Are the Oilers for real?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
have you seen ANY of the threads about the Oilers on the main page over the last 6+ years?

we're a bubble team that can atleast compete for a possible wild card spot this year. We'll either squeak in, or be within 5pts of the cut

Oilerglory

Jul 1, 2014
The Hague
have you seen ANY of the threads about the Oilers on the main page over the last 6+ years?

we're a bubble team that can atleast compete for a possible wild card spot this year. We'll either squeak in, or be within 5pts of the cut

I agree with this,sounds like a big improvement to me.

We also have the best or perhaps one of the best players in the world now. This changes everything.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
There's still no true #1 dman. It seems like every true contending team has one. Hopefully Klefbom gets there.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I agree with this,sounds like a big improvement to me.

We also have the best or perhaps one of the best players in the world now. This changes everything.

McDavid is the largest factor, and it appears our forward depth can provide a decent amount of secondary scoring. Defense is still a big question mark right now. Is it deep enough to sustain injuries throughout the year, and is it strong enough to hold steady over 82 games.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

6+ years of negative threads---we are not supposed to have positive threads

10coach*

Feb 21, 2014
I don't think they are just yet. I mean the Pacific looks pretty weak this year compared to years past, but you look at the conference as a whole and you see that at least 5, maybe all 7 are better than the Oil it kind of takes you back to reality.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Five games into an 82-game season, so they're obviously for real. Canucks are 4-0-1, with 4 of their games coming back from being down goals in the third. A completely sustainable brand of hockey, don't you think?

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
They've had an easy schedule to start the season overall, but those are the type of games you're supposed to win if you are turning the corner. Beating the blues was also a nice win against a quality team which should give them confidence when they play Washington soon.

10coach*

Feb 21, 2014
I don't think they are just yet. I mean the Pacific looks pretty weak this year compared to years past, but you look at the conference as a whole and you see that at least 5, maybe all 7 in the Central are better than the Oil it kind of takes you back to reality.

Fixed my post

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Five games into an 82-game season, so they're obviously for real. Canucks are 4-0-1, with 4 of their games coming back from being down goals in the third. A completely sustainable brand of hockey, don't you think?

Well to be fair, the thread is exploring the question of the Oilers brand of hockey being sustainable, not the Canucks.

Oilerglory

Jul 1, 2014
The Hague

Relax...I'm not completely sold on them yet.
I'm just curious what HF thinks.Most Oiler fans are gun-shy because of how atrocious
the team has been for the last decade+

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Which season was it when the Oilers jumped out to 5-0 or something and everyone thought the rebuild was over?

That was 2011-12 season, but that start was entirely from unsustainable goaltending. I remember Khabi had something like a 970 Sv% a 1.00 goals against in his first 7 starts and Dubnyk was something like 940 Sv% in the other 4. I think we started 8-2-2, but that obviously wasn't going to last.

I don't know if we'll make playoffs this year, its far too early to look that far ahead. But I do think this team will be far from the basement when the season ends.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
When they played the Blues. I saw some good structure. I'd peg them for the playoffs, especially with how the Pacific is looking.

8LX7psQ

Apr 13, 2010
Possible bubble team. Neither making nor not making the playoffs would surprise me.

Last edited by a moderator:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Their division looks fairly weak, I could see them sneaking into a playoff spot if that's what you define as for real. McDavid gives them a legit chance to steal games, and Talbot seems competent enough to occasionally bail out their D.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Well to be fair, the thread is exploring the question of the Oilers brand of hockey being sustainable, not the Canucks.

Yes, and my post is exploring the hyperbolic sense that fans typically get into when their team goes on a hot streak to start the season. It's five games into the season, so it's way too early to decide whether a team is for real or not. The only teams that can be described as for real are those that have proven themselves to be real. The Oilers haven't done that yet.

theranfordflop

Jul 2, 2003
Vancouver
I'm an Oilers fan, I've watched every game, and I'm happy with the results so far, but if they continue to play as they're playing, I don't see a playoff team.

I think there's a lot more compete in their game. The role players are stepping up so far. Talbot's last two starts have been better. But watching the games, I don't see much of an improvement in how the top 6 play the game. Everything is on the rush, as it's been for many seasons, and while that might be okay now, defences are going to start tightening up and teams are going to need to learn how to grind, go low to high, and grease out a few.

We're also seeing some really poor execution on the powerplay, and that's been a problem for a while. Too casual, too slow, poor decisions. A lot of Oilers fans think that's a Woodcroft issue, but I think it's just top players being out of sync. Maybe a bit of a lack of creativity, too many guys who defer on the ice, not enough guys who will take the reigns. You can't have McDavid rush it up every time.

We'll see how things go, I hope the team gels a little more and we get to see some meaningful games in February/March this year.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Yes, and my post is exploring the hyperbolic sense that fans typically get into when their team goes on a hot streak to start the season. It's five games into the season, so it's way too early to decide whether a team is for real or not. The only teams that can be described as for real are those that have proven themselves to be real. The Oilers haven't done that yet.

Thankfully thats mainly the response so far in this thread. Things appear to be much improved from years passed, but no one is expecting a Stanley Cup contender.

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
Well, they look great. Not sure what the hold up is with the McDavid jersey being lifted to the rafters of the new place.

What are they waiting on?

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
If by for real you mean lottery team, maybe.

There's an awful lot of you guys bragging about your team selecting first ovevrals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad