is severely flawed, as already seen by their previous playoff failures.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Any goalie can get hot, including a guy like Woll.

You’re saying if they play this exact tournament 100 times, there’s not a single time the Leafs win?

It’s all opinion all around of course, but saying they “can’t contend” because of a single contract that’s produced approximately point per game with league average defence at the 2C spot is an absolutely absurd take.
They "can't contend" because too much of their salary cap is spent on stars who under-perform in the playoffs. They have too little depth, too little talent on defense, and goalies who can't shut things down in a series.

What else is your reasoning for only one appearance in the 2nd round since this core was established? Woll's 2.96 GAA is 36th league-wide, his .908 SV% is 23rd league -wide (GAA and SV% for minimum 20 games played). Aidin Hill was 12th and 13th respectively in those categories last year. Technically yeah anything can happen but counting on a sub-mid level goalie to carry you to playoff success is a fool's bet. I don't see it happening

JukofYork

Mar 22, 2014
Watch that horrific Defense and average goaltending.

They have got better in some areas they need though which was grit and heart but ya with that D ... oh hell no. Oh hell not even past the 1st round.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Leafs seem to be trying to merge into the playoff highway at 30 km/hr this week after the big it up Edmonton game. So I would suggest no, they aren’t really a contender due to their utterly erratic behaviour.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Don't think Keefe has won a single coaching match up in a playoff series hes been in. Constantly making poor decision after poor decision. Maybe this time will finally be his last.

The guy is unable to make either in-game adjustments or game to game adjustments in the postseason. I feel that he's one of the factors holding this team back from winning it all.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Tampa Bay is likely going to catch them and they’ll be a wildcard team

The Leafs going through the Metro is the ideal path - everyone knows their stats against the Atlantic are always bad.

This playoff format hurts them so it would be beneficial if they got to face the Metro.

The winner of the Atlantic nearly always wins the East - so avoiding them as much as possible is actually favourable.

Going through the Metro isn't easy, but at least it leads to some new opponents. Ideally a NYR/Toronto matchup - been a long time since they matched up.

Reactions: authentic

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
The Leafs going through the Metro is the ideal path - everyone knows their stats against the Atlantic are always bad.

This playoff format hurts them so it would be beneficial if they got to face the Metro.

The winner of the Atlantic nearly always wins the East - so avoiding them as much as possible is actually favourable.

Going through the Metro isn't easy, but at least it leads to some new opponents. Ideally a NYR/Toronto matchup - been a long time since they matched up.
:huh:

Do not take your wishes for reality.

If they end up in Wild Card #1 (and it would take quite a slide for them to end up with Wild Card #2), they would most likely face the Bruins or the Panthers in round 1.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
I just can't see them winning 4 7 game series. This core has had how many kicks at the can? If they match up with any of Boston, Tampa, Florida they are cooked.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Any goalie can get hot, including a guy like Woll.

You’re saying if they play this exact tournament 100 times, there’s not a single time the Leafs win?

It’s all opinion all around of course, but saying they “can’t contend” because of a single contract that’s produced approximately point per game with league average defence at the 2C spot is an absolutely absurd take.
Then you can say the same thing for all 16 teams.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
:huh:

Do not take your wishes for reality.

If they end up in Wild Card #1 (and it would take quite a slide for them to end up with Wild Card #2), they would most likely face the Bruins or the Panthers in round 1.

WC1 and Atlantic 2 makes no difference, the teams may be 1 point apart even if you still face the Atlantic

WC1 you have a chance of going through the Metro, Atlantic 3 you got no chance.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
:huh::huh::huh::huh::huh:

That, in no way shape or form answers my comment.

My point was WC1 might be ideal because it can go through the Metro.

WC1 can go through the Metro.
Atlantic 3 can not.

I don't get what part of that is confusing. There's currently a 3 point difference between the 2 teams. At the time I made the post, there was a 1 point difference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad