Are the Oilers for real?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 26, 2016
I get that people are skeptical after 5 games into the season since the Oilers have been a doormat for the rest of the league for the better part of a decade, so they don't deserve the benefit of the doubt at this point.

Post this thread when the Oilers are still in the playoff race in March. Cause doing it right now is just asking to be flamed and deservedly so. It's WAY too early.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
McDavid is for real.

The Oilers as a team? Eh I wouldn't go that far. Although their start has far surpassed my early season expectations.

The Oilers will go as far as McDavid can drag them. I'm not sure how far that is. They probably only have 1 win so far without him.

Still a couple too many significant holes on the roster right now. Need a legit top 4 RHD puck mover. Need a legit 2nd line RWer (or 3rd line C so one of RNH/Draisaitl can move to wing).

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
No back to backs, no travel, have their been any injuries to deal with yet? They have had a nice easy schedule so far to warm up with, outside of the Blues. Way too many tests still to come to really get an idea of where they will be at the end of the season.

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
I have a feeling some leafs fan created an account to make this thread just to create the same old "Oilers suck" thread. Same **** different pile. Anyway to stay on topic I'm not sure the oilers keep this up but I can't help but be excited, any fan of any team is going to be excited with a decent start, no need to rip on is fans for that... also no need to start threads about it though either.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
No back to backs, no travel, have their been any injuries to deal with yet? They have had a nice easy schedule so far to warm up with, outside of the Blues. Way too many tests still to come to really get an idea of where they will be at the end of the season.

injuries so far
The Monster
Cagullia
Hendricks
davidson
pakerianen
fayne
and ference

this year so far it has not bean the top guys

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Lost Hendricks (4LW), Pakarinen(4RW/13th F), Caggiula (would have started season as 3C or 2nd/3rd line winger) in preseason,and Davidson after 1 game (4/5 Dman on depth chart).

So nothing super substantial, but still a few roster players who have been filled in for fairly well. Would be nice if it kept up after the nightmare of injuries we had last year, which very few teams could have overcome. The team certainly wasn't a playoff team last year with a healthy lineup, but they were better than the 70p's indicated.

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
No. Getting wins has been good but they haven't played amazing at all. McDavid is carrying them.
I'm sure the bubble will burst, it always does...

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
They will make the playoffs because their division is weak. San jose, and Anaheim are locks. Airzona, Calgary, and Vancouver will be lottery teams. La has no starting goalie for awhile. At this point, id bet that the oilers make it. However, in any other division they would finish near the bottom

scan15*

May 11, 2016
GTA
Not yet. They still have some issues defensively. Watched the Calgary games and Buffalo and Carolina. They got outplayed by Buffalo and Carolina and Calgary was playing like crap and couldn't even complete a pass.

But the positive is that they definitely aren't a bad or horrible team. They've taken a step in the right direction. Another thing is that Connor McDavid has about a dozen scoring chances per game so any game is winnable for them. Still think they miss the playoffs though.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
It's going to be such a strange season when Jimmy Howard wins the vezina and Richard Panik wins the rocket. Even those superstars won't be powerful enough to stop the Oilers Dynasty from winning the cup. :popcorn:

In all seriousness though,I wouldn't be surprised to see them make the playoffs and even go on a bit of a run. I don't expect them to maintain their current level of play but a wildcard position and a playoff hot streak aren't totally out of the question.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I thought they had the chance to make the playoffs in the offseason and looking at the division today I'd still say the same.

Some of the top teams, LA& Anaheim are in huge trouble right now and Edmonton has great C group+ solid top4.

Weber's Better
Jul 7, 2008
Much like Montreal their season last year was derailed by injury and they weren't deep enough to overcome all those injuries.

I think the Oilers will make the playoffs if they stay healthy. McDavid is as good as it gets and Draisaitl, RNH is a nice 2-3.

Their D finally looks decent, but Talbot has been terrible

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I told you guys and all of you doubted me...
Edmonton will without a doubt make the playoffs. Look at the talent on that team. Teams in the west like LA and Anaheim are just not as good.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Let me ask you a question, do you really think that edmonton and vancouver will be 1-2 in the division like they are now by the end of the year? There is your answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad