Are the Ottawa Senators not as bad as people expected them to be?

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Man young players can be fun to watch. It's so much more exciting than late 20s, early 30s players. We draft well, but for some reason it feels like a long time since we had kids contributing so much. Great!

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Teams adding a lot of youth sometimes play well for stretches. Ottawa also has the benefit of playing with a chip on their shoulders since most people counted them out.

Once the grind sets in, I suspect Sens will drop off.

Or with youth, they might say what is a grind? Especially guys like tkachuk that could have hit a wall and suddenly are taking time off now.

I mean...playoffs are unlikely, but it's fun right now.

pown

We are team
Oct 12, 2013
Ottawa
2nd in the league in goals per game only behind washington, pretty crazy start for a team that was suposed to finish last

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Ive maintained for a long time that I dont think that Karlsson is one the better players in the league on the PP.

Everything that makes him special tends to come off the rush at ES. When he's running the PP he always tends to hang on to the puck longer than he should, and it always slowed things down to a crawl as every player on the ice was watching him to see what happened next.

Now we see short quick passes all over the zone constantly, and its the best looking PP that we have seen in Ottawa since the pizza line days. Hopefully it can last..

Absolutely.

EK65 is a beast, one of the best players in the league. But his true strength is ES - rushing the puck up the ice, seeing the entire ice develop.

On the PP, his biggest strength is getting the puck on net which he does really well. Creates screens/deflections. But the team also constantly fed him the puck too much and made the PP way too predictable.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
By that point some of the 4 big prospects in Belleville (Batherson, Brown, Balcers, Chlapik - all ripping it up except the injured brown) should be ready to step in, along with the return of Pageau that will all hopefully help them if anyone is struggling or hurt.

Then there is Jaros and Wolanin also looking and playing like NHL ready Dmen, and 7 other capable Dmen in the NH already.

Ottawa's depth has become surprisingly good all of a sudden.
All players that have a combined 15 NHL games between them. I don’t really call that good depth, more like alright call-up options.

Out of that group, the only player that has gamebreaking potential is Batherson.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Man young players can be fun to watch. It's so much more exciting than late 20s, early 30s players. We draft well, but for some reason it feels like a long time since we had kids contributing so much. Great!
It's because we've been peddling being a bubble team for so long

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Going in, I thought they had enough talent to not be in the bottom 3rd. I also thought that talent would be completely disrupted by everything that's been going on.

Surprised to say I was wrong on that second point.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
One thing I’ve been pretty surprised by is the power play. I expected it to be a lot worse since Karlsson is gone but it actually looks a lot better. The movement is a lot more fluid than it was last year and has genuinely good chances pretty consistently. I think their old coaching style was to drive play through Karlsson so maybe it was a little too predictable. Conversely, I think Kalrsson might not be having the kind of season we all expected him to have now that he plays in a system where there’s more than one cook.

Ever since spezza left and EK became the guy on the PP it’s been the worst in the league. Seriously, the worst. Over a four year span they had the worst PP percentage.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Going in, I thought they had enough talent to not be in the bottom 3rd. I also thought that talent would be completely disrupted by everything that's been going on.

Surprised to say I was wrong on that second point.

The players have a chip on their shoulder. Nobody wants to be the butt end of jokes.

I'm still pessimistic that they can continue picking up points like this and fight for a playoff spot, but good for sens fans so far.

The alternative of being a lottery team with no lottery ticket is a far worse scenario, and they have avoided it, at least for now.

Reactions: GoJetsGo55

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
All players that have a combined 15 NHL games between them. I don’t really call that good depth, more like alright call-up options.

Out of that group, the only player that has gamebreaking potential is Batherson.

I guess that's your humble opinion dude..

We are more optimistic though. People said that same crap about Tkachuk.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
To answer the OP they were suppose to be last coming from most here. Anything above last would be better then people thought haha

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Brown absolutely has game breaking potential, still alot to prove and it's far from certain that he will reach that potential but his skill set is tremendous. Wouldn't rule out Chalpik either, very strong on the puck and has great vision, the potential is there and he probably should be in the NHL right now.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Ever since spezza left and EK became the guy on the PP it’s been the worst in the league. Seriously, the worst. Over a four year span they had the worst PP percentage.

It was so bloody predictable with Karlsson. Always had to touch the puck, no matter what, he'd touch the puck and the movement on the pp was terrible.

Reactions: Skipee

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
It's because we've been peddling being a bubble team for so long

We've drafted well for a while and now it's starting to show. Lajoie, formenton, batherston, balcers via trade, chlapik, jaros. Chabot is a star, white is fun. Finally the old man's club is turning to youth. Hooray!

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Ottawa has won me a lot of money so far betting on the underdog. Vegas went on a run, maybe they just have the right chemistry this year.

Reactions: SensFactor

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think they are benefitting from less drama this year. I mean that is like saying water is wet I know. But with the EK/Hoffman no longer a distraction. Looks like it may have been internal termoil rather than a lack of talent for Ottawa. They certainly don't play like an untalented team.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Kind of bonkers that Lajoie has scored 4 goals in 7 NHL games when he scored 1 in 56 AHL games last year, heck even his best season in junior he only scored 8 goals.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Kind of bonkers that Lajoie has scored 4 goals in 7 NHL games when he scored 1 in 56 AHL games last year, heck even his best season in junior he only scored 8 goals.
The points have been nice but it his play in the D zone that has surprised many,kid is calm and makes great reads...Think he may just be our of a best defensive guy

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
While I'm a Leaf fan, I don't hate any of the other Canadian teams, in fact, I want what's best for them.

So for Ottawa, I want them to finish 9th. They should not make the playoffs because Melnyk doesn't deserve the revenue. They should continue to suck and fans should continue to tune out until an owner change. But they cannot tank this year because they don't have the draft pick. So 9th place finish is the ideal. Hopefully they keep the hot start and then slowly fade down to 9th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad