Are the Ottawa Senators not as bad as people expected them to be?

OttawaKing

May 24, 2012
So you have a better idea of the team than the real fans that live here and have been cheering for the past 20 years. That's what you are saying? It all started with Melnyk screwing Alfredsson over, there is a direct correlation. The worse the treatment of the employees and the players got there has been a direct correlation in attendance. They were really good two years ago... Your statement is false and incorrect. Ottawa is a very educated city and has proven that a team in the core of hte city with strong management is very well supported. The Ottawa Redblacks.

Stop hijacking the thread there are plenty on the sens board if you want to discuss this or the business of hockey. In fact before posting you should probably read those threads first.
I've lived in Ottawa my whole life, but you're right about switching the topic, I was just responding to something I saw about the attendance. The main thing I talked about was comparing this season to previous ones where expectations on us were low and yet we somehow managed to make the playoffs and how its possible that happens next year. It just felt natural to continue on the topic of comparing this year to previous years and mention the difference in standings. I apologize if it derailed the talk. However, I stand by my comment of fair-weather fans. People only go if they expect the Sens to win. Indirectly, Melnyk is the cause, but if stars leave for any reason, regardless of the cause, people will be less likely to come.

Which brings me back to what I originally said(and the topic of this thread), the Sens could end up playing well the year. Like some people have said, Andy loves playing as the underdog, the rookies continue to thrive within their increased responsibilities and guys like Duchene and Stone play like they're supposed to. If they do, I think you will see the attendance increase.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I have to be the bearer of bad news but that kind of play is not stainable. I watched it happened 2 years in a row with Roy as the coach in Colorado. You get some success if the goalie is hot. But as soon as he isn't it's kind of ugly.

Getting out shot by 10-15 a night doesn't lead to good results.

Did you even bother reading what I said?

Since it seemed so hard for you I'll try to make it clearer. Dallas had 10 shots on net with their goalie pulled, compared to Ottawa's 1. Their goalie was pulled because they were trailing by two goals. Think about it. Understanding things like score effects and game flow will go along way for you.

Last edited:

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Did you even bother reading what I said?

Since it seemed so hard for you I'll try to make it clearer. Dallas had 10 shots on net with their goalie pulled, compared to Ottawa's 1. Their goalie was pulled because they were trailing by two goals. Think about it. Understanding things like score effects and game flow will go along way for you.
Lol ok that's fine. But what happened in all your other games then? As an Avs fan I've kind of kept up with the box scores, and seems like getting out shot is a trend not the outlier. I mean you've been drastically out shot in every game except one. I stick by my original post, it's not stainable over 82 games.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Lol ok that's fine. But what happened in all your other games then? As an Avs fan I've kind of kept up with the box scores, and seems like getting out shot is a trend not the outlier. I mean you've been drastically out shot in every game except one. I stick by my original post, it's not stainable over 82 games.

5v5 they’ve been drastically outshot in 3 games. One of which they lead 3-0 after the first period. Looking at a box score severely limits what you amcan take away. There is only one game in which they were dominated and that was the Toronto game. Hell you can go back and look at the Hawks gdt and you will see a lot of their posters pointing to Senators as the team with the better chances despite the shot totals.

Cynick

Know-Nothing
Dec 24, 2008
Toronto
I'm not rooting for them at all.

I've heard enough from Sens fans over the years. "One goal away from the final, we are a greatvteam". Lol. Now they've got a trash team and no first round pick, screw them. They deserve the trash state their team is in.

The team will crash, and the avs will get a great pick. They have absolutely no talent at all. It's a horrific lineup. Which I like, because I like the Avs. Great organization.

Granted, I'm not gonna spend much time thinking about it. Too busy watching my team compete for the cup.

This is approximately your tenth post in this thread alone.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
Good point. I'm excited to see what the standings look like after everyone's played 7. Gonna be such a good season!

I heard that after the conclusion of the regular season and the Sens make the playoffs, those Ottawa fans that have been bitching and whining all season will be slithering their way back to the team and Melnyk with their tails between their legs. Oh the irony! :D

devbouz12

Eugene's dad
Jan 15, 2012
I heard that after the conclusion of the regular season and the Sens make the playoffs, those Ottawa fans that have been *****ing and whining all season will be slithering their way back to the team and Melnyk with their tails between their legs. Oh the irony! :D
Bet u some of them are gonna act like they were on board all along

Reactions: General Zodd

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I'm not rooting for them at all.

I've heard enough from Sens fans over the years. "One goal away from the final, we are a greatvteam". Lol. Now they've got a trash team and no first round pick, screw them. They deserve the trash state their team is in.

The team will crash, and the avs will get a great pick. They have absolutely no talent at all. It's a horrific lineup. Which I like, because I like the Avs. Great organization.

Granted, I'm not gonna spend much time thinking about it. Too busy watching my team compete for the cup.
Didn't your team lose to a trash team you claim have very little interest in. Yet this is about your 10th post on them in this thread, and you even brought them up in the Leafs have 4 of the top scorers in the league thread. That lasted 5 days. Strange way of demonstrating you care little of the Sens. BTW wait until the Leafs can win 1 playoff round before stating absolutes like they will be competing for a cup. Participation marks do not count.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Didn't your team lose to a trash team you claim have very little interest in. Yet this is about your 10th post on them in this thread, and you even brought them up in the Leafs have 4 of the top scorers in the league thread. That lasted 5 days. Strange way of demonstrating you care little of the Sens. BTW wait until the Leafs can win 1 playoff round before stating absolutes like they will be competing for a cup. Participation marks do not count.
yes, please tell us the Leafs can't win a playoff round. Given your comments about Laine being better than Matthews, and the Sens playing an exciting brand of winning hockey, I beg you to speak about the Leafs not winning a playoff round.

If you're talking about the Leafs not being able to win a cup, given the things you've said in the past, and how horribly absurd they've been, and how blatantly and completely idioticly wrong they've turned out, we might as well plan the parade now!!!!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
yes, please tell us the Leafs can't win a playoff round. Given your comments about Laine being better than Matthews, and the Sens playing an exciting brand of winning hockey, I beg you to speak about the Leafs not winning a playoff round.

If you're talking about the Leafs not being able to win a cup, given the things you've said in the past, and how horribly absurd they've been, and how blatantly and completely idioticly wrong they've turned out, we might as well plan the parade now!!!!

You sure have problems with understanding what the topic is on. This time you are in the correct thread, the Ottawa Senators. And there is nothing in this post about the Sens. Which is funny because just yesterday you were in the Leafs have 4 of the top scorers in the NHL, short as that lasted. And you were posting about the Senators, a team you claim you have no time for, a team your team lost to ironically. lol. No time for the Sens you have posted yet this is about the 12th or whatever time you have posted about them.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
You sure have problems with understanding what the topic is on. This time you are in the correct thread, the Ottawa Senators. And there is nothing in this post about the Sens. Which is funny because just yesterday you were in the Leafs have 4 of the top scorers in the NHL, short as that lasted. And you were posting about the Senators, a team you claim you have no time for, a team your team lost to ironically. lol. No time for the Sens you have posted yet this is about the 12th or whatever time you have posted about them.
Just tell me the Leafs can't win a playoff round. I beg you. Just like you told me the Sens play an exciting brand of winning hockey, and that Patrik Laine would win the Calder, and be the best player from his draft.

devbouz12

Eugene's dad
Jan 15, 2012
Just tell me the Leafs can't win a playoff round. I beg you. Just like you told me the Sens play an exciting brand of winning hockey, and that Patrik Laine would win the Calder, and be the best player from his draft.
The sens games have been exciting so far this season, maybe not on par with leaf games but fun nonetheless.

Reactions: NyQuil

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
The sens games have been exciting so far this season, maybe not on par with leaf games but fun nonetheless.
No worries. The other poster has pestered leaf fans quite a bit, trolling them with a lot of comments, but in the process has given us ample material to shove down his throat.

devbouz12

Eugene's dad
Jan 15, 2012
No worries. The other poster has pestered leaf fans quite a bit, trolling them with a lot of comments, but in the process has given us ample material to shove down his throat.
Fair enough. Btw thought you would like this for laughs
62c46c3.png

Sensin5

Jan 27, 2013
Whatever. The outcome was their only loss. The outcome right now is the leafs are at the top of the standings. Just like last year. And the sens are still trash.

Are you aware that SEVEN GAMES IN is a tiny, tiny bit early to declare the Stanley Cup won? Just a little bit. Fans getting rapturous about winning the October Cup is always hilarious, but being delirious about winning the first half of October Cup is downright embarrassing. Lol. Good luck with all that.

Also duly noted from your 25th or so post in this Sens thread that you just don't care about the Sens. Lol again.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
the fact that you had to ask if the melnyk situation has been going on for a while shows that you are just commenting for the sake of commenting

you might consider that he didn't ask

tone is hard to interpret in written word. I didn't take from his sentence, even though it ended in a question mark, that he asked a question. it's a style of speech

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

As an Avs fan am I safe in assuming you didn't grow up playing hockey? Your American? probably didn't spend a lifetime playing.

The boxscore against LA was kinda ugly eh? They beat LA solidly but you don't get that from a boxscore. That Dallas game was tied 1 to 1 going into the 3rd. The Sens dominated, completely dominated, for about 8 minutes and scored 2 goals. up 3 to 1. they had one shot over the remaining 12 minutes. a goal on an empty net. a boxscore will tell you who scored and who took penalties and not much else

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
joe you're not one that can take the high ground and talk about people trolling

Reactions: NyQuil

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
As an Avs fan am I safe in assuming you didn't grow up playing hockey? Your American? probably didn't spend a lifetime playing.

The boxscore against LA was kinda ugly eh? They beat LA solidly but you don't get that from a boxscore. That Dallas game was tied 1 to 1 going into the 3rd. The Sens dominated, completely dominated, for about 8 minutes and scored 2 goals. up 3 to 1. they had one shot over the remaining 12 minutes. a goal on an empty net. a boxscore will tell you who scored and who took penalties and not much else
Lol I love the assumptions, I played. I understand the sport just as well as you. Just because I'm American doesnt make me a hockey moron.

I do agree that box scores don't tell the whole story, but they can give you some insights. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that Anderson at the current level of shots he is facing, is either going to run out of gas or be injured by mid season. It doesn't matter the situation of how the shots happened, 35+ shots against is still 35+ saves the goalie has to make. That's a huge work load for a 38 year old goalie.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Lol I love the assumptions, I played. I understand the sport just as well as you. Just because I'm American doesnt make me a hockey moron.

I do agree that box scores don't tell the whole story, but they can give you some insights. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that Anderson at the current level of shots he is facing, is either going to run out of gas or be injured by mid season. It doesn't matter the situation of how the shots happened, 35+ shots against is still 35+ saves the goalie has to make. That's a huge work load for a 38 year old goalie.

well, your reading boxscore and posting here about games you haven't seen. why you don't get the game I don't understand but I did think it was from not having played. i didn't outright assume, i asked if it was safe to assume. so my apologies there. at least your only reading boxscores. the guys reading the fancy stats and thinking they understand are the worst

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad